Quantcast

Life in the R-Money Bubble, Cont.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/romney-blames-loss-on-obamas-gifts-to-minorities-and-young-voters/?ref=politics

So, who exactly is an 'outside special interest' and who is an American? :think:

Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters
By ASHLEY PARKER

Saying that he and his team still felt “troubled” by his loss to President Obama, Mitt Romney on Wednesday attributed his defeat in part to what he called big policy “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call with fund-raisers and donors to his campaign, Mr. Romney said Wednesday afternoon that the president had followed the “old playbook” of using targeted initiatives to woo specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people.”

“In each case, they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said, contrasting Mr. Obama’s strategy to his own of “talking about big issues for the whole country: military strategy, foreign policy, a strong economy, creating jobs and so forth.”

Mr. Romney’s comments in the 20-minute conference call came after his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, told WISC-TV in Madison on Monday that their loss was a result of Mr. Obama’s strength in “urban areas,” an analysis that did not account for Mr. Obama’s victories in more rural states like Iowa and New Hampshire or the decrease in the number of votes for the president relative to 2008 in critical urban counties in Ohio.

“With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest was a big gift,” Mr. Romney said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

The president’s health care plan, he said, was also a useful tool in mobilizing black and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers: 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics.

“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge,” Mr. Romney said. “Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group.”

Nationwide, Mr. Obama won a slightly smaller share of 18- to 29-year-old voters than he did in 2008, according to exit polls, though he increased his share in battleground states like Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Exit polls showed little appreciable difference between Mr. Obama’s performance among black voters nationwide and in many swing states in this election and in 2008. Among Hispanic voters nationwide, Mr. Obama won a greater share in 2012 than in 2008, but perhaps more important, he succeeded in increasing the share of Hispanic voters among the total voting population in key states, including Colorado and Nevada, exit polls showed.

During the call, Mr. Romney was by turns disappointed and pragmatic, expressing his frustration at the outcome on Election Day. A person who was on the call, which included hundreds of participants, let The New York Times listen in.

“I’m very sorry that we didn’t win,” Mr. Romney said on the call. “I know that you expected to win, we expected to win, we were disappointed with the result, we hadn’t anticipated it, and it was very close, but close doesn’t count in this business.”

He continued: “And so now we’re looking and saying, ‘O.K., what can we do going forward?’ But frankly, we’re still so troubled by the past, it’s hard to put together our plans for the future.”

He added that he was hoping to find a way for the close-knit group, which excelled in fund-raising but was ultimately unable to propel him into the Oval Office, “to stay connected so that we can stay informed and have influence on the direction of the party, and perhaps the selection of a future nominee, which, by the way, will not be me.” (He suggested an annual meeting, as well as a monthly newsletter.)

In a news conference of his own Wednesday, Mr. Obama, asked if he still planned to meet with Mr. Romney for a postelection discussion, spoke positively of his former opponent, saying that he “did a terrific job of running the Olympics,” and that he appreciated Mr. Romney’s ideas on government efficiency.

“I’m not either prejudging what he’s interested in doing, nor am I suggesting I’ve got some specific assignment,” the president said, when asked about Mr. Romney. “But what I want to do is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together.”

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Heard this on the radio this morning.

The Republicans are still, very much, living in their own bubble/vacuum. If this election showed all of us hippies here in PaWN anything, we should all be ecstatic about this.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
As has been pointed out several times since the election on the Daily Show: the party that believes in self reliance, and taking responsiblity for your actions is currently doing everything but that.........

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
More than just Romney throwing a hissy-fit.

John Metz, Denny's Franchisee And Hurricane Grill & Wings Owner, Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

Purposely screwing over your employees who have jobs that are easily changed usually nets you really ****ty employees. Unless he is trying to become a Chic-fil-a type martyr my guess is that if he does this, the "free market" will bite him in the ass. That being said, seeing as though most of his customers are looking to get drunk and fat, or are hungover and fat they aren't likely to bite.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
More than just Romney throwing a hissy-fit.

John Metz, Denny's Franchisee And Hurricane Grill & Wings Owner, Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

Purposely screwing over your employees who have jobs that are easily changed usually nets you really ****ty employees. Unless he is trying to become a Chic-fil-a type martyr my guess is that if he does this, the "free market" will bite him in the ass. That being said, seeing as though most of his customers are looking to get drunk and fat, or are hungover and fat they aren't likely to bite.
You know what's funny? Liberals will get pissed off at him playing extreme right-wing politics and stop going. Conservatives won't want to pay the 5% surcharge and stop going. His employees will get pissed off that the 5% basically will be coming out of their tips, and quit.

So he'll be left with no customers and no employees, and will have flushed several hundred grand in franchise fees down the toilet.

Sounds like normal right-wing "fiscal conservatism" to me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You know what's funny? Liberals will get pissed off at him playing extreme right-wing politics and stop going. Conservatives won't want to pay the 5% surcharge and stop going. His employees will get pissed off that the 5% basically will be coming out of their tips, and quit.

So he'll be left with no customers and no employees, and will have flushed several hundred grand in franchise fees down the toilet.

Sounds like normal right-wing "fiscal conservatism" to me...
I guess he doesn't expect people to realize that he increased prices to pay for costs he will have avoided by cutting employee hours.

Seems like a great guy who realizes his workers are the face of his company and not just some commodity resource he has the right to despise like a necessary evil.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
From the surcharge standpoint, it's no different than what many SF restaurants did when the board of supervisors required healthcare coverage for ALL employees (not just full time). There was a couple of % surcharge added to bills. I, like many others, soon stopped going to those restaurants out of spite for the owners. After a certain point, a lot of the restaraunts pulled the surcharge and just increased prices slightly.

I understand passing it along to the consumer, but adding it as a surcharge make me want to not go to those restaraunts.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I love my little town....

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter’s recent statement that the Affordable Care Act will force the pizza chain to raise prices came as good news to Nick Martin.

Martin, a part owner of Ian’s Pizza, a pizza shop with four locations in Wisconsin, said his business has offered full heath care coverage to its 50 full-time employees for years, making it all the more difficult to compete with national chains like Papa John's that pay workers low wages without health benefits.
Besides, the pizza is WAY WAY WAY better. Closest thing I can get to a decent pizza out here.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

some of those toppings have me scratching my head....must be a great white north thing..

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali