Quantcast

Liberals live in a world of clichés

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
File this in the "How Obama would be different from a Republican administration" folder?

The Obama administration has told a federal judge that Baltimore police officers violated the First, Fourth, and Fourteenth Amendments by seizing a man's cell phone and deleting its contents. The deletions were allegedly in retaliation for the man's use of the phone to record the officers' arrest of his friend. According to the Maryland ACLU, this is the first time the Obama Justice Department has weighed in on whether the Constitution protects citizens' right to record the actions of police with their cell phones.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It's sad that in 2012 we are still more concerned about sensationalizing racism than we are with implementing sound economic and foreign policies. Some insensitive texts from 25 years ago have nothing to do with the country sucking right now.
True, but only because it's been stuck in our faces like a cheap lap dance middle of the day. When Barry got elected, I thought this country had really made some progress along the lines of racial equality and tolerance. But the past three years has shown that we still have a long way to go.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
It's sad that in 2012 we are still more concerned about sensationalizing racism than we are with implementing sound economic and foreign policies. Some insensitive texts from 25 years ago have nothing to do with the country sucking right now.
:rofl:

Can you please explain "sound economic policy" with regards to the ending the Fed and the impact on M2/M3 money supply? Graphs would be nice.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Stormfront agrees, racism is dead!

Now don't get me wrong, I want to like Ron Paul, I certianly agree with his stance on several issues, but, as has already been pointed out, we also don't live in a magical fairly land where everything is cotton candy clouds and everyone gets a pony. So in the mean time, I'll continue to go with someone more.......pragmatic, lets say.

*I'm a little confused, is the person on the right in this picture a woman?

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Stormfront agrees, racism is dead!

Now don't get me wrong, I want to like Ron Paul, I certianly agree with his stance on several issues, but, as has already been pointed out, we also don't live in a magical fairly land where everything is cotton candy clouds and everyone gets a pony. So in the mean time, I'll continue to go with someone more.......pragmatic, lets say.
Are you justifying this because people made a big deal over Obama's racist and American hating preacher? This was Obama's nutjob preacher afterall, not some guy that seeked him out in a crowd for a photo op.

Candidates can't control who can or cannot support them. Any self respecting person, regardless of race, would find common ground with Ron Paul's belief in individual rights. To suggest otherwise would be... well, racist.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
:rofl:

Can you please explain "sound economic policy" with regards to the ending the Fed and the impact on M2/M3 money supply? Graphs would be nice.
Can you show me some graphs with the effets of Ron Paul's economic policy from 2012-2020? No you can not.

Time and place.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I know... I never heard racism as much as I have in this forum. I'm trying, perhaps unsucessfully because every few days someone on here is sensationalizing some bogus claim of racism, to use your own tactics in order to point out that you guys will jump at any opportunity, no matter how dated, to point out racism.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Can you show me some graphs with the effets of Ron Paul's economic policy from 2012-2020? No you can not.

Time and place.
If you want to change the current system, show how the economy would be better under Paul's system. Otherwise how can you claim that Ron Paul's economic policies would be positive?

By the way, prior to the Federal Reserve there were liquidity crises every 10 years or so with massive numbers of bank failures directly caused by a lack of available currency in the system. It's *why* the Federal Reserve was created. My guess is that we'd suffer those exact same issues with deflationary spirals caused by runs on banks and the inability of the US government to obtain the cash necessary to combat it.

You know, history repeating itself.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
If you want to change the current system, show how the economy would be better under Paul's system. Otherwise how can you claim that Ron Paul's economic policies would be positive?

By the way, prior to the Federal Reserve there were liquidity crises every 10 years or so with massive numbers of bank failures directly caused by a lack of available currency in the system. It's *why* the Federal Reserve was created. My guess is that we'd suffer those exact same issues with deflationary spirals caused by runs on banks and the inability of the US government to obtain the cash necessary to combat it.

You know, history repeating itself.
You can guess that, and that's about the most you can do.

I have hope with Ron Paul, but maybe you're right. I had hope with Obama too.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
You can guess that, and that's about the most you can do.

I have hope with Ron Paul, but maybe you're right. I had hope with Obama too.
I'll trust economists as opposed to a crank who's economic theory is derived primarily by his anti-government political philosophy. And the fact that you can't answer my question about what the positives of ending the Fed would be tells me that you have NO idea what it actually does. None. You're putting your blind trust in someone who hates *all* aspects of government and you're not bothering to even do the *slightest* bit of research into the propaganda that you're being spoon-fed by the Libertarians.

It's why Paul won't win the presidency, because the people who have actually bothered to do the slightest bit of independent research see what a complete and utter idiot he is, and how *dangerous* his positions would be if he actually implemented them.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'll trust economists as opposed to a crank who's economic theory is derived primarily by his anti-government political philosophy. And the fact that you can't answer my question about what the positives of ending the Fed would be tells me that you have NO idea what it actually does. None. You're putting your blind trust in someone who hates *all* aspects of government and you're not bothering to even do the *slightest* bit of research into the propaganda that you're being spoon-fed by the Libertarians.

