Quantcast

Lexus CT200h

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
People who ride bikes a lot around here have either a VW Caddy, Ford Transit or a VW T5
We have a Caddy like this but much more weathered. It’s interior is covered in dirt with handlebar marks completely covering the headliner. We like it.

FB193707-F95F-4035-B307-DA171E8D84BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is this where we lament the loss of knobs in cars?

My work truck has numbers for temp and I swear the only thing I ever use it for is to go "hay gais, look how hot/cold it is"

Hi --------- Lo is vastly underrated.

These days a digital temperature control system is probably cheaper and more reliable than a bi-metal spring with vacuum actuation.

I did prefer an old mercury switch thermostat in the house when I lived with people who were cold all the time. I could bend the indicator dial so it looked like it was 10 degrees warmer than it actually was.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My experience dictates otherwise.

Why? Because I can rip the dash off and fix the mechanical issue

Vacuum actuation? What, you drive audis?
A lot of old cars used vacuum actuated HVAC controls. Which was great because when that shit broke your engine ran like shit.

The digital setpoint is probably for the people who think that they will warm up faster if they set the dial to hot while the engine is cold, which just makes the engine colder for longer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A lot of old cars used vacuum actuated HVAC controls. Which was great because when that shit broke your engine ran like shit.
I suspect subarus are in this camp....based on some of the flailing of friends and coworkers.

The digital setpoint is probably for the people who think that they will warm up faster if they set the dial to hot while the engine is cold, which just makes the engine colder for longer.
Word. I have had some digital shit break in a chevy silverado I drive for work. That was a way bigger issue to fix than "find the spring or gear drive on the louvers" I've done on an other things. Actually the way that thing keeps failing a pneumatic hose leaking would explain some things....

I just ament the loss of the ability to pull things apart and fix without buying new mystery boxes.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The more I look the more I'm liking the VW Golf Sportwagen. There also seems to be a bunch under $30k with around 40-45k miles on them.

I'll thelma and louise you one over the niagra river for 50 bucks

Yes that's a verb
How about 40 bucks and some timbits?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I suspect subarus are in this camp....based on some of the flailing of friends and coworkers.

Word. I have had some digital shit break in a chevy silverado I drive for work. That was a way bigger issue to fix than "find the spring on the louvers" I've done on an old mazda and my tacoma (a truck shaped object).

I lament the loss of the ability to pull things apart and fix without buying new mystery boxes.

I live in the realm of mystery boxes and find them easier to deal with, just requires different tools .

I've diven deep into the world of analog and it is easier to work on, impossible to work well. It was easier to build my own fuel injection system than it was to get the most tunable carbs in the world to work properly. At some point when you are trying to modify emulsion tubes you realize it is fucking pointless.

I miss hooning that deathtrap

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I live in the realm of mystery boxes and find them easier to deal with, just requires different tools .

I've dove deep into the world of analog and it is easier to work on, impossible to work well. It was easier to build my own fuel injection system than it was to get the most tunable carbs in the world. At some point when you are trying to modify emulsion tubes you realized it is fucking pointless.

I miss hooning that deathtrap

Yeah, yeah your fuel injection stuff on on old carbureted motors is the only reason I respect you. ;)

I still modify carburetors on my dirtbikes because AAA doesn't come to random spots in the woods

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, yeah your fuel injection stuff on on old carbureted motors is the only reason I respect you. ;)

I still modify carburetors on my dirtbikes because AAA doesn't come to random spots in the woods

Hey, that picture is of carburators on an fuel injected motor, (head at least). You can see where I blocked the fuel injection ports with nickels.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyways, we have plates on all the bikes even the trials bike and just ride from home.
The beta 200 I bought that is specifically designed to be platable in europe has made me an outlaw in california. Some goods we need to hide in transport now. That bigger van should handle covering the dirtbike in patagonia puffys just fine. They'll never suspect a thing!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The beta 200 I bought that is specifically designed to be platable in europe has made me an outlaw in california. Some goods we need to hide in transport now. That bigger van should handle covering the dirtbike in patagonia puffys just fine. They'll never suspect a thing!
The Freeride, emoto and the trials bikes all fit in the Caddy. The full size forks are too tall.

There’s no more green stickers on 2 strokes in California right?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yep, couldnt w/Golf. Could barely with Elantra GT (its a few inches longer).
I remember riding with a dude that had AE92 Corolla liftback, his 26" wheeled DH bike went it with both wheels on, I couldn't believe it.
I have nothing useful to add, I have no experience with Hybrids and I hope I never have to, two systems that could fail, yaaaay!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Checked out three and drove one VW Golf Sportwagen tonight. I think this is going to be the car. It seems to check most of the boxes.

The more I browse cheaper "beater" cars, the more I'm seeing what an awful selection is out.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol cleaning road stuff off my bike. i don't even know what that means. i barely clean the trail stiff off my bike and there's a hell of a lot more of that. have always had a sedan with roof racks. see no reason to change.