Quantcast

Let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
My guess:

Santorum - 1st
Ron Paul - 2nd
Romney - 3rd

It ends up being a heartbreaking 3rd place finish for Romney who never really recovers. His NH poll numbers start dropping tomorrow, and even though he might win there, it won't be anywhere near the 40+ lead he's got now...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Interesting "entry-polling" stats: 13% of the caucus-goers are under 30, and 58% of them support Ron Paul. Over 65 is 32% (?) of caucus-goers, and Romney is their #1 choice with 28%...

Also a note (watching MSNBC) that evangelicals are turning out in the same numbers as in '08, where Huckabee won (and then proceeded to drop off the face of the earth).

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Ron Paul 3,821 24.1%
Mitt Romney 3,650 23.0%
Rick Santorum 3,636 22.9%
Newt Gingrich 2,058 13.0%
Rick Perry 1,571 9.9%
Michele Bachmann978 6.2%
Jon Huntsman 106 0.7%
Others 48 0.3%

15.9% of precincts reporting
Two thoughts:

1) Looks like Mitt still can't break that ~23% barrier, whether in Iowa or nationwide.
2) Gingrich and Perry are still doing better than I would have thought... I honestly thought that they were going to break harder for Santorum.

Entrance polling from MSNBC - Evangelicals went:

1 - Santorum 30%
2 - Paul 24%
3 - Gingrich 14%
4 - Romney 13%

That means they f**king hate Romney, to the point that they're still voting for both the batsh!t crazy guy and the serial adulterer over the Mormon.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I'm telling you. I'm probably one of 2 or 3 somewhat sane conservative-ish people that post on the forum, and I'm sure as fvck not voting for any of these idiots.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Paul isn't bat**** crazy, he's just a normal Christian fundamentalist.
Paul *is* batsh!t crazy. Santorum is the normal, Christian fundamentalist.

WashPo said:
In his Senate office, on a shelf next to an autographed baseball, Sen. Rick Santorum keeps a framed photo of his son Gabriel Michael, the fourth of his seven children. Named for two archangels, Gabriel Michael was born prematurely, at 20 weeks, on Oct. 11, 1996, and lived two hours outside the womb.

Upon their son's death, Rick and Karen Santorum opted not to bring his body to a funeral home. Instead, they bundled him in a blanket and drove him to Karen's parents' home in Pittsburgh. There, they spent several hours kissing and cuddling Gabriel with his three siblings, ages 6, 4 and 1 1/2. They took photos, sang lullabies in his ear and held a private Mass.
:crazy:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm telling you. I'm probably one of 2 or 3 somewhat sane conservative-ish people that post on the forum, and I'm sure as fvck not voting for any of these idiots.
This is why the current Republican party no longer stands a chance with anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together. It's turned into a bloody sideshow, reality TV at its finest. Professional politicians these morons are not.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Damn, they're calling Ron Paul for 3rd place. That blows my bracket out of the water....

Now the question is, with 88% in and Santorum/Romney tied with 25% each, does Romney play out the tiniest win as "aha, a win's a win, on to NH", or is the main story going to be "Romney can't get more than 25% even when people start voting..."

My guess is that people are already trying to spin this to suit their candidate.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Goodbye crazy cat lady. Kind of too bad really, I feel like her batsh*t potential had barley been tapped. Alas, what LULZ we could have had.
Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann has suspended her campaign for the White House.
After a dismal, sixth place finish in Tuesday night's Iowa caucuses, the Minnesota congresswoman canceled a campaign trip to South Carolina and scheduled a news conference for Wednesday.
Even before the official announcement, reports surfaced of her plans. The National Journal quoted a senior Republican official who said the candidate realized "there was no viable way forward."
Bachmann, 55, had told a small group of supporters Tuesday night that she was staying in the presidential race — as the only true conservative who can defeat President Barack Obama. But her campaign was known to be low on money.
She peaked early with a first place finish in the Iowa GOP's summer straw poll, but by mid- to late September polling showed Bachmann in single digits. She focused her campaign efforts on Iowa, where she grew up.
This campaign suspension leaves her supporters up for grabs as Rick Santorum tries toestablish himself as the conservative heavyweight in the Republican race. Santorum's near-tie with caucus winner Mitt Romney topped a risefrom deep in the polls to contender for the presidential nomination.
http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/04/9946872-after-dismal-iowa-showing-bachmann-suspends-campaign

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Despite not liking Santorum or Romney, I'm glad to see such a tight race. It reinforces the idea that everyone's vote counts.
Totally agree. **Eight** people separated Romney from Santorum. If 9 more people had showed up for Santorum (a couple families), there'd be a different winner of Iowa. Shows that everyone needs to get out and vote.

A couple thoughts on last night:

1) Turnout sucked. There was the same turnout as '08, back when the Republican party was supposedly demoralized, *and* as many as 12,000 Democrats/Independents showed up (presumably to back Ron Paul). That would mean that fewer Republicans actually decided to turn out than in '08...

2) Bachmann (6%) just dropped out of the race. Perry's (10%) about to. Either or both of those numbers added on to someone like Santorum and we'd have a *very* different storyline today, something along the lines of "Romney distant second in Iowa for 2nd caucus in a row".

3) Even though the pro-Romney people are trying to spin it as a victory for their candidate, getting the exact same % of voters as you got 4 years ago (fewer actual votes, I think) can not be good for him... Paul Begala tweeted the following:

In '08 Romney got 30,021 votes. Last night he got 30,015. Mitt & his SuperPAC spent $4 mill to lose 6 votes.
4) The fact that Gingrich got SCREWED by a SuperPAC benefiting from Citizens United is *awesome*. You want unlimited corporate cash in elections, be prepared to reap the whirlwind.

Anyway, a fun night of drinking and watching Clusterf*&k to the White House. Can't want to see what happens next.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I just caught bachman's speech.

She pronounced poignant "poyg nint"
How would that faggy French speaker in the magic underwear pronounce it? Not like Bachmann, a true American patriot, and hardcore (Jesus totally gets to put it in her asshole) Christ-lover, I'm sure.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Figured I'd put this here, as opposed to starting a brand-new thread on other primaries...

Turnout in the Florida GOP primary was down by 300,000 voters (15%) from 2008, and of the people who bothered to vote, 38% wish that they had another choice...

As has been noted in other contests, turnout was either down or the same as 2008 but also had a decent number of independents and Democrats crossing over to vote in the GOP primary. Since Florida had a closed primary, it was the first chance to see how enthusiastic the Republicans are about voting and the answer is...... not at all. Obama won FL by a margin of only 240,000 votes back in '08, and I can't imagine that the loss of 300k primary voters signals anything other than the fact that the GOP is in for a very, very tough fight in November.

Maybe Americans aren't so dumb after all?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Looks like turnout in NV was down by ~25%, with Romney getting fewer votes (and a lower percentage of the total) than he did in 2008. Next up is Colorado, but since it's a closed caucus I'm guessing that only $tinkle will be attending? Unless you got that change-of-party notification in in time, Pesqueeb...