Quantcast

Lexus CT200h

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anyone used one or owned one?

I've been pondering one, as it seems like a bike can fit in the back with the front wheel off.

Known issues are supposedly head gasket problems, but I'm not sure how common this is. Will have to do MOAR research, as this same issue also applies to the Prius (C model..maybe?).

While the selection of used ones isn't plentiful, they seem to be better priced that an actual Prius.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's the same drivetrain as a Prius, which isn't a bad thing. But I don't think it'd have any additional cargo room vs a regular (non-V) Prius, perhaps less even.

Why not look at the non-V Prii instead?

Other boxy vehicles to consider:

Ford Transit Connect of both generations
Kia Rondo if any still haven't rusted out

and then the usual CUVs, which would get you AWD optional: RAV4, Escape, Bronco Sport for the newer ones, Rogue, CR-V, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another thought: Carmax apparently exists in Canada. Can you transfer cars from US Carmax stores for their nominal fee (sometimes waived if it's bringing an AWD vehicle to CO, to use my example)? If so then go to town looking for deals there!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Following a more usual wagon/hatch shape, id have to think it’s got more cargo volume than a Prius.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also, since you liked your Matrix, might try searching for a Pontiac Vibe. It was a near-clone (rear window shape slightly different) to the 2nd gen Matrix iirc and may be cheaper since it's an oddball.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Following a more usual wagon/hatch shape, id have to think it’s got more cargo volume than a Prius.
It's squat, though.

14.3 cu ft behind 2nd row. 53 cubes with seat down. Regular 3rd gen Prius is 24.6-27.4 cubes behind seat depending on trim, 50.7 with seat down.

His unicorn Prius V is 34.3 seats up, 67 cubes seat down.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's squat, though.

14.3 cu ft behind 2nd row. 53 cubes with seat down. Regular 3rd gen Prius is 24.6-27.4 cubes behind seat depending on trim, 50.7 with seat down.

His unicorn Prius V is 34.3 seats up, 67 cubes seat down.
It must have been a V i rented a while back. Bike fit in ok. The ct200h looks like an a3 wagon or my old WRX or elantra GT. Prius more like ioniq.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Are there hatchback in which you cannot fit a bike with front wheel off? We used to have a Rio 5 and I could fit my large fatbike, no passenger though cause front seat needed to be in the most forward position.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Longer bikes and bigger wheels make it tougher than it used to be, more common that you need to remove both wheels these days...
Hatchbacks often have more cargo room than what passes for a mid size SUV these days. I can fit a bike in the back of my Golf with only the front wheel removed. Had to remove both wheels when I had some KIA SUV rental car last year.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's the same drivetrain as a Prius, which isn't a bad thing. But I don't think it'd have any additional cargo room vs a regular (non-V) Prius, perhaps less even.

and then the usual CUVs, which would get you AWD optional: RAV4, Escape, Bronco Sport for the newer ones, Rogue, CR-V, etc.
There seem to be no Transit Connect vans for sale, that also aren't work vans.

Will have to give another look at Kia Rondo's, but the last time I looked they were either clapped out or new and very high priced.

Rav4 is something I keep meaning to look for as well. The older one with the spare tire on the outside of the rear door.

Also the other Prii are ugggggggggly. Yeah I know my Matrix is no looker, but I have some standards. :D

Are there hatchback in which you cannot fit a bike with front wheel off? We used to have a Rio 5 and I could fit my large fatbike, no passenger though cause front seat needed to be in the most forward position.
There are a few that would be hard to make work with a bike in the back, without having to mess with the front seat. My friends Corolla is like this, that car is tiny in the rear. Same with the Mazda CX3, that thing looks smaller than a Mazda 3.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Rav4 is something I keep meaning to look for as well. The older one with the spare tire on the outside of the rear door.
My partner drives one of those. 2011. Probably the most annoying vehicle I've ever had to remove snow from. Look up the years with the evap cannister problems. If you fill up your tank there's spill over that trips all kinds of dumb shit in the evap detection system that puts the car in limp mode and you have to pull the cannister to replace or completely clean it.

This may also just be a california build thing. We're so special manufacturers build different cars for this state with dumb shit like this. Worth looking into. It's been a pain in the ass. I could see canadia possibly requiring CA builds.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, couldnt w/Golf. Could barely with Elantra GT (its a few inches longer).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Those are 2013-older on the gas side of things (EV variant, which you don't want, was 2012-2014). So already 10 years old.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I mean, my Land Cruiser is a 2007. But if he's buying a car one would think picking something less well picked over (for something not niche like my LC) would be in order.
He was also lamenting the current cost of vehicles in the other thread. Lots of good 10+ year vehicles out there in good shape still. I mean, I don't own any of them but I know they exist.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He was also lamenting the current cost of vehicles in the other thread. Lots of good 10+ year vehicles out there in good shape still. I mean, I don't own any of them but I know they exist.
maybe if he's trawling the for sale postings on the corkboard at the local nursing home he can pick up a mint 2001 Buick 88

but a bike's not going to fit in that back seat

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had a prius V. That was the worst driving car I've ever owned. Took all the fun out of going anywhere. The only joy was trying to hypermile and get over 50 mpg. Also downright dangerous in the snow, the worst car I've ever owned (and you know I've had some doozies) in the snow, even with snow tires. Big inside, and worked great as an appliance/commuter.

