Quantcast

Life Cycles Progress Report

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

If the suspense isn't actively killing you, you must either be dead or totally out of the loop. Life Cycles is a groundbreaking project that has gone subterranean for the past few months, but surfaces here and now.
---

After several pre-trailer leaks, months of editing, and nearly two years of shooting, the Stance Films crew are nearing the end of their behemoth of a project. Filmmaker Derek Frankowski checks in with his report on their progress, their passion, their film.

We are sorry for not keeping you all up to date for the past few months. Our days are full and with a two guy crew it's been full throttle since the last update. So how to bring everyone up to speed and let you know what's up on the post production scene for Life Cycles?

Maybe I'll start with bringing you along for a day with me. Tuesday, 6:45 AM, my daughter, who is a year and a half, likes to wake me up with a smile. Good way to wake up. I dial her in then head to my prized espresso machine for a quick two shot latte starter. Spend the day with her until about 4pm when my lady gets home, then tag off the kidlet and head to the office. Sometimes I brew a second coffee for the road depending on my tiredness level.

Get to the office with some business hours left and dial in any issues that are pressing for that day/week that need to be handled. Distribution, promotion, sponsorship (yes we are still looking for sponsors to soak up the debt we have gone into), music, sound effects, etc. By that time it's dinner and we head home for a quick bite.

It's back into the office around 7 for the late shift. This is when the lights are dimmed, phones don't ring and the film comes to life. We have spent two years shooting the film so taking our time to get the edit right is our main priority.

This is my first experience editing a film. It's been a roller coaster of emotions. Some days it feels like we are killing it, shots are dropping into place, flow is there and the images fit. Other days we are spinning wheels trying to get traction and they end with very little progress on the time line. Those are hard nights spent wondering if we'll make our deadline.

It's been very cool to see how the film is actually going look for you, the audience. We have scripted the sections for Life Cycles to tell a story, but until you lay the shots on the time line it can change and morph. This process has been some of the best times for my while making the film. Looking back over the footage, you start to open shots up that you forgot existed and were buried deep in your memory. It's a chance to see your hard work from the field pay off, a chance to sit back sipping a beverage of choice and enjoy. Quite cool.

After a good sessions of 6 hours our so it's 2 AM and our eyes are sore and dry, creativity is drained and it''s home time. We are a 5 minute walk from our office to our homes and in the air of the night you can decompress before walking into the door. At about 2:30 AM I make it to bed and with any luck my daughter will sleep in...to like 7 or 7:30.

And the day repeats.

We are very stoked with what we have on the time-line. We're about 70% done the editing and the end is in sight. I'll try to get you more web updates in the next little while but as you can see a 7am to 2 am day working to get the film done doesn't leave many holes for typing web updates. No excuses though, we'll do better because if you are taking the time to read these thoughts I type every 4 months you deserve some insight.

Peace friends.

Attachments