Quantcast

Let's get ready to rumble!!! Maribor WC!!!

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by jonKranked, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    391 / 3,906
    Holy shit just now seeing this... Rob Warner's moustache... Did he lose a bet or something?

• Horns Horns x 1

Please register to disable this ad.

2. aaronjb

aaronjb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 122
    Great result for Harrison

• Like Like x 1
  3. slimshady

slimshady ¡Mira, una ardilla!

Rep/Likes:
    51 / 612
    Agreed. It's awesome how much he progressed.

4. 6thElement

6thElement Schrodinger's Immigrant

Rep/Likes:
    87 / 1,683
    Thoughts and prayers required for Rock Jesus if he's going to win the overall.

• Horns Horns x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jackalope

jackalope Mental acuity - 1%

Rep/Likes:
    247 / 1,665
    Peat is clean shaven....they can't both be clean shaven at one time. Pretty sure it's in the UCI rule book.

As for Charlie Harrison, he's now my new fave. Love his riding style .

6. rpet

rpet Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    27 / 252
    Great racing, and that track looks like it would be fun af to ride!

7. Electric_City

Electric_City The orangutans are loose!

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 271
    I've always been the anti-29er. But watching these racers, again, proves my point. The riders are trying to WORK the bike so much more than RIDE the bike. They're sucking up the bike so much just to clear tables, barely clearing that step-down, barely clearing anything. I didn't see any rider individuality. It just looked like the same rider coming down the course until Hart. Coincidence or not? Maybe some racers belong on 29'ers like Moir and Minnar. But The Industry™ DOES NOT LIKE INDIVIDUALITY! If one bike is a 29'er, all bikes will be 29'ers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    161 / 1,562
    And it sucks

9. toodles

toodles Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 676
    How rowdy was Brook's near miss! Legend keeping it upright till the end. And Hart's shenanigans through the rock garden were awesome. Great stuff. Coverage is just getting better and better.

• Like Like x 6
  10. jstuhlman

jstuhlman We noticed.

Rep/Likes:
    346 / 3,699
    agree-coverage was quite good overall

• Like Like x 1
  11. shelteringsky

shelteringsky Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 98
    Agree with your sentiments about 29ers but I don't buy the "I finally found a bike that fits me and it's a 29er - ZOMG!!!!" argument. If adult males can ride BMX bikes then Minnaar can sure as hell ride well enough on 650b or even better 26".

It isn't an issue of correct sizing with taller riders like Minnaar and Moir - it just means they don't get the rear tyre up their ass as much as the shorter guys.

12. aaronjb

aaronjb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 122
    Latest CathroVision blocked on YouTube due to a copyright claim... dude can't catch a break.

13. xy9ine

xy9ine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 134
    odd. RB conflict, perhaps? also: as much as eliot jackson is super rad, the new analysis vid feels like RB is maneuvering to steal ben's succesful concept, and (perhaps) push him out. would not put it past them...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Electric_City

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 271
    I fully agree. I just said that for the sake of avoiding the argument with others that said Minnar finally looks proportionately proper on a bike.

• Like Like x 2
  15. toodles

toodles Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 676
    Bummed when I woke up early this morning to watch the replay, open Redbull app and on the front page was "Rewatch so-and-so's winning run" for both the mens and women's winners.

Yeah thanks guys.

• Horns Horns x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. toodles

toodles Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 676
    Also, every Mens EWS and DH this year has been won by a 27.5/29er combo bike. What are the lizards up to?

17. sethimus

sethimus scroll all you want!

Rep/Likes:
    15 / 188
    just watch it live like the rest of us?

18. toodles

toodles Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 676
    Normally I do. But it was like 11pm on a Sunday here.

19. Flo33

Flo33 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    27 / 322
    Prime watching time, kids and wife asleep.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Happymtb.fr

Happymtb.fr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 167
    They are just secretly copying me :boss:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Happymtb.fr

Happymtb.fr Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 167
    Bruni and Hart were both successful on their new bikes, Gwin and the Athertons were a little less...

22. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    They are not barely clearing shit because of 29ers. First off all Slavic school of building jumps is to make them as hard as fucking possible. Second most of the jumps are natural jumps on the track. I know that track well and it's just hard to time everything properly (and yeah I know I'm no WC pro but even if you are one the lips are short and so are the landings so ofc it will look wonky). Plus you are tired as shit during your race run.

Also I don't think the riding styles were so similar. If you watch Cathro and interviews you will see some riders trying to take highlines and some trying to maintain speed. In 3/4 of the cases it's faster to take the longer route but maintain speed on this track. So yeah if one style of riding is faster here you will see more of it. It's obvious.

Also @kidwoo you're turning into American Gary.

#142 -   Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. vinny4130

vinny4130 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 96
    Aaron must have picked the XL frame, he did not look like normal. To me it like he was holding on, when I think of his riding style it’s very precise. But an out of sorts Aaron is still 6th, anyone but him and that’s a great result on a new team his or not.

24. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    Imho Maribor being a strange track vs what we currently have on the rooster may have screwed some riders. Inside lines not being faster in many cases is against common knowledge. A ton of pumping not just smashing into things is also atypical. Loic himself though he was not going fast in practice and timed training. From the last year top dogs Gwin wasn't the only one that was below his usual results. Pierron was behind him. Laurie Greenland wasn't too fast either. On the other hand you have 3 riders with a very bikeparky style in top20 - Willson, Kerr and Masters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. shelteringsky

shelteringsky Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 98
    I'm with EC here. With the exception of Hart, Loic and Harrison's run, the riders all pretty much looked the same. It bears out in the times as well. Top ten riders within just over 3s and top 20 within ~5s. Very tight racing without much spread going on.

