• A month or two.

• Bacon.

• Loco sucks.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
[devil's advocate] I dunno, maybe now that 1x drivetrains are A MUST IF YOU EVEN RIDE BRO that could be the difference that gets more people trying them, then the placebo effect just might keep riders on them. [/derp]

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm still trying to figure out how people get by with 28x11 as their top gear. Do people really just live with it?
The physically smaller gears make it easier to hang in the garage or pose at the trailhead. Those bigger cogs increase the changes of getting grease or WD-40 on your Garmin team lycra that barely contains your middle aged gunt.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I know it is not the time nor the place for serious questions; But who tried it?

I'll trow in some bacon, lizard people and anal grinder for good measure...

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I have been on a 32t Wolf Tooth one since last August. I have noticed that I shift less and stand more with it installed. My riding is on the raw'r side of the New England singletrack spectrum. I would buy another one when it wears out, but I am also a dirty hippy.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm thinking for mundane shit like the Summit loop on Green Mountain? 28x11 is enough?
Just yesterday I pulled my 26/36 front setup and replaced with a 30t ring. I fear Belcher (and lower Chimney, and every other climb for that matter) a but some in the know believe I'll adjust quickly and become enduro®.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have you ever examined the wear patterns on a round ring? I mean a really worn ring that somebody used way beyond its intended life? I am not supporting the use of Oval rings. Just check it out....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you ever examined the wear patterns on a round ring? I mean a really worn ring that somebody used way beyond its intended life? I am not supporting the use of Oval rings. Just check it out....
Tooth wear implies that I do a hell of a lot more work with my right leg.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just yesterday I pulled my 26/36 front setup and replaced with a 30t ring. I fear Belcher (and lower Chimney, and every other climb for that matter) a but some in the know believe I'll adjust quickly and become enduro®.
Funny. When I moved out here I ran a single 32 or 34t front ring with 11x28 out back. I managed the rideable portion of Belcher, the just stupid awful gravel road climb at North Table Mountain and up the majority of A-basin with that setup. Now I have a granny gear simply for the fact that while all those things were indeed rideable, I'd prefer to save my energies for the fun part.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Tooth wear implies that I do a hell of a lot more work with my right leg.
My problem with Oval rings is that everyone's lead or dominate leg is different. I would think that everyone's stroke surge would fall at a different point over the diameter of the chain ring. Because of that all the advantage maybe moot. The few folks who may be lucky enough to have the surge in their power increase due to a arbitrary increase or decrease in the placement of the circumference of the oval. It is a placebo to make you think you have a advantage....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm thinking for mundane shit like the Summit loop on Green Mountain? 28x11 is enough?
If you're not going fast enough to bother pedalling down hill, who cares?

But yeah. I'm seriously putting a 36t ring on my Megatrail.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My problem with Oval rings is that everyone's lead or dominate leg is different. I would think that everyone's stroke surge would fall at a different point over the diameter of the chain ring. Because of that all the advantage maybe moot. The few folks who may be lucky enough to have the surge in their power increase due to a arbitrary increase or decrease in the placement of the circumference of the oval. It is a placebo to make you think you have a advantage....
Not to mention that peak power point will change with seat angle or if you are standing.

Sep 11, 2015
I'm still trying to figure out how people get by with 28x11 as their top gear. Do people really just live with it?
I've been pleased with my 28T ring, but I really suck at climbing and I also don't really give a shit about how fast I can pedal down a paved or practically-paved descent. Sometimes others make fun of my tiny chain ring, but that is okay, because it takes attention away from all of the other things they could be razzing me for.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Funny. When I moved out here I ran a single 32 or 34t front ring with 11x28 out back. I managed the rideable portion of Belcher, the just stupid awful gravel road climb at North Table Mountain and up the majority of A-basin with that setup. Now I have a granny gear simply for the fact that while all those things were indeed rideable, I'd prefer to save my energies for the fun part.
Oh, I hear you. My shifter, der and rings won't be too far away while I conduct this experiment.