Quantcast

lets see you turners

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA

i'm waiting on Mag Codes....Wider Sunline Bar....New Pedals(wellgo mags again)....Fresh derailleur, cassette, shifter, and chain.....new saddle....new grips.....

weight is 39 lbs with a pretty burly build.....new parts should get it around 38.5....we'll see

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Where did that spring retainer on your shock come from?

On my 05, I had to turn the stock fox retainer so the slot was alligned with the link to prevent contact..

it is a sunline stem...on a risse crown I would guess...

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
is that a spacer between head tube and the bottom crown of the 888?
Unfortunately that is a 2.5mm spacer. The crown has just a hair too much curve and I had to put a thin spacer in so it wouldn't hit the headset. The top of the Sunline headsets are really flat. The bars measure in at 41.25 inches from the ground to center of the bar end. The post is branded Sunline, but that is not the design that may or may not come out if there was a Sunline seat post to come out. Hmmm....

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Can't say enough good things about the new DHR.
One of the best options for a DH race bike for sure.
Top notch quality, and backed by a company with legendary customer service.
The only problem has been lack of availability, but they should be easier to find in 08.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
by the way. . . . . . . veery pinkbike-esque thread :plthumbsdown:
And your contribution of the DHR you never rode that would have been a different color with matching I9 wheels but didn't pan out because you went "pro" for Transition is a perfect contribution. :lighten:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Dude, take that spacer out ASAP and get a different headset.
There is no spacer on the bottom crown!! It does look weird in the photo though. Their is a 2.5mm spacer in the top of the headset under the top crown. the front end is low and it rides well. The Sunline headset has a pretty low stack height. I attached some photos of the headtube. Sorry they are really bad.

Speaking of spacers on the top crown but not to change the subject. When I lived back east, there was some guy that raced DH on a hardtail and he ran something like a Rockshox Indy fork in which he welded a tube at the bottom of the steerer tube so that he could raise the front end of his bike. There was a HUGE gap between the top crown and bottom of the headtube. Does anybody else remember this?

Attachments

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.............goddamn it looked like there was about a 10mm headset spacer between the lower crown and lower cup.

My bad dude, the angle of the pic (and my not being familiar with the new 888 line) made it tough to understand what was going on.

That being said, I love my 06 DHR, hopefully going to get an '08 frame within a year, once my XC bike is all squared away.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
yeah, that kit looks neat....i just had a friend tear it apart and rebuild it for me......i had no idea you could get a 5th element to perform as well is this one does for me....i'm pretty flabberghasted
I have a Sunday tunes Swinger and it works great too. For some reason better than the 5th I had on the bike first. The travel just seems very controlled.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Hey jason, how are you liking that Zoke? Looks like the RC3 WC? Any issues so far? I'm looking to replace my '05 RC with either the RC3 WC or the ATA WC and appreciate any input.
It is an RC3 WC. I haven't ridden too much real rough stuff yet because most of it is covered in snow. So far, I do really like it. I had the air one last year and I could never get mine to feel as good as my previous RC2X. I went with this one becasue I was willing to give up some weight for performance. I am glad that I did even though they say that the ATA WC is better this year than it was last year. A friend of mine that rides a Boxxer couldn't believe how good my fork felt compared to his after testing it on a short rock garden.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I don't know, i reckon the dorado looks out of proportion to the rest of the frame.

As an aside, why are they going back to the dorado anyway?? Manitou, just make a 180-203mm travis with TPC+ damping and air spring. Infact, make an upgraded xvert carbon with 35mm legs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's probably just the name. A lot ppl have sentiments for dorado (well the early ones) and travis sold like crap. Kinda usual thing to do when sth sells bad you go to previous model name.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
The dorados looked sweet, and they worked awsome, but mine was flexy as hell and i ended up with cracked crowns and carbon legs. They have now gone and taken 1-2lbs out of the fork, i have serious reservations about how they will hold up.

They should have gone back to the xvert carbon, just beefed up the legs so they don't snap. Anyway..........

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
As an aside, why are they going back to the dorado anyway?? Manitou, just make a 180-203mm travis with TPC+ damping and air spring. Infact, make an upgraded xvert carbon with 35mm legs.
Totally agree, and like you said weight savings that significant in an invert (that's also now physically bigger) just means horribly low wall thicknesses.

But I don't think it's even worth talking about anymore, Manitou's never gonna do things perfect - it's always going to be one step forward / two steps back. Nice to see they've gone back to TPC+ at least. :)