Quantcast

Let's talk bashrings.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
So:
Which have you had experience with, and what has been the experience? The only one I've used (actually two :)) have been the RaceFace bashguards... my DJ/street bike has a 32t ring sandwiched by two of the RF guards. Indestructable so far.

I'm speaking in terms of:
-stock bike
-beginner trials
-mostly urban features... not much natural

Price isn't very important. Suggestions in addition to the below are welcome.

And a key question: do the granny-gear-only bashguards cover up the middle/big ring spider on standard mtb cranks so that they don't get whacked?

Thanks.

AzOnIc

Chimp
Jun 12, 2002
Peterborough Ontario
The strongest most sickest looking bashguard I have ever seen is the Gravity check bashguards.... they come in 32 tooth and 22tooth guard size... They arnt that expensive (normal bashguard price, like 40-50 bucks..) but yeah they are super nice and sooo thick, they are indistructable

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Threshold are good.

But if price isn't much of a concern... there is only one choice in my eyes. Bonz trials crankset, with built in bashring (replaceable of course)... sleekest looking unit out there, I LOVE mine. Soon to be available in splined!

Got mine from www.thetrialsinshop.com

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Danchez, that's a wicked good idea. Since I have a bunch of worn out chainrings, I'll do that until the bank account flows back up. Then it looks like the Threshold.

Thanks all.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
I used the dual 32t for a bit as well.. it will only be grippy for about 10 hard rides :D Also, they bend very very easily. If you use it, chances are the inner one will bend towards the frame and get into the chainline, so watch for that.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
yeah, the long and the short of it is...

1) buy two bashrings, 34t-max is probably the biggest you can go without spacing them WAY out
2) get some chainring spacers
3) set up your single ring in the outer-ring position of your crankarm
4) put one bashguard in the middle-ring position, and the other spaced out from the chainring in the outer-outer-ring position
5) get some fatty long chainring bolts
6) crank down

if you use a boomerang and rollers, just use longer bolts for the roller attachment and some spacers to get them out to where they should be

:D

EDIT - if you need some help, PM me, or even better, come on down to The Bike Route in San Bruno and let me do it for you. I'll have to charge ya btw :)

hey, i can try to garner some business here, can't i?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've used the gravity check bashring before and although its really nice if you are primarily riding street trials this bashring is NOT recommended. It will FVCK UP CONCRETE. Get a smooth or relatively smooth bashring for street.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
sure i already have one kona bashring, ill just get another...

were you at andres house recently? i think i saw you there

and one more thing when are you comeing to the city???????

:D :cool: :)

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
no, haven't even seen andre since like... may!

going to come to the city eventually. i think we're going dhing on sunday someplace... hook a ride with someone and come along.

and, uh, bashrings... um... raceface are still good after some encounters with concrete :thumb:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
thats when i think i saw you.... ha recently.......

i was the kid that delibretly crossed the street to see your bike....

lol

i walked buy and andres and i said SUP

ya im a loser for such a good memory but, idgara (i dont give a rats ass)

:D :cool: :)

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
This is so not a trials thread. My apologies.

Actual trials question: has anyone tried the Alex DX-32 (AKA Planet X BMF) as a rear rim? It's uber-wide (37mm or something), cheap, machined braking surface, and kinda cool lookin. Also fairly heavy...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not a trials guy, but I used dual 24" PlanetX BMFs on my surly hardtail FR/trailbike...

They're OK, but flatspot a LOT on me, even with 3.0 tires on there. They're not welded, either. Worth the little bit I paid for them, but I'm not getting more of them next time around.

The Evil bashring on my DH bike is nice...it's slippery. Dunno if that's what you trials guys like, but I could imagine it grinds well along concrete. Don't think it'll be grippy if you're trying to balance on it...the lexan is really, really hard. You're not going to bend it at all. If you do put a really hard hit on it and mash the plastic to the point where it interferes w/ your chain, you can file it back easily.

I find the Evil bashrings are a little bigger than the metal bashrings for the same-sized chainrings. They're thick, too. DHrings.com sells a similar product.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Shibby
So, continuing the bashguard discussion...

What about an Evil 36t-max supercharger? Pros/cons?
Well, strength to weight ratio, it will be really good, nothing else available can compare to the e13 guard in that respect because of its injection molded construction, but like Mike said, its pretty slippery. If you are trying to do some kind of plant off of it, you have to be spot on, because it does slide on rocks and wood.

dw

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
I understand that it does slide, but the massive strength factor seems like it would be a big plus for me for the following reasons:

-strong so when i hit stuff hard in my beginner-ish manner, i don't have to worry about it
-good for urban (??) since that's where i'd probably be riding most of the time.

I really should build up the trials bike. Still looking for the super-cheap 15" frame to hang everything on.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DEFINITELY look at the Nashbar 15" frame...I built one of those for a girlfriend. Nice frame for $70!!! You will need to have the BB and headtube and rear hanger threads prepped before building, but I look at her bike everyday and say "Damn, that'd be a nice trials frame for me...."

drfunk

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
NY
i might be buying this bashguard for my freeride bike and they make cool bashguards. go to pinkbike and look for pictures search for draco industries.
and email them

they are located in rochester ny

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by MikeD
Not a trials guy, but I used dual 24" PlanetX BMFs on my surly hardtail FR/trailbike...
Hey! I run dual 24" BMF's on my instigator. Wow, how unoriginal of us. Like two people wearing the same thing to a dance.:rolleyes:

But it sounds like you switched so I guess I'm ok.:D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
More like 2 dudes wearing the same Weezer shirt to a frat party...HIGH FIVE, DUDE!

Still have the BMFs for urbaning around, but right now I'm trying a 26" Singlewide front 24" doublewide rear...old take-offs from my Big Hit.

MD