Quantcast

Life Decision....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok so there is about a 95% chance I'll be offered a job on a caribean island (Turks and Caicos) for a minimum of 1 year.
Seems like there will be a $10k salary increase and monthly plane tix, room and board paid for, health insurance, and some other stuff included.

What would you do if you had family, a GF(who might be able to come), a million other reasons to stay?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well for one, you'd have a great chance to save some money most likely. i'm guessing that the cost of living is much cheaper, and w/ yr 10K increase it's a no brainer to sock away $$$ for yr house down payment.

you'll get a killer tan, and the monthly plane tix (back home i suppose) are pretty generous. i was given one home leave per year when i moved to ireland.

i say do it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Silver said:
I'd start stocking up on sunscreen...I've seen photos of you, and you're pretty pasty from those New York winters :D
I am F'ing white... funny that other people notice it.

I don't tan either...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
well for one, you'd have a great chance to save some money most likely. i'm guessing that the cost of living is much cheaper, and w/ yr 10K increase it's a no brainer to sock away $$$ for yr house down payment.

you'll get a killer tan, and the monthly plane tix (back home i suppose) are pretty generous. i was given one home leave per year when i moved to ireland.

i say do it.
Cost of living is more expensive.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
Cost of living is more expensive.
in what ways? will they give you a car or lodging? i'd imagnie that near the tourist resorts prices would be higher, but where does the native population shop for food, etc? i'd imagine that it wouldn't be more than the metro NYC area, but i could be wrong.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Do it, moving to NL for my company for 2.5 years was the best thing I ever did. Take your woman with you though. Also look into income tax issues. My company paid my NL taxes (I was paid in USD, pre-Euro thankfully) and I didn't have to pay any US taxes. We saved major bank while over there since every expense but food was covered by the company.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
You're such an ass...

If you pitch them, I'm gonna swing.

Anyway find out more about the island. If I could live close to a beach with good waves I could even give up MTBing for a year. There would always be road riding.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
in what ways? will they give you a car or lodging? i'd imagnie that near the tourist resorts prices would be higher, but where does the native population shop for food, etc? i'd imagine that it wouldn't be more than the metro NYC area, but i could be wrong.
No income tax all the money in the country is made off import taxes and real estate transaction tax.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Dude, you need to go. It's only for year, so even if it sucks (which it won't), you'll make it. This is the sort of oppurtunity most people can only dream of, so if you don't take it, I'll be hunting you down to kick you square in the crotch. Scratch that, if you don't go, put in a good word about this kid you know in Michigan who'd be an excellent alternative. I'm serious. I'll do it for less money, too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
If you pitch them, I'm gonna swing.

Anyway find out more about the island. If I could live close to a beach with good waves I could even give up MTBing for a year. There would always be road riding.
THey are purchasing some condos

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Enginerd A2 said:
Dude, you need to go. It's only for year, so even if it sucks (which it won't), you'll make it. This is the sort of oppurtunity most people can only dream of, so if you don't take it, I'll be hunting you down to kick you square in the crotch. Scratch that, if you don't go, put in a good word about this kid you know in Michigan who'd be an excellent alternative. I'm serious. I'll do it for less money, too.
It's a straight mech/arch drafting job.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
stosh said:
Ok so there is about a 95% chance I'll be offered a job on a caribean island (Turks and Caicos) for a minimum of 1 year.
Seems like there will be a $10k salary increase and monthly plane tix, room and board paid for, health insurance, and some other stuff included.

What would you do if you had family, a GF(who might be able to come), a million other reasons to stay?
Go for it, bring the girlfriend, buy a road bike.
I see no downside to this plan.
If you hate it just move home. Duh.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
No income tax all the money in the country is made off import taxes and real estate transaction tax.
so if yr company is giving you free lodging, how does the real estate transaction tax affect you? i still don't see where the cost of living will be so much greater, esp if you are also given a car.

we didn't really save much $ relative to living in the US when we were in ireland because we travelled a lot, but we could have had we wanted to.

definitely look into how the taxes would be taken care of (both at home and abroad, although it looks like tehre's no income tax in T&C so that's a moot point). your company will probably take out $ from your earnings as "equalization" and then pocket yr tax credit.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
so if yr company is giving you free lodging, how does the real estate transaction tax affect you? i still don't see where the cost of living will be so much greater, esp if you are also given a car.

we didn't really save much $ relative to living in the US when we were in ireland because we travelled a lot, but we could have had we wanted to.

definitely look into how the taxes would be taken care of (both at home and abroad, although it looks like tehre's no income tax in T&C so that's a moot point). your company will probably take out $ from your earnings as "equalization" and then pocket yr tax credit.
oh all the food and everything on the island is expensive. ALso the island is pretty small so travel is limited. However it supposedly has the 2nd best coral reef in the world.

I think I'm gonna go... I have to stop worrying about my future and enjoy what I have. I'm to much of a planner.

The deepest question that occurs to me is whether you want to be one of those rootless exurbanites who stay in places for a couple of years and move on, or whether you need roots. I chose the roots, although I get the occasional urge to wander out in the big world.

J

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
johnbryanpeters said:
The deepest question that occurs to me is whether you want to be one of those rootless exurbanites who stay in places for a couple of years and move on, or whether you need roots. I chose the roots, although I get the occasional urge to wander out in the big world.

J
I too choose roots most of the time. Never been a transient (sp?) person.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
johnbryanpeters said:

J
it's a one year stint; it's not like his peripatetic gene will suddenly get turned on and he's a rover from now forward.

hell, i've been in the same general area all my life (western MA, college in providence, then boston and 'burbs) aside from my period in ireland. it didn't make me want to move to arizona or georgia when i got back.