Quantcast

let's talk about sex

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
So this past weekend I received my official certification to test people for and counsel people in HIV and HIV prevention methods.

I'm pretty stoked. Originally I signed up for the course to have something to add to my vitae, but I really got into it and now i'm really excited.

At the end of January I will go back to receive my outreach certification. This will allow me to go out into the community and test people where they are, not sit around at some health fair and wait for people to come to me.

I haven't been trained in giving results. This training would allow me to become an actual counselor at one of the many HIV testing centers in the area. This is the main area of certification that I am nervous about. I can talk about risky sexual and drug practices all day. sticking swabs in peoples mouths doesn't bother me either. I just don't know if i'll get to the point that I am comfortable telling someone they have HIV.

I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is absolutely not what I was hoping this thread was about.

Congratulations, though, and good luck :thumb:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
laura said:
let's talk about sex

I'm pretty stoked.

now i'm really excited.

wait for people to come

I haven't been trained in giving.. sexual ...practices all day.

sticking ...mouths

when I come

:oink:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
binary visions said:
This is absolutely not what I was hoping this thread was about.
that's what i was going for. nobody wants to click on a thread that says, "tell me what you may have done to feel you put yourself at risk for contracting the HIV virus."

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Shouldn't the title be "Lets talk about Sex and blood transfusions"?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
wow.. that seems like a very difficult job, especially the counceling part. i couldnt imagine having to tell someone such horrific news.. i give you a lot of credit.. best of luck !~!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well god damn. i got all excited for a second. now i think i'll just go to class an hour early.

and that job sounds interesting. i think i'm a bit too apathetic to be a counselor. i don't think i would feel any connection with people, unless i saw them on a regular basis and got to know them.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
the Inbred said:
well god damn. i got all excited for a second. now i think i'll just go to class an hour early.

and that job sounds interesting. i think i'm a bit too apathetic to be a counselor. i don't think i would feel any connection with people, unless i saw them on a regular basis and got to know them.

thats the beauty of it. you don't have to feel a connection. it makes it easier if you don't. i only counsel people about the test and what they can and are willing to do to reduce their risk of contracting or spreading the disease. most people don't want someone to talk to, they just want to know if they've got HIV. the likelihood that i will be meeting with the same person on an ongoing basis is slim to none. i'm not even giving people their results yet.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
the Inbred said:

:stupid:

Best of luck with this Laura.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
DRB said:
I think you should become a radio sex therapist. Like Adam Corolla and Dr. whatever his name was. You could do it from the women's perspective.
"Break it down..." *clap clap clap* "Break it down..." *clap clap clap*

"Ya know Drew....I'm drunk right now..."
"Yeah, I kinda figured...I'm a doctor."
"Shannon, you're on LineLove..I mean LoveLinney...I mean LoveLine... ha...I said LineLove...dammit that's funny Drew.."

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
laura said:
I just don't know if i'll get to the point that I am comfortable telling someone they have HIV.
I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
You just need a method of delivery, something like:

I have great news, I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance.
But you on the other hand have HIV.

Or you could just walk in wearing a Magic Johnson jersey and say,
"You guys have something in common!"

Just kidding and good luck.
I agree, that would be the toughest part for sure.
You have to be able remove yourself emotionally from the situation, and I think that is just a learned behavior.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Jeremy R said:
You just need a method of delivery, something like:

I have great news, I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance.
But you on the other hand have HIV.

Or you could just walk in wearing a Magic Johnson jersey and say,
"You guys have something in common!"

Hehe nicely done. How about "Will everyone who doesn't have HIV please stand over there........hey where do you think you're going?":D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Knuckleslammer said:
I went to an orgy Saturday night :thumb:
Is this part of your whole spiritual enlightenment thing?

Did you just walk into the room and will all the nude women into being?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Knuckleslammer said:
Remember though, the guberment says if you wear a condom you wont get aids right? I did wear a condom, but not on my tongue though

:eviltongu
Condoms are not entirely effective.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
binary visions said:
Is this part of your whole spiritual enlightenment thing?

Did you just walk into the room and will all the nude women into being?

Nope, I no longer believe in the word enlightenment. To one person it could mean one thing, but to another, something completely different. I beleive enlightenment is a life long process with the end result being wisdom.

How can I say what enlightenment is when it has only become truth for me. This is what's wrong with the planet. I can tell you one thing till your blue in the face, but until it becomes your truth, you'll never get it. It's sort of like telling people cigarettes are bad for them. I mean come on.

Enlightenment to me is about slowing down and enjoying life, realizing that you should not shove what you think is right down someone elses throat, being able to enjoy the moment, rather than live in the future.

I enjoy now not living in a constant feedback loop, feeding my emotions constantly just to get a neural hit to reassure that I exist. We beat ourselves up often with our emotions and ego and what we think others think of us. To me there is no others. I'm me, I'm a blithering idiot, I like it that way and it keeps me young and I don't believe in growing up. This is my enlightenment.

As for the Orgy? It's something my wife and I have wanted to do for a long time but have wimped out numerous times in the past. Finally we just said screw it (no pun intended) we're not going to think about anything other than the fact that we're going.

It's all fun and games though till your ringing the doorbell at the house which it is taking place at :dead:

Now some folks might think this is outrageous behaviour. Perhaps, however you don't have to actually participate with others. There were plenty of people just watching. I really don't give a sheit, so I just rip my clothes off and hop in the pile, the side where there were a few girls with no men luckily. Wife seemed to get right into the mix as well.

I've told a few people about this, some said "your nuts" I said "your just jealous" and a couple others said "how do I get in?" :thumb:

Remember folks, you can't keep making known the known.

Kevin