Quantcast

Lifted Toyota Monkeys: What do you know about the Procomp lift kits?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its time to buy a new truck. Poor Tacoma is just running towards its end, so I am going to get into something new.

Found a 2012 Toyota FJ brand new at the dealer with a 3" Procomp lift on it. It has all the bits and pieces I want, but I've never used one of these lifts. I've had a Camburg lift on my Taco for 70,000 miles, and I love it.

Anyone driven around on a Procomp lift? Anything I should be aware of?

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
As far as I know it just uses cheapo struts, coils, shocks and an add-a-leaf. If it were me, I'd get rid of the set up and go with Icon, or another Camburg kit when funds allow.

I assume you're already on TTORA and Tacomaworld?

Edit: whups, saw it was for fj, just new coils in the rear I'm assuming?

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
AFAIK, Pro Comp doesn't offer a complete lift kit for FJ's. Maybe it has Pro Comp shocks/springs from the front of a Tacoma, but the rear springs are from someone else...

Recently upgraded my Tacoma with a full Icon set-up. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've heard poor to middling things about Procomp, but have little personal experience. My Land Cruiser has an Old Man Emu lift kit and I like it quite a bit. I'd actually rather not have the extra height, but I like the way it rides much better than the stock suspension.

For what it's worth, I was not that impressed by the FJ Cruiser in the time that I spent in a friend's. It feels like a giant Tonka truck, to the point I expected to see a plastic CB velcroed to the dash with a piece of nylon cord hanging off it. I spent some time driving it, mostly while towing a trailer, and that was especially underwhelming.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its what comes on it from the dealership. I think I'll just run this one, wait for the lift to crap out, then upgrade to the Camburg stuff then. That way I don't have to dance around doing wheels and tires then.

I liked the FJ simply because I am tired of helping people move. Every time someone needs crap moved, or to get a new bed, its always making my phone ring. Its annoying as hell.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I think the floors on FJs are lined with rubber like the Honda Element. Which will be great for easy clean up because let's face it, you can't leave a dead hooker in the back for ever.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I liked the FJ simply because I am tired of helping people move. Every time someone needs crap moved, or to get a new bed, its always making my phone ring. Its annoying as hell.
I managed to beat this system. I have a 5' x 8' landscape trailer that I got for only $400 years back. I offer that as their only option. It's left the yard only twice, compared to when I had a truck, I swear I had monthly help out hauling. :thumb:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Pro-Comp is ok. Icon, Camburg, Total Chaos...in no particular order.

I have personally seen multiple (Fabtech) trucks with broken ball joints where the wheel flops out and the frame is sitting on the ground. Once was in Mammoth right in the middle of the road in front of us.

Scratch that...I'm an idiot and was thinking of Fabtech.

I don't think anyone really makes rear springs, they are probably deavers if they are leaves. Although, not sure how the rear suspension is set up on an FJ.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I decided against the lifted up/lugged out one. Got me a new 2012 Red Trail Teams edition though.
Gonna miss my Tacoma, a lot, but she was at the end of her run. 110,000 of abusive miles on the ticker might have been all she could do. Strange noises coming from several points, it was time for a new rig that I cannot haul beds in.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Anything besides a rebuildable damper, that comes with the correct springrates for the vehicle, that allows the arms to cycle properly and hit the bumpstops instead of crushing the damper, is a waste of time and money.

Speaking of which, I need to give my Camburg/SwayAway's a refresh/revalve here soon...