It's why Paul won't win the presidency, because the people who have actually bothered to do the slightest bit of independent research see what a complete and utter idiot he is, and how *dangerous* his positions would be if he actually implemented them.
I don't think I know more about it than you do, but I also don't think you know more about it than Ron Paul does. There is more than one way to get the economy turned around. There are plenty of economists representing both sides that know far more than you and me.

You can watch the news and listen to 'experts' talk about how dangerous Republican, Libertarian, and Democratic economic policies are all day.

I don't think anyone is expecting us to be trading with gold coins when he becomes president, but if he can get Americans away from the mindset that we can spend as much money as we want as long as we keep pulling out a new credit card to pay down the other credit card bills; that would be a big plus.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
If you're watching "experts" on tv, you're moving backwards, not forwards.

And I'm pretty sure that there aren't very many *actual* economists promoting the end of the Federal Reserve. The ones who have studied our past crashes and actually looked at the damage a "liquidity crisis" can cause are all pretty much in agreement that the Federal Reserve is necessary to keep our nation and our nation's banks funded and operating.

But honestly, don't take my word for it, and stop watching so-called "economists" on TV. Go do research, find out WHY the Federal Reserve was created, what inflation/deflation mean (with regards to monetary supply, *not* just that prices are going up) and figure it out for yourself. If you come to the conclusion that nothing bad will happen, we'll magically have a stable money supply without the Fed to exert it's influence, and that history won't repeat itself with a series of liquidity crises causing depressions/recessions, great, go vote for Ron Paul.

But for gods sake, don't just take whatever Ron Paul says at face value and trust him without doing the research yourself. Or if you do, don't come on here and make some wild claim like "strong monetary policy" without anything to back it up because you will get challenged on it. :)

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
If you're watching "experts" on tv, you're moving backwards, not forwards.

And I'm pretty sure that there aren't very many *actual* economists promoting the end of the Federal Reserve. The ones who have studied our past crashes and actually looked at the damage a "liquidity crisis" can cause are all pretty much in agreement that the Federal Reserve is necessary to keep our nation and our nation's banks funded and operating.

But honestly, don't take my word for it, and stop watching so-called "economists" on TV. Go do research, find out WHY the Federal Reserve was created, what inflation/deflation mean (with regards to monetary supply, *not* just that prices are going up) and figure it out for yourself. If you come to the conclusion that nothing bad will happen, we'll magically have a stable money supply without the Fed to exert it's influence, and that history won't repeat itself with a series of liquidity crises causing depressions/recessions, great, go vote for Ron Paul.

But for gods sake, don't just take whatever Ron Paul says at face value and trust him without doing the research yourself. Or if you do, don't come on here and make some wild claim like "strong monetary policy" without anything to back it up because you will get challenged on it. :)
I am willing to give it a try considering the current economic outlook.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I know I've posted this before, but this is one of my favorites as well: http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/fed-bernanke-deflation-inflation-reflation-printing/9/14/2009/id/24469?page=full

or this one:

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/mauldin-velocity-money-fed-loans-consumers/3/15/2010/id/27278?page=full

Part of the thing for me that makes me think that the Friedmans of the world (including Bernanke) were right and the Austrians were wrong is that it's been over 3 years since the '08 crash, 3 years since we've been flooding the market with dollars and we haven't experienced anything *near* the hyperinflation that was predicted. Inflation can only take place when demand is there, and without demand companies might be getting squeezed but prices certainly aren't skyrocketing. By the way, this is also an interesting site that tracks M2/M3 and you can see that M3 actually *contracted* in 2009 to mid 2011 as debt deflation was taking place. That's literally the exact opposite of the hyperinflation that was predicted/warned about/etc.

Anyway, that's enough "light reading" for you for tonight...

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
lol... Krugman? Really? The same guy that wished 9/11 and the Japanese earthquake had done more damage to stimulate the economy.
I am sure a brilliant economic mind such as yourself can identity how Krugman's theories are wrong as opposed to character assassination. Have at it.

BTW, how about a link to where he says either of the things you accuse him of?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I am sure a brilliant economic mind such as yourself can identity how Krugman's theories are wrong as opposed to character assassination. Have at it.

