Quantcast

Lever question

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Is there any difference between the avid juicy 3 and avid juicy 5 level. Im goign to do a swap because my 5 levers are trashed and I have two sets of juicy 3's lying around that I want to use. Someone drop some knowledge on me.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
As far as I know, the main differences are in the way the lever attaches to the handlebar (5s have a split clamp with two bolts and 3s have a whole clamp with just one screw, which means you have to dismantle half your handlebar to get them in), and in the quality of the screws.

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
they also have different pads. the 3s have organic ones and the 5s have metallic or sintered (something along those lines)

also the 5s have a break away lever design that the 3s dont have. it helps protect you from ripping your lever assembly apart in the case of a crash.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Sexellent. As long as they are relatively the same I could care less. These are going on a friends XC bike so I am not too worried about crashing. He's got an old pair of hayes on there and they aren't bringing home the bacon.

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
They will be awesome for xc. My friend shreds dh with them on his bottlerocket and they work really well. They will definitely be better for xc than dh. I used to have hayes hfx brakes and the juicys are way better