Quantcast

Light 170mm+ Frames

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming. On paper the Genius LT Carbon looks sick, 6.2lbs claimed weight, good geo (except seatube angle), and the travel adjustment is cool. I'm waiting to hear on price though.
its going to be expensive....

the lt40 is more affordable... i am thinking on my next year ride.
currently rock a voltage fr do-it-all, but am torn between going AM with a genius LT/lyric, or going full-retard with a driver8/gambler/boxxer

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There are a few options. Orange alpine may be a bit to low in travel but at 7lbs the weight should be good.

Lapierre froggy uses 12x142 rear axle(for 2011), has 180mm of travel and is supposedly just under 3kg. The builts are really light considering that they have some heavy parts on them. It also has adjustable geo.

I owned a lapierre dh bike, my friend who is around 90-100kg uses the enduro spicy for park use and they hold great. Plus the build quality is second to none.

Mondraker zenith also seems like a great option. 135x12 axle, 170mm of travel and the complete build is crazy light so the frame is probably as light. They market it as extreme enduro so it is a bit along the lines of what you are looking for

Also - wont the RFX be available for 2011?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah, those bikes (Lapierre, Mondraker) would be awesome...if you could actually get them over here in the US. The Orange "may" be an option, but the others are not. The Zenith looks especially tasty, but just isn't available.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, those bikes (Lapierre, Mondraker) would be awesome...if you could actually get them over here in the US. The Orange "may" be an option, but the others are not. The Zenith looks especially tasty, but just isn't available.
Seriously, dont be lazy. People outside of US regularly get bikes from other countries because we often have crazy local distros with crazy prices, why cantyou do it? Lapierre has a canadian distributor that posts in this forum, Im pretty sure you could talk to them to solve the warranty issues and all that. Probably the same could be done with mondraker. Most of my bike parts come from abroad. You have it too easy in US.

PS. Sorry for the rant but If you have so specific needs you dont need to be too picky where you get the bike. It also saves you truckloads of cash.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Seriously, dont be lazy.
I don't think it has anything to do with being lazy. People don't want to mess with the hassle of getting bikes from outside US then having no distributors to deal with replacement parts or warranties. There are soooooo many bikes nowadays, if you can't find a frame/bike that fits your needs from a company that has distribution in the US then you're probably looking for a bike that doesn't exist.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't think it has anything to do with being lazy. People don't want to mess with the hassle of getting bikes from outside US then having no distributors to deal with replacement parts or warranties. There are soooooo many bikes nowadays, if you can't find a frame/bike that fits your needs from a company that has distribution in the US then you're probably looking for a bike that doesn't exist.
Not wanting to deal with the hassle is lazyness. What takes most time in terms of warranty and replacement parts is usualy customer service, not transport (especialy from US to Canada). Also - it is not really a hassle, I know it because I do it. Id prefer to get parts from a distributor with good cs that is far away from me than a local one that is crap (and that is basicaly what I do). In many cases you get sorted in the same time it takes for a local distributor. Seriously - canada is not that far from the us in terms of package delivery. You are just not used to the idea of getting stuff abroad because you never needed to.

Also the frame market for mega style frames is much bigger in europe than in the us and that is basicaly what we are looking for here so in this case that bike does exist ;)

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Not wanting to deal with the hassle is lazyness.
It's the American way though isn't it? Ever tried to buy stuff off Ebay from a US seller? "I can't be bothered with the hassle of shipping outside the US" is the hilarious reply 90% of the time.

They're an odd culture :)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
It's the American way though isn't it? Ever tried to buy stuff off Ebay from a US seller? "I can't be bothered with the hassle of shipping outside the US" is the hilarious reply 90% of the time.

They're an odd culture :)
I second this. Sorry to rant, but you americans have it reaaaaaal easy, so much so you really don't know. Prices here are pretty expensive... in order to get anything worthwhile, I have to order of ebay or some internet bike shop, then importa, pay taxes, in total taking up to a month or more and I still prefer it to the "go-to-shop" answer. Last but not least... if it doesnt exist, why not just make it? Who knows, maybe you can make some money with a product other people want as well

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I ordered the Scott Genius LT frame and should have it built by Feb. I'll post pics and a ride report in a new thread then. It was the most expensive bike part I've ever bought and only the second time that I've paid nearly retail. $2750!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
theres the new nukeproof mega

