Quantcast

Lifting the Xterra!

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Not to much...but getting the Calmini AAL's and cranking upt he torsion bars to get a 1.5" lift. Also adding 31" tires which are about 1.5" inches bigger than the stock. So it will be a total of about a 2.25" lift. The full 3" lift is a bit out of my price range right now but eventually...also since it is my daily driver I don't want to make it to undriveable...

Stosh, we'll have to get out and do some 4 wheelin' one of the days!!!

Tom

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Very cool. What tires are you going with?

When are you doing it? You doing the install, or having it done? Be sure to post pics.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Probably BFGoodrich T/A KO's in 31"x10.5" but I am also looking at the Bridgestone Deuler A/T Revo's...probably the BFG ones though...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Cool. The BFGs will be slightly better off-road, but the Duelers will be much better on road. I run dueler now (though not the Revos). They've been a terrific tire and I can't say enough good about them. The BFGs have a beefier sidewall though, and a more aggressive look which is why the are so popular.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You'll LOVE the BFG AT's... and you'll love the wear they get. Mine lasted 50k miles. I've had several brands of tires on my 4Runner since 1997 and the BFG's were hands down the best.

Tires that sucked:
1. Goodyears; I've had the stock Goodyear Wranglers and MT'R's. Goodyear tires last 20k miles and that's it, they are done.

2. Dunlop; Had a set of Mud Rovers. They lasted 20k just like the Goodyears. The tread developed a radial line split in the rubber at 15k.

At the moment I am running BFG Mud Terrains. I drove them 3,000 miles over the last 2 weeks from Louisiana to NM and CO and back to Louisiana and they have great highway manners and are vastly more quieter than either the MT/R's or the Mud Rovers.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Depends on how high you crank them...You can't crank them all the way to the roof but you can get about 1-1.25" out of them without being to rough...I'm also planning on putting on stronger bars as soon as I have the money after this in anticipation for the ARB or Calmini Bumper.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
do you have to lift it to fit 31" tires? my pathfinder has 31x10.5" bfg meats stuffed under it with no lift whatsoever, and i think that would be better for balance, unless breakover is what you feel is lacking in your vehicle...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
kinda out there but are there xterra owners that have done a sas? It's pretty popular on Tacomas. I lifted mine a long time ago with coil spacers and aals to run 32x11.50s...It made it ride like sh*t so I took it off 6 months later. I wouldn't mind doing an sas if I had a lot of discretionary income - like that's going to happen anytime soon... : (

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I don't think that 1.5" is gonna make it that much worse driving...especially since the AAL's stiffen up the rear...a lot of people put AAL's on for towing. I put 2 DH bikes on my rack and then put 2 people int he back seats and the thing rides REAL low...I can fit 31" with some trimming and taking off the mud flaps...the lift will just give me a bit more for when we go out...I don't want anything to crazy like the 3" or a body lift...

I have talked to a lot of people and they say that the 31"s are pretty much the limit for everyday driving...32"s make the road feel like sh*t...

This is the first of a series of mods that are gonna happen over the next year or so...including stronger Torsion Bars, Bilstein Shocks, Rock Sliders and either an ARB or Calmini Bumper. In 4-5 years when I move further away from work the truck will be paid off and I'll probably buys something used, small, and good gas for commuting and keep the X for fun pourposes...right now I only have a 10 min ride to work...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Yeah, I've got a set of 31 bfg muds on a stock set of wheels for winter and wheeling and mich 31 ltx for all weather. I had the ATs and they lasted pretty good but I like the michelins so much more. If I'm going to be doing any wheeling at all, I slap the BFG muds on - they do great off-road.

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
Toshi said:
do you have to lift it to fit 31" tires?
i think that's the same size BFG's i put on my wifes pathfinder. i would like to eventually change the wheels to have them more flush with the body. they seem to be so far in :confused:
why don't they make lift kits for pathfinders

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mr Tiles said:
Yeah, I've got a set of 31 bfg muds on a stock set of wheels for winter and wheeling and mich 31 ltx for all weather. I had the ATs and they lasted pretty good but I like the michelins so much more. If I'm going to be doing any wheeling at all, I slap the BFG muds on - they do great off-road.

..and the nice thing is that Michelin owns and manufactures BFG's.

:)

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
N8 said:
..and the nice thing is that Michelin owns and manufactures BFG's.

:)
Yeah, and both brands have proven to be great tires for me. I drive a fair amount for school and the ltx's are great for all-weather handling (and minimal off-roading) and driving a lot. When I graduate, I'll consider going back to the AT for all-purpose when the Michs wear out.

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
Toshi said:
i have the opposite issue, as my tires stick out and kick up rocks at the rocker panels. oh well.
nice pathfinder toshi! ours has those black plastic fender flares that really make the stock wheels look too far in. but i'm about to get new BFG's again and was thinking about black wheels too. i did change the front corner parking lights and turn signals to clear.