Quantcast

Liberty Univ. article from bike mag.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Hey VA monkeys! I picked up the photo issue of Bike magazine and happened to flip open to an article called "Holy Ground". It's about Liberty Mountain in Lynchburg. Sorry if this is old news by now, but
here's the just of what it had to say:

"The devil is in the details for Liberty U in this massive undertaking which could require several years to complete, and which eventually will be open to the public. Falwell Jr. hired Salt Lake City-based Alpentech to draw up the master plan, and Whistler's Gravity Logic bike park consulting firm to map out the mountain bike potential. "The that belongs to the university already has some nice trails," says Tom Prochazka, operations manager at Gravity Logic. "And they're looking into lift-accessed bike park"....
...The existing trail network includes old logging roads and singletrack routes that had apparently been constructed by mountain bikers (Liberty workers discovered a number of ramps, jumps and elevated platforms built into trails while surveying the area.)...
..."We were looking at creating gravity trails for people who want to take their bike up the lift," says Falwell Jr. "But we also have a lot of land for people who want to go hardcore mountain biking. We've cleared and cut about 25 miles of trails in the last six months."

Well, holy crap Liberty might get lift-access mountain biking. Rock on!!! Always nice to have a new place to ride, and great job to those who put those jumps/ramps/elevated platforms up already! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :monkeydance:

that is all.

Bonedoc

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I wonder if the surveyors from LU or whoever they were left the stuff up there when they found it. I'd love to get up there and ride sometime.

Rich, when are you coming to the boogieburg so we can rock out on the pandapas trails?

Feb 18, 2007
Is the belief in God going to be a requirement? I wouldn't trust the Falwells to do anything that did not have a Religious reason behind it. 25 miles in a matter of months? Forget the MCLeod tool get out the Cat D 5.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...OK, I just noticed this thread...sorry :)

I do work at LU part time & the rumors are true. They are already underway cutting the 25 miles of single track. Most of it existed in some form already, as the XC runners & mtb'ers have been riding candlers since I moved to Lynchburg (13 years ago). I'm not sure about the timeline for the lift assisted stuff, but they had the guy down from whistler last year to evaluate the project & he seemed to think it was very worthwhile. We'll see I guess.

As far as the TTF's....yeah, they are all built by me. I chuckled when I read the article realizing they were talking about my stuff on the hill :)
I did lose one sweet little ladder gap I built last year to a bulldozer this spring, otherwise they are all intact.
The pic I posted is indeed from Candlers Mt. on the most recent bridge I built last spring.

Pics:

Sean....I need to get down to Roanoke & ride with you sometime....it's been a long time :)

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Ah, so the article was talking about Candler's. I need to get down there and ride that area with you sometime Jay.

Also, now that the summer is over, want those sandals back? :biggrin:

I just noticed them sitting aside looking lonely the other day. I forgot you had left them in my car earlier in the summer.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
To keep this thread on subject, I will set them next to a curb and huck them before I throw them in the trash. I may even line them up heel to toe into a skinny and see if I can manual the ENTIRE length.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Yeah, definately do head down and ride, I haven't been out enough lately at all! I need to get up that way too, I'm excited to hear about more riding opportunities popping up close to home. I have not been able to afford the snowshoe trips... I use to be able to.

I was wrong, looks like it is on the same slope... good on ya J, I need to get back to my building habits, I have a spot, just haven't dedicated the time needed. Keep it up! I look forward to hearing more about this project from Liberty.