Quantcast

lighest dh tires

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
SBDownhillRacer said:
what do you guys think the lighest set of dh tires on the market is
Without having a size tire to discuss and type of usage this thread is almost pointless.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Salami said:
Without having a size tire to discuss and type of usage this thread is almost pointless.
agreed, eitherway the wtb timerwolfs are really light...and good as long as it isnt smooth and dusty...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Well...

For Double Ply DH Tires:

In the 2.5 variety I think something between 1250 and 1270 grams would be a good range to start with - although I don't know of any 2-Ply DH tires that come in below 1250g in this size. 1200 or 1180 grams would be an "ideal" weight for a 2.5" DH tire to save rotational weight and yet still have durability.

In the 2.7 size I think the range is somewhere between 1270 and 1400 grams. The lightest you can get away with being some Maxxis 2.7's

Keep in mind that ALL Maxxis tires are a bit undersized.

Look around at some of the manufacturers websites such as:
kendausa, maxxis, michelin, intense tires, nokian, tiogausa, Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB), or even Specialized. Spesh seems to be getting better and better every year with their DH tire development.

Hope this helps...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Kenda Nevegal 2.35 dual ply Stick E is my pick at 1140g. The 2.35 is as big as a Maxxis 2.5

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I'm running a Specialized EVIL TWIN 2.4"x26" on the back & have no complaints..It's like a Maxxis High Roller..

Going to use 2.5"x 26" F & R Maxxis High Rollers in 2006.Seems like the best choice.Peaty runs em-enough said !

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
bigdrop05 said:
Peaty runs em-enough said !
Peaty (or any other pro) would whatever company paid him enough. Top pros don't run tires because one works better then another (any tire and be cut for optimum performance and all the top tire manufactures offer a soft compound), they run for the highest bidder.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Who cares. Rotational weight adds stability.
And decreases acceleration or de-acceleration. It you think added mass is good, use motorcycle tires. I know a guy that has some 85cc MX rims laced up to DH hubs. He is a big guy but it is way overkill and they are less compliant. Of course, he is a really big guy and got tired of flatting. To each their own.

I think Maxxis tires are the best comprimise between mass and performance. I have tried heavier (intense, Nokian) and lighter (Michelin and Hutchenson) and the Maxxis are the best.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
manhattanprjkt83 said:
agreed, eitherway the wtb timerwolfs are really light...and good as long as it isnt smooth and dusty...
From Universal cycles website...
"The Timberwolf is a deep tread bad boy. Great for soft and loose conditions. WTB Team DH tires feature Steel bead with Inner Peace sidewalls, Dual DNA rubber compound and a Super Duty DH casing.1510g"

That's the 2.7 full on 2 ply inner peace tires, which I love by the way.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Ciaran said:
"The Timberwolf is a deep tread bad boy. Great for soft and loose conditions. WTB Team DH tires feature Steel bead with Inner Peace sidewalls, Dual DNA rubber compound and a Super Duty DH casing.1510g"

Actually, that's the 2.5 size. The 2.7 is mid 1700 grams. WTB has thicker and tougher sidewalls than any tire with the obvious exception of Intense.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
1soulrider said:
Actually, that's the 2.5 size. The 2.7 is mid 1700 grams. WTB has thicker and tougher sidewalls than any tire with the obvious exception of Intense.
Woah. I was hoping my 2.5's were lighter. :)

They do indeed have some tough ass sidewalls.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ChrisKring said:
And decreases acceleration or de-acceleration. It you think added mass is good, use motorcycle tires. I know a guy that has some 85cc MX rims laced up to DH hubs. He is a big guy but it is way overkill and they are less compliant. Of course, he is a really big guy and got tired of flatting. To each their own.

I think Maxxis tires are the best comprimise between mass and performance. I have tried heavier (intense, Nokian) and lighter (Michelin and Hutchenson) and the Maxxis are the best.

It would increase de-acceleration....I say it depends on alot of things like course design and such....alot of guys have ridden the ITS tires fast and those things are Piiiiiiiigs.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
BKQuill said:
Peaty (or any other pro) would whatever company paid him enough. Top pros don't run tires because one works better then another (any tire and be cut for optimum performance and all the top tire manufactures offer a soft compound), they run for the highest bidder.
talking about cutting tires, anyone knows how to cut maxxis tires to make them better? coz its widely known how to cut michelin tires, so what about maxxis?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I ended up with loving the Intense 909's 2.5 fr, and 2.7 rear. (Dry condition)

However I found in the mud and muck, Maxxis Minions seem to do the trick! 2.35 both fr and rr.

Although I'm going to try the Minions in a 2.5 for a dry tire.

They are definitely lighter than the Intense

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
WTB Weirwolf 2.5" single Ply's are super light. I have no experience with the Timberwolves, but I imagine it's the same.

It all depends on what you are going to be riding. Do you need duel ply? Do you need wide tires? I've seen plenty of DH courses that you would be fine using Maxxis 2.35" tires.

Give some specific's of what you need.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
dhkid said:
talking about cutting tires, anyone knows how to cut maxxis tires to make them better? coz its widely known how to cut michelin tires, so what about maxxis?
Actually, in the December issue (#19) of Decline, they show several different ways to cut Michelin, Maxxis and Kenda, not all the cuts, but the most popular.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized Enduro 2.4s are crazy light if you're willing to go single ply. The weights are on the website, but I think they're around 800g.

Nov 9, 2005
yea im running the maxxis high rollers 2.7 front and 2.5 rear right now and i love the grip i was just seeing because i know a guy i know took off 2.5 pounds from his bike by going from kendsa and maxxis' to specialized enduros, but he doesnt like the traction for dhing

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Bicyclist said:
Specialized Enduro 2.4s are crazy light if you're willing to go single ply. The weights are on the website, but I think they're around 800g.
My wife has these on her XC bike,and they do feel pretty good for that sort of thing but I'm not sure they'd hold up to hard-out DH, at least not for long. Coming off IRC Kujos they feel so light in comparison.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The grip is decent but the sidewalls aren't stiff. If you get the 2.4 Pro D2 ones with the soft rubber and use those for trail riding I think it would work well, and then have a second set of DH tires for heavier duty riding.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
BKQuill said:
Actually, in the December issue (#19) of Decline, they show several different ways to cut Michelin, Maxxis and Kenda, not all the cuts, but the most popular.
danm, only can find the jan 2006 issue here now... can you pls scan it and post it here? :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ciaran said:

I dunno i have some folding 2.5's that came in at what i thought to be 800 grams...it was one of the first out...

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
dhkid said:
danm, only can find the jan 2006 issue here now... can you pls scan it and post it here? :D
I can't sorry, I won't be around a scanner until I get back into the office on Jan 3rd. Maybe another Monkey could:help: out with this.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Michelin Boys!!!!! Michelin!!!!
I will say both the single and double ply tires they produce are very light weight and strong. There maybe a little lighter tire out there but the side wall will not be that strong and its not that much lighter. Michelin has both the light weight and strong side walls combination figured out. Plus all of the DH tires come ready to run tubeless and the 4x tires can be bought in none tubeless or tubeless.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think tire weight is one aspect of my bike build that I'm not too concerned with. I would give up a lot of weight if I had to for the tires to performe the way I wanted them to. I think cornering, roll resistance, toughness, braking, and traction and are more important. I can save weight other places if I need to...D

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
hutchinson has some serious new tires for 2006, all of them are dual 27 tpi casings
hutchinsons new Bulldog 2.30 is 1172gr, its a true 2.3, great soft terrain tire
hutchinsons new barracuda 2.30 is 1150gr, fast rollin dry/stony terrain
hutchinsons new piranha 2.30 is 1080gr, semi slick, great cornering knobs

[Dv8]

Chimp
Dec 27, 2005
Continental Diesel 2.5

Super grippy, fast, light. Not good for mud. Not good if your a hack.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
konabiker said:
Light downhill tires are definatly not what you want in SB. Get a burly tubeless setup or just deal with it.
^^^ so true. I throw my gazzaloddi 2.6'es on with old red Intense tubes for around town, and put on some 2.5 minions with XC tubes when I leave town. The difference is very noticeable, especilly on tunnel. In SB, you're not going to be racing, so just load up with michi 2.8's, or whatever tractor tire you can get your paws on.