Quantcast

Life is Good

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
So I went to my local skatepark today. I rolled up on my bmx, said hi to a bunch of skaters, they said hi back. Then I rolled past some mtb guys, they said "sup yo". I stopped and put my pads on, and a little kid on a scooter rolled by and gave me a nod. I called my run, let it fly, and we all got along. It really pisses me off that kids today (not where i ride) dont understand some common courtesy and a little bit of history. Back in the day, we were once part of the same clan... guys that didn't play football and just loved to rock the transition. Why is there all the hate between skate/bmx/mtb?

Dumb as f*ck if you ask me.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
So I went to my local skatepark today. I rolled up on my bmx, said hi to a bunch of skaters, they said hi back. Then I rolled past some mtb guys, they said "sup yo". I stopped and put my pads on, and a little kid on a scooter rolled by and gave me a nod. I called my run, let it fly, and we all got along. It really pisses me off that kids today (not where i ride) dont understand some common courtesy and a little bit of history. Back in the day, we were once part of the same clan... guys that didn't play football and just loved to rock the transition. Why is there all the hate between skate/bmx/mtb?

Dumb as f*ck if you ask me.
there will always be bad attitudes in any sport but sometimes the vibe of a sport can filter down from the top.

like 'back in the day':

spike jonze, andy jenkins and mark lewman (the brains and art behind FREESTYLIN, HOMEBOY, and GO magazines 1984-91) all rode bmx and skateboards. amazing writing and photography plus a chill, mature outlook that somehow transformed riding a little kids bike into a way of life. they deliberately set out to prove you could bmx AND skate and shoot photos, paint, whatever. it was enough to inspire to great magazines in the UK to pick up where it left off: DIG and RIDE UK. http://www.23mag.com/mags/dig/dig.htm http://www.23mag.com/mags/ruk/ruk92.htm

on the skateboarding side, i think THRASHER in the 80's created a generation of DIY-minded skaters who appreciated making stuff happen. backyard ramps, draining pools, DIY ditch mods, touring with your punk band in a ford van. etc. .... obviously all those thing kept going on in the 90s and 00's, but i still get that vibe from old school skaters at the park.

dust4life

Chimp
May 1, 2008
Southwest CT
as an ex-fulltime skater i know the hate. i never knew why, past godamn bikers take up so much f*kn space mother f* i f* hate those f*
its just there. maybe i picked it up from a mag, or video... who knows. now that i ride both skate&mtb and get woodies over bmx vids, theres absolutely no hate (only envy)

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
It's a super chill vibe at the park I go to, but we're all friends there. Skaters will loan you there board for a run , then take your bike for a run, it's all good. When I go down into Denver, kids are fighting, cussing at each other and stuff like that. I think the hate between them is retarded.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
It's definitely more about the person than what you ride. In general, if you're cool and show respect, you'll get respect. A lot of times it's just a few bad apples that ruin rep and create negative stereotypes for a whole group.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
I get a lot of sh!t at skateparks for riding a MTB.
you do until you throw something down usually they stop after that. i did until i threw a few tech maneuvers (lol). i threw a 270 double tire fakie on a 6 inch wide deck, 3 to fakied a mellow bank and did a 5tap when i had the big bike. you just gotta earn the respect of the 20" dudes and don't feel like you have to prove you're better because you have a different wheel size. you won't have fun doing that. just go out, respect other riders (park etiquette), be yourself and have a blast.
on another subject:
i think the wheel size drama is dumb, but also i do see a lot of kids who show up on 2six thinking they own the place, and they snake everyone, and just get piledriven by other people. it's brutally entertaining. we usually pull whoever thinks they own the place/kids who don't know park etiquette aside and explain what they're doing will get them hurt, sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't. then it's their problem if they don't. life is tough when you don't open your ears.

i personally have no problem with mtbers, coming from that background and growing up on big wheels. since i crossed over, i've kinda become the mediator between the 2. for the most part, everyone here gets along though which is good. just a lot of drama in the scene, which is bad

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Ahh yes it would seem that these days neither group will give respect until respect is given first, so everyone dis's because everyone's too proud to toss a nod or 2 the other direction.

I've noticed the BMX crowd at the local parks seem to be a bit more mature than skaters and such of the same age groups - but I think it's because they are trying not to get kicked out of the park.

Normally though - I think it's the groups that start static when they show up that cause all the drama. I don't think it is a bmx/skater/inline issue - it's just the punk within.

S4Sean

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
we kick it with the skateboarders at our local street spot.
We hit what they setup, and they hit what we setup.
Bad blood is no good.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I ride BMX and MTB at Haven Skate Park, I've noticed that the people who are good are chill and the kids who suck nuts are the assholes.
I just fall a lot.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I ride BMX and MTB at Haven Skate Park, I've noticed that the people who are good are chill and the kids who suck nuts are the assholes.
I just fall a lot.
grom-dom made a good post...and this ^ is true for the most part as well. SOME times a good ride is a jerkoff but even then usually another good rider will set them straight.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
I've only gotten grief one time. Went to a park on bmx night with the big bike, pads, full face, the whole bit. Got lots of stares and many of them were making negative comments. I just waited my turn and then went big over the biggest ramp in the park. One guy called out "OK, You're cool. We'll accept that." After that they all came up, one by one, to check out my bike and ask how long I've been riding, etc.
As far as skaters go, I've never had any problems. I always go to the public parks early in the morning. Very few people around and they're usually old guys like me. Never had any beefs with skaters even when I was the only bike out there. I usually see the youngins giving each other crap but they tend to leave the older guys alone.