BTW, how about a link to where he says either of the things you accuse him of?
I don't begin to think that I am on the same level of economic theory as Paul Krugman... and for his sake, I would certainly hope to not be. I can read and listen to what Krugman, Bernanke, Friedman, Paul, and others have to say about the economy. Turns out Ron Paul makes some accurate predictions that the others don't.

http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/2011/09/12/correcting-krugman-on-ozone/

Paul Krugman has been known to say some wacky things. After the 9/11 attacks, he opined that they “could even do some economic good.” In 2002 he wrote that only a housing bubble could rescue the U.S. economy. After the tsunami, Krugman argued that the Japanese nuclear disaster “could end up being expansionary.” And just last month, Krugman went on CNN to claim that a fake alien invasion could pull the world out of recession in 18 months.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
This is from a right wing think tank and what I would consider to be pure supply side drivel.

As for Krugman, It is hardly a stretch to say a 3 trillion dollar rebuilding effort would be stimulative. He also never said he wished there was more damage from either tragedy. In fact, if you read the Krugman articles they link to, they are eerily predictive. Bush did use the terror attacks as political leverage and Greenspan did prop up the economy with the housing bubble. The guy is right a lot of the time. That is why he is despised on the right and inconvenient to the left.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/opinion/reckonings-after-the-horror.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/02/opinion/dubya-s-double-dip.html

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Interesting....

Found this site where an Austrian economist is actually apologizing to Krugman and points out that Krugman identified the housing bubble before he did.

Furthermore, his critique of Krugman's statement in '02 really seems to ring hollow. Krugman said that the Fed needed (and got) a housing bubble to replace the stock market bubble. That's from the Fed's perspective if you go back and reread what he actually wrote. The Fed has control over one thing, housing. By lower interest rates they can incentivize borrowing and building, which is what they do during recessions to generate economic output. Leaving those interest rates low when it's obvious that the housing market is roaring to heights that it's never been to was never part of Krugman's recommendation...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
By the way, if anyone wants to go back and read a prediction that's f'ing *hilarious*, check this out:

http://www.fgmr.com/on-the-cusp-of-hyperinflation.html

Article from March said:
At its peak last year, M3 grew at a 17.2% annual rate. After the collapse of Lehman Brothers, annual growth was nearly halved, but was still an alarmingly high 9.8% in November. Since then M3 growth has remained in double-digits.

Annual M3 growth rates exceeding 10% are not deflationary. The money supply is expanding, not contracting, and a contracting money supply is the cause of deflation. A rapidly expanding supply of money - and double-digit growth rates are surely that - causes inflation.

The dollar is being inflated, and in my view is on the cusp of hyperinflation that I expect will become increasingly clear within twelve months. To understand why, one only has to look at the cause of hyperinflation.
Shortly after he wrote that the M3 that he was referring to (as such a sign of hyper-ZOMFG-inflation) went *negative* as shown by the chart that I posted earlier from SGS. It's also coming up on 3 years later, and inflation is up all of.... 4.5%?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Jeebus, sounds like a Zerohedge article. Buy gold now! :panic: :tinfoil:
March 9, 2009: Gold $906/oz
March 9, 2009: SPY $68

Jan '12: Gold $1540/oz (70% increase)
Jan '12: SPY $129 (90% increase)

And that's without dividends included (currently 2% TTM), *and* the fact that if you sell the SPY now you pay the long-term cap gains of 15% (max) vs a 28% cap gains in Gold....

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
March 9, 2009: Gold $906/oz
March 9, 2009: SPY $68

Jan '12: Gold $1540/oz (70% increase)
Jan '12: SPY $129 (90% increase)

And that's without dividends included (currently 2% TTM), *and* the fact that if you sell the SPY now you pay the long-term cap gains of 15% (max) vs a 28% cap gains in Gold....
While that's all well and good, and I wish I'd gotten some of that action, you and I both know that's not why zerohedge is "GOLD GOLD GOLD!" 24/7. :tinfoil:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Whuuut? The Ron Paul thread just took over the HK hate thread!

Ron may or may not be racist. Who cares? He's a crazy old man with some good ideas and some crazy ideas.

What really matters is, now that the primary have started its becoming pretty clear that he will not be our alternative to Obama in the next election.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Putting aside the Nostradamus-like vagueness of his speech, I've said that I agree with Ron Paul on the foreign policy and civil liberties aspect.

What I have a problem with (and I note that he said NOTHING about in the video) is his desire to end the Federal Reserve, the FDA, EPA, Dept of Education, Dept of Commerce, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment and so on. If he ran on *just* the civil liberties and foreign policy aspects of his platform and left everything else alone he'd be identical to Kucinich and probably running in the Democratic primary instead of the Republican one.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Putting aside the Nostradamus-like vagueness of his speech, I've said that I agree with Ron Paul on the foreign policy and civil liberties aspect.

What I have a problem with (and I note that he said NOTHING about in the video) is his desire to end the Federal Reserve, the FDA, EPA, Dept of Education, Dept of Commerce, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment and so on. If he ran on *just* the civil liberties and foreign policy aspects of his platform and left everything else alone he'd be identical to Kucinich and probably running in the Democratic primary instead of the Republican one.
:stupid:

I can dream can't I?