Quantcast

Lets talk about 24"...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
... tires!

So I've been hunting a bit and need some assistance in this area.

I'm going to use my Tonic for trails, street, and park so I don't want burly knobby tires, but I don't want to just run slicks either. I typically run a bigger front tire, but I was thinking 2.2ish for the front and a 1.9ish for the rr. Here are my thoughts so far.

Primo Dirtmonster on the back?
Halo Twinrail (ft and maybe rr, do they make a slimmer then the 2.1)
Holy rollers (they seem a little heavy)?
Kenda kiniptions, ft and rr , or other options from them?
Tioga FS100, rr?
Schwalbe Table top, ft?

Maybe I am missing something else, but these seem like the good picks.

Thanks for your help.

Sean

Chimp
May 16, 2006
Check out the Specialized Compound Sport BMX Tire on the Specialized site.

24x2.0 / 803gm

$14

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm in love with Halo Twin Rails. So fast and smooth. And they are made of a soft compound that seems to grab well on most surfaces.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Mmm, not a fan or soft compound tires. They have their place, but for street and park I guess I prefer something thats a little harder. I am interested in the Twin rail, but I'm also interested in what Brad suggested.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
TableTop 2.25 up front and Tioga FS100 2.1 out back on my Molly...
there is only a few milimeters difference between the two according to my calipers; not too fat, not too skinny (I tried a maxxis holy roller 1.85 out back and it was threatening my rim of dents, haha).
TT + FS = Best mix of lightest and best grip (for me) out of all I've tried, and I've used all the tires you listed except for the twinrail. Kiniptions are heavier and fatter than FS100.
Or shoot for the Tioga CompIII 2.125, I actually really like it as a front tire, although loose on the street. Much lighter than the atomlab repros.
steer clear of the colored twinrails, they are beefcakes.

I wish KHE would hurry up and roll out some of their kevlar rubber in duece quad dimensions.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Mmm, not a fan or soft compound tires. They have their place, but for street and park I guess I prefer something thats a little harder. I am interested in the Twin rail, but I'm also interested in what Brad suggested.
I like the Aarow Launch for skid tricks at the park , it's got a harder rubber compond so it slides really well .the tire also has lil knobs and grips like crazyglue on loose dirt and gravel , for "real" street I havent found a tire better than this for the rear.

Up front it's another story i like the holy Roller for it's sheer size the 2.4 are huge , and given the tread pattern they spin very well for front wheel park trick's like 360 nosepicks .

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I agree with the KHE thing. I just slapped a pair on my 20 and after the first couple of rides I'm really liking them. I haven't gone offroad with them yet, but they have been great in parks.

Where can you get a Table top in the US? It seems like most places are sold out of them.

Also, what was your issue with the Holly Roller? I have the 26" version on my Mob and they seem really good.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
TableTop 2.25 up front and Tioga FS100 2.1 out back on my Molly...
there is only a few milimeters difference between the two according to my calipers; not too fat, not too skinny (I tried a maxxis holy roller 1.85 out back and it was threatening my rim of dents, haha).
TT + FS = Best mix of lightest and best grip (for me) out of all I've tried, and I've used all the tires you listed except for the twinrail. Kiniptions are heavier and fatter than FS100.
Or shoot for the Tioga CompIII 2.125, I actually really like it as a front tire, although loose on the street. Much lighter than the atomlab repros.
steer clear of the colored twinrails, they are beefcakes.

I wish KHE would hurry up and roll out some of their kevlar rubber in duece quad dimensions.
i run the same set up (thanks v-digit) and could not be happier. tires are light, perfect width, grippy and fast rolling but still hook up on dirt/street/park etc. i will be running the khe's shortly for park and street riding to loose even more weight.

no matter what you do run a tabletop up front. everything else is super heavy and the table top hooks up better than anything i have run in 24 including max daddys and holly rollers

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I agree with the KHE thing. I just slapped a pair on my 20 and after the first couple of rides I'm really liking them. I haven't gone offroad with them yet, but they have been great in parks.

Where can you get a Table top in the US? It seems like most places are sold out of them.

Also, what was your issue with the Holly Roller? I have the 26" version on my Mob and they seem really good.
Sourcing a Table Top in the US shouldn't be much of a problem, at least compared to getting your hands on a 24" FS100 in NorthAmerica... although tioga claims they are stepping up and sending more that way (aka the "Skidrow" too).
I picked up my TT quite awhile ago from one of the internet sites... think it was universal cycles... ?
You would not be disappointed with the tabletop as a front though. You'll drop weight like lipo. Weighed mine in at just about 475-480g, lighter than listed on the box even, just over a pound!! about the same as your 20" KHE Street tires. (hey dexter, based on the weights of the current KHE bmx tires, I wouldn't bargain on losing any more weight over a TableTop.)

