Quantcast

Lewis River Trail

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You forget that this is a shuttler/DJ/SST forum now. If it involves pedalling more than 10 revolutions at a time all you'll hear is crickets...

Good to know, thanks. It's always a perfect complimentary ride to the Plains/Smith Creek rides.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Look up Siouxon Creek. It's in the same neck of the woods, it's got an easy climb up paved forest road, to a nice flowy descent, then more descent to the waterfalls.

i was only able to do a quicky since it was dumping rain, and i had no fender but the guy who showed me was saying it was prime when dry, and i could tell he was on the level. i just happened to hit it on a bad day.

It's pretty much clear. Start at the regular trailhead which is in the middle of the trail. Ride back up the road then rail down the first section. By the time you get to the little spur trail back next to the parking lot you'll go to the bottom section where you'll have to the trail like an out and back unfortunately ending on a climb. i skipped this section but i've heard it's worthy to ride down to the waterfalls and pools. Also you can't rail since the lower trails is super crowded with hikers, but you can get your gravity jones done on the upper where the hikers stay away.

You can make this ride and epic too, by taking another trail that spurs to the left, but i've heard it's pretty primitive. i may try it one of these days.

http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr/of_detail.cfm?category=Hiking&rt=45710

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I found out myself.......but in case anybody was wondering.

It's hosed. Only the bottom 3 miles have been cleared at this point. Forest service says expect considerable blow down from Bolt Camp Shelter to the Lower Falls campground.
When I rode there last year (June 06) the upper falls section of trail was erroded and had many fallen trees, and was "closed" to normal traffic - actually a sign someone put up in the middle of the trail. Was that ever fixed, or was it like that the entire past year? I rode the lower half (from the Lower Falls Campground) and it was in great shape, rode for about 4 hrs...and a pretty challenging trail.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Tim-

How long of a ride up is it on Siouxon?
It's a gravy climb up the road to the upper trailhead. The trail had a few short grinders out of small creek drainages. The lower half of the trail is probably more of the same. After the waterfall or however low you decide to go you have to climb back what you descend. If you have enough gas i suppose you could do the upper portion again. I'm supposing it's equivalent to a Tiger Mt. run, but easier climbing and better trail.

It's a super popular mt. bike route for riders in Portland. And why wouldn't it be, it's a trail ride, shorter than an epic, only around 15 miles with around a couple grand of cumulative vert tops, with plenty of payoff gravity and waterfalls and swimming holes.

Yah you can shuttle but honestly, shuttling this trail would be pointless. Paved 3 mile climb up 800 feet. i could ride up faster than it would take to get everyone in the truck, geared up and ready.

Remember the lower half is an out and back, so when you shuttle it, you're only shuttling the first section.