Quantcast

Lexus IS Has Secret Cheat Code that Enables Massive Peel-Outs

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
This almost makes me wish I had a Lexus...

November 18, 2005
By Alice Hill
RealTechNews

This makes sense when you think about it. Cars have computers and computers have always had hidden Easter eggs and cheat codes, so it was inevitable that someone would find a cheat code hidden inside a car. Case in point: here’s way to disable the traction/skid control systems called VDIM on the Lexus IS:

“start the car with the parking brake on ….then foot brake twice….(keep the foot brake down)….then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash…..it will reset when you restart the car”

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Tenchiro said:
This almost makes me wish I had a Lexus...

November 18, 2005
By Alice Hill
RealTechNews

This makes sense when you think about it. Cars have computers and computers have always had hidden Easter eggs and cheat codes, so it was inevitable that someone would find a cheat code hidden inside a car. Case in point: here’s way to disable the traction/skid control systems called VDIM on the Lexus IS:

“start the car with the parking brake on ….then foot brake twice….(keep the foot brake down)….then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash…..it will reset when you restart the car”
Is this for the new IS model? That's the next car I'm buying (hopefully next summer).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Most BMW's and I think the Nissan 350Z have the same thing. I think there are a lot of them that have either codes, or euro versions of the software that give greater performance.

My brother has his own version of the software for his Harley Road King. He didn't like they way it ran from the factory, so he tweeked it himself.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
ALEXIS_DH said:
mercedes amg has a similar thing too.
Kind of.

Many kraut cars simply have a button on the dash that disables the electronic nanny and allows you to spin the wheels without the brakes kicking in and/or the nanny briefly shutting down the throttle body.

Much easier to push a button than to go through a dance to enable a "cheat code."

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
justsomeguy said:
Kind of.

Many kraut cars simply have a button on the dash that disables the electronic nanny and allows you to spin the wheels without the brakes kicking in and/or the nanny briefly shutting down the throttle body.

Much easier to push a button than to go through a dance to enable a "cheat code."
i think the amg 65 series, even when disabled via the switch, still is paritally on to keept he 600 hp from wrapping around a pole.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
fiddy_ryder said:
i think the amg 65 series, even when disabled via the switch, still is paritally on to keept he 600 hp from wrapping around a pole.
Some of the electronic nannies are never truly off but when turned "off" via the dash button they allow you to "peel out" (theme of this thread) etc. until such a time when you are on the brakes AND the max slip angle is exceeded.

Then the nanny wakes up and starts individually braking wheels to try and catch the car and get it back in line.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
justsomeguy said:
Kind of.

nope. am talking about a code, not just a button.
you have to press the odometer reset button a few times, with the contact on, and then select the appropiate thing on the menu.

almost every aid is gone. :drool: works on the clk55.. dont know about others.. but i´d guess it should work on all the amgs....

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
ALEXIS_DH said:
nope. am talking about a code, not just a button.
you have to press the odometer reset button a few times, with the contact on, and then select the appropiate thing on the menu.
Ok, I know what you're talking about now, that's the dyno mode. Still, for basic "peel outs" the push of the button works...

ALEXIS_DH said:
but i´d guess it should work on all the amgs....
Nope, doesn't apply to the amg that I used to drive.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
justsomeguy said:
Ok, I know what you're talking about now, that's the dyno mode. Still, for basic "peel outs" the push of the button works...

Nope, doesn't apply to the amg that I used to drive.
turning off the traction control is nowhere close to the dyno mode.

on the 2nd you get no traction nor brake aids, nor esp.
quite different feelings from just having the traction control off. i think the traction control still kicks in a little bit even when you turn it "off".

what amg did you drive?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
ALEXIS_DH said:
turning off the traction control is nowhere close to the dyno mode.

on the 2nd you get no traction nor brake aids, nor esp.
quite different feelings from just having the traction control off. i think the traction control still kicks in a little bit even when you turn it "off".

what amg did you drive?
Let's be clear here:

Hitting the ESP button on the dash turns off the traction control as well as the stabilty system (selective braking of one or more wheels) and the throttle body shutdown.

I never claimed that using the ESP button is the same as dyno mode I just noted that for "peel outs" the button does the job.

Turning ESP off does allow you to do "peel outs" to your heart's content with no throttle body shut down or brake intervention. Been there, done that, many times (mostly off-road where you need to turn ESP off on steep loose slopes or the dumba$$ nanny will kick in and strand you when she kills your power).

I used to have an ML55 and I have a bunch of experience with electronic nannies in other kraut cars.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
that's relevant for about 0.00001% of this board. just send a PM to dexter and BrianHCM. :D
And Curbhucker (once he gets his dad to buy him one)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
jdcamb said:
My thoughts are why? When you peel out you are losing traction and killing your tires prematurely.
To be "cool" in your "hot import" while you "cruise the strip".

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
H8R said:
To be "cool" in your "hot import" while you "cruise the strip".
Seconds after posting that I suddenly realized that the american muscle car is a dinosaur. And that I am lame and old.