Quantcast

Lifting weights......

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've always believed that doing cardio first seriously compromizes your weight training. Your body will be too tired from cardio to give you an effective weight workout. When I do both, I always do weights first, then 20 minutes of high intensity cardio.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I've always believed that doing cardio first seriously compromizes your weight training. Your body will be too tired from cardio to give you an effective weight workout. When I do both, I always do weights first, then 20 minutes of high intensity cardio.
Agreed. HOWEVER, when you do cardio AFTER you lift, your body is depleted and your body will look to muscle for fuel - thereby negating any gains you may have gotten.

IMO.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

Agreed. HOWEVER, when you do cardio AFTER you lift, your body is depleted and your body will look to muscle for fuel - thereby negating any gains you may have gotten.

IMO.
True. Not your "opinion", but biological fact.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
In a perfect world I should lift weights one day and cardio the other..
I never seem to be able to do that.......
Basically never enough time. I'm going to try lifting first and finish with cardio and see how that works.

Thanks guys!
Your awesome :D

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Do a lot more reading...there have been extensive studies conducted on this subject. The fact is, no matter what, you have to provide your body with the necessary fuel for whatever workout types you are doing. Whether you lift first or cardio first, your body is still burning fuel. You have to have fuel left over after either of those in order for your body to NOT seek out a secondary fuel source (i.e. muscle).
Many P.T.'s encourage and insist on cardio after a workout.

When it comes to efficiency and calories burned, studies have indicated that your cardio workout should come after lifting (that is, of course, not including a small 3-5 minute cardio warm-up to start your session).

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
I just split mine.

I either run in the morning and gym in the evening or gym in the morning and bike in the evening.

Of course I have the luxury of coming in late or leaving work early under the cover of "Physical Training".

But if you're motivated enough it's very easy to get up early and squeeze in a 30 minute run, or a quick one before bed.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I always do 5 minutes of cardio before weights to warm up, and 5 after. It gets your heart pumping, and gets you breathing, without exhausting you (I hope). The 5 after is a good way to stretch and cool down.

But don't do rigorous cardio the same day as lifting.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by gecko
I always do 5 minutes of cardio before weights to warm up, and 5 after. It gets your heart pumping, and gets you breathing, without exhausting you (I hope). The 5 after is a good way to stretch and cool down.

But don't do rigorous cardio the same day as lifting.
5 minutes girly mon?

TimothyL

Chimp
Jun 23, 2002
Houston,Texas
Ive been lifting over 10 years.Doing cardio light 5-10min before an intense workout is enough.It warms you up.3-4 days weight training and alternate days of cardio gives you the best physique.I am not a steroided muscle bound guy but its obvious I pump iron but I still have the flexability to bike,run,ski etc.Tight and technical prove to be challenging because of my size.The biggest mistake almost everyone makes is they do too much too many days.Workout hard and intense, 1 hour max at gym and rest.......