Let's hear it for douglas!!!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Thanks everyone!

It was my first ever XC win ! WOOT!! :D

Here's a little race summary, Masters of the Mountain series race#1:

It was so crazy humid/hot - I knew I'd definitely would need lots of fluids during the race - luckily a dude I know from Dalton brought a friend to hand him fresh water bottles each lap and the friend hooked me up too.

The course was pretty nice, lots of places to pass and some pretty fun spots, a few climbs, a crazy (no passing) ridge section with cliffs on the right & left, a couple short steep fast descents, one of which had a matching short steep incline it was a ridiing a roller coaster - of course there was a really muddy section-that sucked, and 3 spots to catch air on the downhill finish.
12 or so guys in my group (sport 30-39), I went out hard and after the sprint I ended up 3rd, but I wasn't able to keep up with the lead group so I lost sight of them, but then one of guys flatted so I passed him, and after lap one I could see the leader, and I slowly caught up to him on the longest climb, we chatted for a while, swapped the lead a few times, asked each other how far back we thought the #3 guy was. The humidity was making it brutal!
Then just before the end of lap two I pulled away from him (I should mention during the race I passed a bunch of younger guys, and lapped some of the beginners and two 40plus dudes caught up & passed me!) - but I held my groups lead for the last lap and ended up with my first ever XC race win! WOOT! just under 15 miles, 1:28

oh, and my friend from Dalton won his group (sport 19-29)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
thanks man! after the finish I biked straight to the garden house and drenched myself

a fast pace?? I beleive the pro that won did 5 laps (about 24 miles) in 2:02 ! thats sick!!