Quantcast

Let's Talk 29er Tires...........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay so compared to the 26" world, there aren't nearly as many tire choices for the big wheeled bikes.......but there are some pretty good choices out there and others in the works (Panaracer, Kenda etc. etc.)

What are you currently running and why? (me = WTB exiwolfs front and rear)

And

What would you like to see become available in the future and why? (me - some Kendas with Stick E Rubber in a 2.3 high volume tire...which I think are on the way)

I betcha I know what bcd is looking for - some wide and tough and beefy 29er tires for his Inedible conversion bike!

now......on with the discussion!

Cheers,

Mark

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Shal I try set up a list to pick from?
29" tires 2.1 and over, or really big 2.0's that are like 2.2.

Maxxis Ignitor
High Roller (rare)

WTB (all sold wire at some point, now folding) Nanoraptor
Motoraptor
Exiwolf

Kenda Klaw F+R
Bontrager XR F+R
AcX

Specialized Fast Trak

IRC Mythos F+R
Notos

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35
Little Albert

Continental Vapor

Who's got that many tires?

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I'm on Ignitors now. Was on Exis, but they got too packed up in the early season mud last year, so on went the Ignitors.

Wish list? 2.5, heavy casing, and a 6" travel burly frame to go with them...

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Big'uns on their way :
Kenda Nevegal 2.1" - biggest meanest 2.1" ever
Panaracer Rampage 2.3", new tread
WTB Weirwolf 2.55

Kenda investing in a new tire machine to be able to make bigger tires. There has been a mention of Small Block 8.

XC tires on their way :
- Hutchinson Python (cross your fingers, don't hold breath)
- Maxxis Crossmark
- (rumored) Bigger Kenda Karma 2.2, current 2.2 will be renamed 2.0.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Conti Vapor is like a big CX tire more than an XC mtb tire IMO - it came with the used wheelset I bought for my Karate Monkey - it has long removed from the bike now.

The high volume Exiwolf is nice cush on the back end of my KM so far.

I do like the knob pattern of the Maxxis Ignitors - anyone know a good source for them on the cheap like? ;)

sickbullit

Chimp
Feb 23, 2006
i've got two sets i run on my waltworks. I use CXP33's laced to Kings...i know not the burliest of wheels, when i kill the CXP's I'm thinking i'll move on to Salsa Delgados...

for dirt roadin', and bike pathin' i run IRC Mythos 38's (CX tires), i can keep up with the roadies at the local paved trails on these bad boys...not much good in the rough stuff though. Will work on hardpack in a pinch...but since i'm running rigid, it's kind of a beating. I keep them aired up hard at like 70psi.

for real trail riding i put an Exiwolf 2.3 on front, and a Nanoraptor 2.1 on back. It's a decent setup...and pretty cushy. I run these around 30PSI or so...

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Cloxxki said:
Shal I try set up a list to pick from?
29" tires 2.1 and over, or really big 2.0's that are like 2.2.

Maxxis Ignitor
High Roller (rare)

WTB (all sold wire at some point, now folding) Nanoraptor
Motoraptor
Exiwolf

Kenda Klaw F+R
Bontrager XR F+R
AcX

Specialized Fast Trak

IRC Mythos F+R
Notos

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35
Little Albert

Continental Vapor

Who's got that many tires?

The shop I run has everything in stock & also a set of each for DEMO but the Conti & Specialized. We also specialize in 29'ers and try to feed the masses for it.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
gnurider1080 said:
you work for probably what is the coolest bike shop in existence. my shop is like the big corporation bike shop so black sheep is totally the exact opposite. do you guys have stickers with the black sheep on them?

hey - we do. shoot me your email on PM and i'll get you out some

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
To everyone - thanks for the kind words. We've been open a year & we are the "niche" shop. Steel, fixed gears, single speeds, 29ers & cyclocross. The shop is amazing and makes me happy (for once) to be working in this industry.