Quantcast

LG-1+ Troubleshooting help

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I got a new set of saint cranks last weekend, 73mm type no granny tabs. I'm mounting them to an '05 V10 without ISCG tabs. Trying to run it with a 2009 LG1+ and I'm having some issues.

Right now I've got it set up with the ISCG backplate snugged up on the frame, counter bore facing out since it won't work facing in because of the welds. Then 2bb spacers between it and the cup. No spacers on the non drive side, chainring is in the middle ring position. When I mount the guide, no spacers, the bottom roller is in the correct spot with the chainring. However the chainring is super close to the inside of the upper guide. When I put the chain on, it rubs like hell.

Anyone have experience with a similar set up? I'm going to keep messing with it but any help is appreciated.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I got a new set of saint cranks last weekend, 73mm type no granny tabs. I'm mounting them to an '05 V10 without ISCG tabs. Trying to run it with a 2009 LG1+ and I'm having some issues.

Right now I've got it set up with the ISCG backplate snugged up on the frame, counter bore facing out since it won't work facing in because of the welds. Then 2bb spacers between it and the cup. No spacers on the non drive side, chainring is in the middle ring position. When I mount the guide, no spacers, the bottom roller is in the correct spot with the chainring. However the chainring is super close to the inside of the upper guide. When I put the chain on, it rubs like hell.

Anyone have experience with a similar set up? I'm going to keep messing with it but any help is appreciated.
So to clarify, your frame is a 73mm bb shell? or a 68mm shell? And you are running two spacers on the drive side in addition to a bb ISCG adapter?

The LG1+ comes in ISCG-05/03 but not bb mount so you are running a ISCG adapter correct?

Sounds like the first thing is to re-read the bb setup
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Saint/SI_1KJ0A_002/SI-1KJ0A-002-En_v1_m56577569830655468.pdf

A 73mm shell bb takes 1 spacer on the driveside. How did you arrive at using two? Also, the ISCG adapter typically takes the place of one of the spacers that you would normally have there so perhaps the problem is you are using too many spacers on your bb.

Last edited:

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
It's a 73mm shell. In order to get the guide and ring far enough away from each other, I need to have frame, ISCG adapter, 2bb spacers then BB cup.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The 1st generation V10 has a 73mm BB shell, so you should only be running the ISCG adaptor on the drive side in the place of one 2.5mm spacer - no other spacers should be used. As for the adaptor, it should be oriented with the cupped section facing inside - flat side out. If it interferes with the frame welds you will need to modify the adaptor - if possible.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
It's a second version V10, but first production run so it is 73 with no ISCG. The later runs in 2005 were 83 with tabs. On the e13 site it says that is it ok to run the adapter facing the other way seen in item 3 here:
http://www.e13components.com/setup_instructions/2006-2008_SRS_instructions.pdf

With no bb spacers and the ring in the middle ring position the cranks/inner chain ring rub on the guide. I put the spacers in there in order to get the guide/cranks to have clearance to spin. I ran it last weekend with an old SRS (same set up mentioned originally, with an SRS instead of an LG1) and it worked, but with chain rub on the top guide. My issue is with the bottom roller and ring being seemingly aligned properly, but then the top guide on both rubbing like a MFer.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Gotcha. I actually had one of those :imstupid:
Mine was set up with a wide ISIS BB to get a proper chainline with the 150mm rear end. In that case the ISCG adaptor worked fine with the cupped side out because the chainring was so much further out. How about running it with the cupped side out and the chainring in the outer position?

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Funny, I just tried that option. Set up that way in order to get the ring in the right place, the cranks (where the granny tabs would be) rubbed on the guide mount plate. I think I'm just going to have to deal with the rub :(

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
The issue is not having enough space due to the 50mm CL cranks. Older V10s like that used a 68/73mm x 128mm ISIS spindle, or a 56mm CL Truvativ Howitzer BB. A 50mm CL wouldn't allow the space for an adapter.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Thank you. Unfortunately I was so sick of the problems ISIS bb that it had on it I decided to go Shimano since that has worked well for me on my other bikes.

Philip, my current issue is that the chainring is lining up with the bottom roller where it should, but the top guide plate seems like it is too close to the inside of the ring. Maybe these explain:

NOTE: I have checked to make sure the chain ring isn't bent. It's straight

A) I have a few ideas of what to do now. I could remove some material from the top of the guide back plate in order to move the top guide in. I don't want to have to do that.

B) I could remove some material from the top face of the ISCG adapter so when I tighten the bolt, it will pull in a little bit further. I don't how the slight bending will affect the guide back plate.

C) Deal with it.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hi Ill,
Can you confirm that the backplate is straight? You can do this with the straight edge of a ruler to determine if the top portion of the backplate is off at all. Other potential issue areas are non-faced BB shell, or your ISCG adapter is not to spec on the ridged side.

I assume that there is no contact between the frame and the guide (pivots, linkages, etc).

Cheers,
pw