• Like Like x 1
  26. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    391 / 3,906
    got the link? is it possibly a regional thing?

27. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    391 / 3,906
    RB is starting to get a little heavy handed, and if they think they're gonna get away with this they can fuck right off

• Like Like x 1
  28. slimshady

Rep/Likes:
    51 / 612
    He re-uploaded the video without the stupid music being played from the RB boombox truck. It's online again:

29. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    391 / 3,906
    ah thanks for clarifying.

30. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    Again riders looked the same because a specific riding style wins on this track. This may be track related not bike related. Also technique tends to converge once the sport matures. MMA is a decent example. There used to be a much bigger variety in styles than you get now.

Also you are wrong on tight racing. It's a 1.9km track. Also 3s spread in top10 isn't unusual. Remember Willingen on the WC scene? Not to mention as the sport matures the skill difference between competitors becomes smaller. Again a common thing in all sports. So yes splits are becoming smaller but a) on certain tracks b) it's not bike related as much c) when it's bike related it's mostly related to most bikes being good now, not most bikes being 29ers. d) you are basing it off one track. There used to be races with low splits. In 2014 in Maribel the top10 was separated by 4s. Top20 by 6s. For a track where the best time was 3m16s not sub 3min. Val D'Isere had a 2.5s split for a 2.2min track in 2012.

• Like Like x 1
  31. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    It may be a moronic YT content ID setting and it got auto blocked. YT Content id is not the best at it's job.

• Like Like x 2
  32. rpet

rpet Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    27 / 252
    Yeah - YouTube copyright infringement is an algorithm (basically Shazam), so blame the robots, not the lizards.

• Like Like x 1
  33. rpet

rpet Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    27 / 252
    Also, I think Norbar is on point, and going slow while looking unique is not what racing is about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  34. shelteringsky

shelteringsky Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 98
    So if they have the same riding style then wouldn't they look the same when they ride down a hill? And don't you think that having 29er wheels may happen to influence your style of riding?

No, I'm not :).

You clearly had to go digging for those numbers and they are the exception not the rule. And let's not pretend that Willingen was a DH track - it was glorified 4X track and doesn't count ;)

Considering most of the field is on the wagon wheels now, I think we'll see a reduced spread in times in the classic venues like Ft Bill and MSA compared to last year. Their reduced maneuverability and better rollover make for less interesting line choices. I mean, seems like a lot of people say that riding the bigger wheels feels slower (Cathro included) so you would expect that it would probably look slower and not as exciting as well.

35. Electric_City

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 271
    Even that race from last year (where someone rode a hardtail to prove how smooth the courses are becoming) - they were all on 29'ers and could BARELY clear the tabletops. Watch today's racing and then go back and watch racing from 5,even 10 years ago. It was fun, ballsy and different every week.

Maybe there's too many berms and tables anymore, but it's getting boring

36. slimshady

Rep/Likes:
    51 / 612
    A tight track will certainly take a toll on a 29er's speed. And having to constantly fight the bigger momentum and to get back to speed after a sudden stop will certainly take a toll on the rider. We have already discussed how motorways would be the default desing for WC DH tracks if the 29er trend on the bike industry keeps going.

I think Maribor was an excellent example of why such a technical track favors riders on more maneuverable/nimble bikes and with a BMX racing experience.

37. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    So yeah I am not saying bigger wheels are not an influence but plotting a trend line from one data point and ignoring every factor that could influence tightening race times IF THEY HAPPEN this year but bigger wheels is wrong. I also don't like big wheels but you your prejudice clouds your judgement. Even if big wheels are the main influence I hope you are not studying anything or a forecaster since if you can't decouple personal biases from your analysis you will be bad at your job. I don't really have the problem with 29ers being bad/good/potato but I have problems with bad analysis, based on ignoring data and faulty logic. Also you never know if 297.5 will get popular later this season. Plus having a huge bike probably influences how hard it is to jump too. Not only in wheel size but also in wheelbase and long as shit chainstays. Gee always looked super composed and he is known for liking 18''+ CS length.

• Like Like x 1
  38. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 298
    Though you can pull a mechanial taketown too. I was just saying you can't be 100% sure.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Gary

Gary "S" is for "neo-luddite"

Rep/Likes:
    47 / 714
    I honestly can't even work out where Woo's hatred of tight pants comes from
    All young people wear tight pants these days.
    This doesn't affect us as we're no longer young and we know we'd look like dicks in tight pants
    No one our age races WC anymore being so old and wearing tight pants doesn't affect them.
    Unless it's some sort of odd sexuality crisis I just don't get why you'd protest so much about having to watch fit young men in tight pants do the sport you love way better than you yourself can anymore.

I'm not against new stuff for the sake of it.
    I just know what I like and don't like a bit better than most and a lot of what I like is now considered old skool (smaller wheels & shorter reach bikes etc.)
    My preferences are based on experience. Not fear of new new shiny shiny... Let's not forget I ride the most technically advanced gravity bike on this forum ;)
    I rode three 29ers today (2x derps 1xDH). They all manualled fine, they were all playful. All 3 whip nice. But I still don't like how they turn (or how you have to ride them when turning) from riding with younger riders who have 29" wheels and riding 29" fairly frequently I'd quite probably be faster a lot of places on one. but I'd also enjoy riding my bike less. I don't race so it's a no brainer not to buy one. If I did race and took it seriously I'd maybe think differently. Thank fuck I don't.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    446 / 2,869
    We need a Kidwoo sanctioned race series. Mandatory shin length Dickies, wife beater, Moto helmet, 26" wheels, wrought iron frames, 120 mm rotors, untimed, penalized for pedaling, points based on skidz.

#160 -   Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1