Yeah, I like the regular holy rollers, they are proven, but just way larger than I would care to run on a 24" (or even 26") street bike. So, I decided to give the bmx cruiser version in 1.85 width a try. But, then I thought that if I cased too hard if the psi was anything less than cement, my bfr's would take a beating. I'd rather go with the Primo dirtmonster 1.85 over the holy roller 1.85. I've still got the 1.85 holy roller if you want to give it a try, just pm me.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
third the tabletop, FS100 setup. its great on everything. i did like my dmr moto tire in the front while i had it for a couple years.

alienation site says they'll have tires in 08. kinda want to see what they have cookin.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
alienation does not have any 24in tires coming out with this release, or thats what they told me emailing back and forth a few months ago. it seems as if they plan on making some in the future tho and i told them about the high interest in light, smooth, and durable designs for 24 and 26 and the extreme lack of availability.

like i said before for all mixed riding, bite the bullet, order a fs100 from chain reaction cycles (or find a few other people to split shipping with, wish i thought of this earlier) and have your lbs order up a table top light from qbp. light tires make all the difference in the world

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4 up front, Tioga FS100 in the rear - it's a big and light combo. I've tried a shhitload of combos and this is my favorite right now.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Jeez Brad, you must be down for some Monster Trucking! That arrow is a 2.35 (or at least thats the only size I could find). Anyway, if I can't get my hands on the tabletop I was thinking a Halo front and primo rr. Not a lot of votes for the primo but they have always been good to me.

Who has a hook up with KHE, what is the word on when they will come out, be available, can you get another set for a Ridemonkey Bro?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well i thought i had a hook up but its not looking good at all. i can get a release date probably sometime soon. I shot them an email the other day (not thinking about the holidays) trying to get a set to try out pre production so we will see how that goes.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So I can't find a Fs100 anywhere. I tried through my local shop, online, etc, nothing. Unless someone wants to sell me one on here what should my next option be.

Would a Schwalbe in the back be a bad idea (to soft, to wide?). I could get a Primo (to narrow?).

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Tires make a big difference in how a bike feels and performs. They are probably one of the most noticable changes your can make to your bike.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that at least as many excellent tires exist for 24" as 26. Between the Primo's, Tioga's, the Intense Micro Knobby, DMR's, Kenda's, Specialized, and the new KHE tires (I'm actually getting some samples of these!), enough variety exists to really dial in your bike.

I'm a big fan of the Primo Dirt Monster on the rear. It's the perfect size, fast,very light and affordable.

Tioga FS100's aren't formally distributed in the states. We got a hold of a few and they are excellent.

Here's a sizing reference for the Primo. This is an excellent all conditions tire. It's listed as a 1.85, but it's actually a 2.00". The tire combo on this Fall Guy is about perfect for early season trails. The DMR Moto Digger on the front is high volume, low weight, and very good. I've run these as well as the 2.125" Comp 3. Both tires are light weight and excellent.

If you ride a mix of park and mid-season hard-pack trails, the FS100/Schwable combo is very good.

Anyway, I think it's worth just trying a few tires out to see what works for you.

Cheers,

-L

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
just got an email back from KHE. They only have 10 samples so far, a few going to Landon and a set to me. Hopefully will arrive by this time next week.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Dexter, I apologize for being naive, how are you getting hooked up? Are you a pro of some sort. I guess I know there are a variety of ppl on this page, riders, pros, industry guys, but ya never know for sure who is who. I'm Joe-Schmoe, but I'd like to get some tires :-)

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
there is a shop that my buddy works at in missoula, mt called brady's. its a hunting fishing shop with a bmx store in it. he has hunted down the three 24in table tops i have gotten for myself and two other people. lookk them up and give them a call.

as for t1 i guess you could call it that. I just have fun riding my bike and love to do it while competing on the side, so I have some things worked out with some rad companies.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4 up front, Tioga FS100 in the rear - it's a big and light combo. I've tried a shhitload of combos and this is my favorite right now.
Holy Roller 2.4 f-r for me, but i am rigid and like to do weird big stuff and land rear first.

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
man i don't get why tioga is holding out on the american market.
it's been years since the fs100 came out too.
i been wanting them just as long..

anyways what tube's y'all been running?
i still have my downhill tubes from when i ran gazzis,
and i'm definitely ready to let them go when i get new tires.

oh and i've been happy with a dmr moto rear and holy roller front.
i dig the idea of the fs100/tabletop combo, but i just can't get em..

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
tubeless. 18in kids tube cut down the center, stans, inflate, cut off extra tube. ride. that or super light weight 20in bmx tubes stretched

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
tubeless. 18in kids tube cut down the center, stans, inflate, cut off extra tube. ride. that or super light weight 20in bmx tubes stretched
What? What is stans? does that actually work? Also, I've heard of the stretched tube thing, but in my experience I would want at least a basic tube. Going super thin especially with the chance of lots of pressure (leading to blowouts) or hang ups (leading to pinch flats) just seems silly. I played the light tube game back in the 90's. Air-B's, specialized snake tubes, and other thin stuff. Some of the stuff worked ok for mtbing, but... . On the other hand, DH tubes are a little excessive, unless your a knarly street rider.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
stans is a liquid goo for tubeless tires. i make my own using tubeless slime, water and whatever the junk that comes in bike shops for pumping sealant into tubes. works amazingly well.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Just to clarify:

You run 20 inch tubes on a 24 inch rim? How wide are your tires and how wide are the tubes that you buy?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Ghetto tubeless is just that, ghetto.

Waste of:
1) Time trying
2) Money buying
3) Time crying (while cleaning up that mess wondering why you bothered)