AFAIK the Lexus is extremely similar, just fancier.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a prius V. That was the worst driving car I've ever owned. Took all the fun out of going anywhere. The only joy was trying to hypermile and get over 50 mpg. Also downright dangerous in the snow, the worst car I've ever owned (and you know I've had some doozies) in the snow, even with snow tires. Big inside, and worked great as an appliance/commuter.

AFAIK the Lexus is extremely similar, just fancier.
is this the part where you tell us you had a 2wd one?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why not?

1675278010130.png

1675278085667.png

Hitch on both cars, swap rack as required.
Seems to work between my tuner Civic and wifes CX5.
Do you enjoy having to continually clean your car of bike droppings?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
all 1st-3rd gen Prii (so definitely the V as that was a 3rd gen variant) and most 4th and 5th gen Prii were FWD
He said 5 and I know they exist because a friend of mine has one. My neighbor down the street has two of them.

You could have just said "yes"

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Seen a few Kias driving around and they look like they could hold a bike in the back with the front wheel off and fork attached to a truck mount. Rav4 and Bronco Sport cannot. In fact most modern crossover suvs have tapered rear ends and smaller hatch openings. The Ford Transit will definitely hold a bike and then some, but they’re kind of ugly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Why not?

This is what we do too, but sometimes you want/need to put the bike inside. It's safe, better mileage on long trips, etc. Oh and also, do you enjoy having to continually clean your bike of road grime?

Options are good...

Edit: Sniped 2X!

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Why not?

View attachment 188613

View attachment 188615

I went this route as well. I keep the rack on the wall while not in use. And it only takes three minutes to install and load a bike.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
When my Honda Element got mangled by a high velocity hooved meat bag, I searched in vain for a vehicle that could carry a bike inside. But there just were not any options that got decent mileage and were affordable. There are some larger suvs that will hold a bike like that but they are huge and cost way too much. Unfortunately the best option for me was to go with a proven car with high resale value and bolt a trailer hitch to it. The Rav4 is a great car with all the latest bells and whistles and handles quite well.

Probably should invest in a new cable lock though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
When my Honda Element got mangled by a high velocity hooved meat bag, I searched in vain for a vehicle that could carry a bike inside. But there just were not any options that got decent mileage and were affordable. There are some larger suvs that will hold a bike like that but they are huge and cost way too much. Unfortunately the best option for me was to go with a proven car with high resale value and bolt a trailer hitch to it. The Rav4 is a great car with all the latest bells and whistles and handles quite well.

Probably should invest in a new cable lock though.
I can certainly vouch for fitting two bikes and three people in the back of an older rav4

"honey we broke shit, can you drive around to the bottom of this mountain and find us?" :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He said 5 and I know they exist because a friend of mine has one. My neighbor down the street has two of them.

You could have just said "yes"

I think we're talking about different things, aka "you're wrong because English"

:D

the Prius V is the name of the more wagon-y variant of the 3rd gen Prius. all of them FWD like every other 1st-3rd gen Prius.

the 5th gen Prius is just called a Prius. again, not a "Prius V"--see above. it and the latter years of the 4th gen (also just Prius, 2019-up per your link) have an optional electric motor on that rear axle of theirs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

this one must be a foreign market one--discontinued 2017 for our shores

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think we're talking about different things, aka "you're wrong because English"

:D

the Prius V is the name of the more wagon-y variant of the 3rd gen Prius. all of them FWD like every other 1st-3rd gen Prius.

the 5th gen Prius is just called a Prius. again, not a "Prius V"--see above. it and the latter years of the 4th gen (also just Prius, 2019-up per your link) have an optional electric motor on that rear axle of theirs.
Eesh. I need to brush up on speaking my fart sniffin! V is not 5? Is someone from Sram designing these things?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I can certainly vouch for fitting two bikes and three people in the back of an older rav4

"honey we broke shit, can you drive around to the bottom of this mountain and find us?" :rofl:
I was very disappointed when I got the car home and tried to load my 26” Spitty into it. Might be able to fit it in there with both wheels off and the saddle down. But I’d only do that if I was traveling and had to leave it unattended. Too much interior niceness to booger up regularly.