Quantcast

lighest dh tires

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
sirknight6 said:
Whats feel of Kenda? And if the Minions are a favorite of mine, then what would be the closest Kenda counter part?

I have two sets of wheels and tires. I run Maxxis Minions SRY 2/5/2.7 on one set and Kenda Nevegal DH 2.35s on the other set. The Nevegal 2.35 and Minion 2.5 are the exact same size but the Minion weights a 1/2 pound more, each. I really can NOT tell a difference in traction but I can notice the pound in rolling resistance. The Nevegal is starting to become my favorite tire plus they are way cheaper. What tires do you run now?

I have tried almost every tire out there. People here on RM can testify to that. I use to change tires weekly. Now all I run are Minions and Nevegals. PM me if you need some tires. I have a few.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
BKQuill said:
Peaty (or any other pro) would whatever company paid him enough. Top pros don't run tires because one works better then another (any tire and be cut for optimum performance and all the top tire manufactures offer a soft compound), they run for the highest bidder.
I'm gonna call bull$hit on ya right now. If any product gets tested more than any other by top pro downhillers it's prolly tires. What you said is very well the case for some off-the-back pros (or freeriders not concerned about the win) but the top contenders are ALL very concerned with what rubber they are running.

Before Rennie came to Iron Horse for 03 the very first question out of his mouth was "What tires are you running?". He had previously been on some bad rubber and wanted to start winning races. 03 turned out to be the best year in his pro career.

Tire choice and selection will win or lose races for you. Sam Hill has said bad tire choice at Calgary in 04 by him cost him the World Cup overall win. He chose Swampthings, everyone on the podium had Wet Screams on their bikes.

There is a reason the top pros all run the same few companies' stuff; in a game of fraction of seconds and consistency required for the overall championships, you have to have the right tires. There have been a heap of times when pros were "sponsored" by brand X but had either Maxxis or Michelins on their bikes come race time.

-ska todd

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
ska todd said:
Before Rennie came to Iron Horse for 03 the very first question out of his mouth was "What tires are you running?". He had previously been on some bad rubber and wanted to start winning races. 03 turned out to be the best year in his pro career.

-ska todd
IRC :thumb: That year, the Yeti mechanic reported that they had to run an XC tire inside of the DH tire to prevent flatting. Didn't always work.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
ChrisKring said:
IRC :thumb: That year, the Yeti mechanic reported that they had to run an XC tire inside of the DH tire to prevent flatting. Didn't always work.
I knew what he was running then but was avoiding naming names for the sake of being nice ;)

-ska todd

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
sirknight6 said:
Whats feel of Kenda? And if the Minions are a favorite of mine, then what would be the closest Kenda counter part?
Hey if you want I can send you some Kenda tires and all you would have to do is cover shipping.....let me now...D

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
aren''t specialize enduro tires really light and i know a few people who have no problem riding them DH

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...I actually had a pair of Spesh Enduro 2Bliss tires, but after seeing how thin the sidewall was - I returned then for some Maxxis 2.5 Minion DHF's. :thumb: This was the 2Bliss FR version mind you, so it wasn't really intended for hardcore DH racing.

I could push with my thumb from the inside of the casing and see the outline of my thumbnail on the outside (making the "thumbs up" sign, but poking with the tip of the thumb)