Quantcast

Lever blade replacement on Saints?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hi All,

Just got back in from a ride there where I bent the lever blade on my old style Saint brakes downwards by about 90 degrees. I managed to get it back and straight-ish enough to use, but I can already see the stress marks on the underside of it and I think the next time it gets hit its toast.

I was wondering then if you can replace just the lever blades on these lever units? I can't see replacement blades on chainreactioncycles.com, the Shimano site doesn't have any replacement instructions, and the lever pivot seems to be riveted in place rather than bolted. This all leads me to believe that once you snap the blade off you have to ditch the whole unit, which just isn't cricket. Is this the case, or can you prise the rivet out and order another blade from Shimano?

If you have to ditch the whole unit, can you run Deore or LX levers with Saint calipers? I seem to remember a few people doing this, plus they are much cheaper and can be bought separately rather than in pairs like the Saints.

Cheers for any help,

Mark

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In terms of level replacement, not sure.

Dunno about running deore or lx levers on saints, but XT's work with them... I'm currently running them on a pair of my saints. I seem to remember reading somewhere that XTR's would work as well. Hone's should work too.

Also, are you running your break levers clamped tightly? A trick I learned is to run them slightly loose (but tight enough they don't move during normal usage) so that if you fall and hit them on something, the lever unit will slide around the handlebar as opposed to breaking/bending.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All shimano pieces are available. If a wholesaler doesn't have them, then shimano does. Any decent bike shop can order the levers for you.

To get the lever pivot pin out, just back out a small set screw that holds in it place and then gently tap out the pin.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
jonKranked: I think they may have been nipped up a little too tightly, but it was the one on the right hand side so it was braced against the shifter pod as well. I've now got everything on the bars a bit looser.

kidwoo and seismic: OK thats good news then, cheers. Just a few questions though. By the set screw do you mean mean the tiny grub screw on the front (as you sit on the bike) of the lever blade at the pivot end? I'm assuming the pivot pin is a sacrificial piece and you get a new one with the new lever? And finally, once you've got the screw and the pin out, is it just a case of fulling screwing out the lever reach grub screw to remove the blade?

Cheers again

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
kidwoo and seismic: OK thats good news then, cheers. Just a few questions though. By the set screw do you mean mean the tiny grub screw on the front (as you sit on the bike) of the lever blade at the pivot end? I'm assuming the pivot pin is a sacrificial piece and you get a new one with the new lever? And finally, once you've got the screw and the pin out, is it just a case of fulling screwing out the lever reach grub screw to remove the blade?

Cheers again

The pivot pin is a press fit kind of thing. The set screw just keeps that pivot pin in place. So just back it out and then press the pin.

You'll also need to remove the lever barrel fitting from the piston push rod (the thing you use to adjust lever throw). Screw that all the way in and the lever and barrel come free. There are only two contact points for the lever. The barrel thingy on the piston rod and the pivot pin. Get both of those and you're free.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
jonKranked: I think they may have been nipped up a little too tightly, but it was the one on the right hand side so it was braced against the shifter pod as well. I've now got everything on the bars a bit looser.

Cheers again
Yes on the grub screw. Just remove it and the pivot pin will slide out - no need to replace it usually. Then back out the reach adjust screw and the lever blade is off.

edit: Ninja Woo beat me to it.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Cheers lads, thats great. Another problem solved by the collective knowledge of Ridemonkey!

Yes on the grub screw. Just remove it and the pivot pin will slide out - no need to replace it usually.
I see, the bottom of my pin has been flared out to hold it in place. I suppose pushing it through will straighten it out though so it can be used again.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
is there anything decent aftermarket out there? I am convinced saint are the best brakes out there...but i just am not a of the lever feel

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
straitline levers are awesome!
Even though saints are really good brakes, those levers are a tremendous upgrade. I'm running them since the beginning of the year, and i wouldn't go back to stock levers