Quantcast

life cycles. buying a home in the US, as a foreign citizen.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey guys!

since housing prices in the US are dirt cheap nowadays (and to top that dollar has lost a lot of value), it has almost gotten to the point where a higher-end summer home south of Lima is as expensive an upper-middle class summer home in Miami or Ft Lauderdale, so my sister is buying a summer home/appartment in Miami, FL, she has no SSN, but has gotten a $100k mortagage, with a $100k down payment, which is enough to buy a summer home.

Ill be getting married and moving to Alabama next year, for school, and probably will be living for a good 2-3 years in the good ol´US. Now, rent being $600, it will add up to about $20k over the course of my stay. Seeing some house are dirt cheap (Ive seen some for as little as $80k, granted they are pretty basic, but i dont care really), it might make finantial sense to purchase a home for my stay, and sell it after I return to Peru, and save on rent.

now the tricky part. about 10 years ago, i lived in the US for a couple of years, so i got a ssn, but since i was 17 and an idiot, got a credit and was very irresponsible. my credit must be rotten. how do i figure it out?
will i be able to get a mortgage and buy a house? how much down payment should i need?
my future wife will get a new ssn, should i buy the house under her name?

man, i have so many questions about finances in the US, and am pretty much clueless on how the paperwork works out..... should i call an attorney? accountant? do laws vary too much between florida and alabama, that i need different consultations?
can the house be sold while mortgaged? can you sell a mortgage in the US, or i have to pay off the house completely before selling it?

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anything that happened 10 years ago will probably be off your credit report unless it's been shuffled around enough from creditor to creditor in the meantime. Since you have a SSN, try going to www.annualcreditreport.com and see if you can look up your credit report - it's free.

However, you will have ZERO credit, which is not necessarily worse than bad credit, but it's definitely not good.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Anything that happened 10 years ago will probably be off your credit report unless it's been shuffled around enough from creditor to creditor in the meantime. Since you have a SSN, try going to www.annualcreditreport.com and see if you can look up your credit report - it's free.

However, you will have ZERO credit, which is not necessarily worse than bad credit, but it's definitely not good.
The AnnualCreditReport.com website is not currently available at your location.
Visit Federal Trade Commission to learn how you can request your free U.S. credit report by mail.
dammit.
its been so long, i dont ever remember my ssn. ill have to check my school records for that.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I don't even think there are laws in Alabama or Florida. They did away with those. Too much concern about election fraud.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have a hard time believing the math works in your favor on this. Even if you pick up a place for 80k, you have bad/zero credit, so your interest rate is going to be in all likely hood way >6%, you'll have to have 20% down, you'll wind up taking a haircut on at least the selling side in 4 years to pay the realtor, and your going to have to pay taxes and insurance. This is of course a very broad generalization, but I'd want to look pretty closely at the math involved.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
with the way the US housing market is right now, not a sellers market. put it up for sale as soon as you move in. that's how long it'd take to sell

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I have a hard time believing the math works in your favor on this. Even if you pick up a place for 80k, you have bad/zero credit, so your interest rate is going to be in all likely hood way >6%, you'll have to have 20% down, you'll wind up taking a haircut on at least the selling side in 4 years to pay the realtor, and your going to have to pay taxes and insurance. This is of course a very broad generalization, but I'd want to look pretty closely at the math involved.
very interesting.
say, i stay for 3 years. 3 years worth of rent is about $22k... if buying an hypothetical $80-90k home (I have seen several on the internet for sale) house over 3 years, costs me less than $22k, then I come ahead.

i need to figure out property taxes and insurance. tricky thing is, am not familiar at all with home ownership costs in the US, nor the requirements, paperwork, etc....

those costs in Peru are so low, they are basically unaccounted when doing the math... insurance is included in the mortgage interest rate, and property/garbage taxes are very low (The house i live is taxed at $700/year for a $600k home).

i already own an appartment in Lima, i got a 10.5% interest rate. real estate appreciation has been consistently over 6%/year over the last 5 years, as the economy is growing 7% yearly. obviously i wont be seeing the same numbers in the US, so my guesstimations are pretty fuzzy at the moment.

would you happen to know what kind of ownership costs should i expect? or where i can find out this information?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In Alabama, not really, Colorado is as far east as I've ever lived. Property taxes, utilities, insurance, etc. can vary pretty wildly from state to state. For instance, what I pay in property tax in Colorado for a year is less than I paid every six months in Washington state, which was significantly lower than Oregon property taxes. I would suspect that you'll be paying at least 10% in the states. :shocked: We have excellent credit scores (720+) and are paying 3.5%. Credit being the way it is now your at minimum going to have to cough up 20% of loan value, so if you buy a place for 80K your going to need 16000 cold hard cash. Probably wont cost you anything to buy in this market (walk away from anyone who won't pay closing costs) but you'll take a hit of anywhere from 4-8% to sell in 3 years (assuming things continue to stagnate, which IMHO seems likely), so even if your original 80k house makes it to 90k in that time it will cost you/you lose 3600-7200 dollars to unload the house. Plus insurance, utilities, upkeep, etc. Again, these are VERY broad generalizations/assumptions on my part based on my own experience and fascination with the housing implosion. Your results may very and markets in the South East might be very different. As far as where to look I would start with teh google for the state tax rates on property, historical housing prices, utilities costs etc. Zillow.com is a site I use for online house shopping. I've found that their "Zestimates" for housing values are fairly accurate, and they also have a tool on the bottom of each individual house page that includes an estimated cost per month including mortgage taxes and insurance. You can fine tune it for what you think a likely mortgage rate would be, (I would start with your current 10.5%) and make a rough guess as to what your monthly costs might be. In my experience it tends to undershoot, but not by much.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Well be moving to southern alabama. I´m very mexican looking, btw, bwhahahaha... my soontobe wife not so much.

Ill be finishing my mech. engineering degree (which I started in the US like 10 years ago, but never got to finish). My soon-to-be wife is an attorney (has a peruvian law degree), so we are considering (if finances allow) for her to enroll into law-school too, or wait until i finish M.E. (2 years), and then moving to NC (Duke) for her to go to grad school/law school. Depends on the finances/exchange rates/inflation, as we can only afford to go to school one at the time for the moment being.

Tuition for foreign students is now twice as much as it used to be when i went to college, but fortunately the dollar exchange rate if like 30% down against the Peruvian Sol, so its not so bad yet.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Tell her to be anything OTHER than a lawyer in the US.

Seriously.

Not kidding.

Being a lawyer can suck my hairless nuts.
Seriously.

Seriously seriously.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Tell her to be anything OTHER than a lawyer in the US.

Seriously.

Not kidding.

Being a lawyer can suck my hairless nuts.
Seriously.

Seriously seriously.
its temporary, we have no intentions of moving to the US for good...
and whats with lawyers not being happy with being lawyers???? she isnt very happy. one of my sisters (another lawyer) isnt very happy neither....

they should have gone to auto mechanic school, like me! (after i dropped from college) :D. I have never met a mechanic who hated his job.