It looks pretty tidy and having seen the prototype in the flesh it looks like a fun bike

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
why is everybody about DH bikes with short travel? doesn't that defeat the purpose? I either want a downhill bike I can go out and monstertruck and throw around on jumps, a dirt jumper, or a trail bike. Some trails are gnarlier then others, but if I'm not shuttling, I don't want a bike that sits super super low and slack and is a bear to climb on. 66-67HA seems to be pretty standard with most of the 160mm bikes, that is plenty slack. BB's are pretty reasonable, chainstays are pretty reasonable, why are people looking for DH geometry in a trail bike?

maybe I'm misreading this thread.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
why is everybody about DH bikes with short travel? doesn't that defeat the purpose? I either want a downhill bike I can go out and monstertruck and throw around on jumps, a dirt jumper, or a trail bike. Some trails are gnarlier then others, but if I'm not shuttling, I don't want a bike that sits super super low and slack and is a bear to climb on. 66-67HA seems to be pretty standard with most of the 160mm bikes, that is plenty slack. BB's are pretty reasonable, chainstays are pretty reasonable, why are people looking for DH geometry in a trail bike?

maybe I'm misreading this thread.
'cause some people can just afford one bike.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
There are some trails and Super Ds that I don't want to use my DH bike on because it would just be too much of a bear on some sections and doesn't have the geo and gearing to make most of the climbs. When I use my Mojo SL on these I wish for a plusher ride, slacker feel, and more traction. I used to use a Bullit for this but now I'm building a slightly longer travel bike that should be slightly lighter. As for wanting DH geometry I'm not quite in that boat. I like the shorter chainstays of the Scott and its multi travel shock, 2 shock mounts, and TALAS fork will keep climbing and trail riding head angle in check while still getting slack and low for descents.

Some trail examples are: Monarch Crest, Two Elk, Breckenridge to Camp Hale, Porcupine Rim. I may race Ashland and Downieville on this bike next year too.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
your dream frame doesnt exist. 180mm sub 7 lbs, 12mm drop outs. your going to have to drop atleast 1 of these requirements. a sub 7 180mm frame doesnt exist
I have a 7 pound 234mm travel frame. Stiffer and more durable than anything else on the market too!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I understand why you're looking for what you are... you want the lightest super-d race bike with the longest travel possible. I guess this is because most super-d races are largely downhill. You want the travel and geo for the downhill and the weight so you can go up as fast as possible. I actually wonder if you're not splitting hairs here because the difference between 6 and 7 (assuming the geometry is right) is not very noticeable imo - especially when you're up to speed.

Many others in this thread are responding from the point of having only one do-it-all bike, and will spend a LOT of time riding on the flats and up. For this situation, 7" front and back seems like a bit too much travel.

If I were in the latter situation, I would place emphasis on the right geo then travel and weight. For me, something like the Dixon would be perfect.

build above was sub 27lb, gonna be 28.5lb with Fox 36 Float on the front

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
How about the last generation Orange Patriot?

Not sure of the frame weight but it isn't much. 178mm travel. 12mm Maxle. Very adjustable with the sliding shock mount.

I had one and ran it as my main downhill bike for a couple of years. I know other people who have built them up as trail bikes.

Here's mine, I miss it!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
its going to be expensive....

the lt40 is more affordable... i am thinking on my next year ride.
currently rock a voltage fr do-it-all, but am torn between going AM with a genius LT/lyric, or going full-retard with a driver8/gambler/boxxer
this was 2 years ago.

i went full retard and replaced the voltage fr with a gambler/boxxer combo.

now am back to square one. am looking for a genius lt in addition to my gambler.
my latest injury had me re-thinking about downhill. am now 30 years old, and heal very slowly. on top of that, i need a pedal-able bike to keep up with my friends on night rides (which is what i mostly do now that am married).

besides a 4 day holiday in the andes, i havent been doing much REAL downhill over the last few months, and wont be able until april (when my shoulder heals for good).
now that am married, i find it hard to leave town for a whole day.

to the OP, how did the genius LT go?

Last edited:

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
I'm still riding my Genius LTc almost daily, heading out for a 2000ft climb followed by descent in just a minute. I love it on the downhill and wouldn't want to climb on any other 7" bike. I've had the shock rebuilt once a year for free by DT USA when it sucked air into the oil and wouldn't fully retract. Very quick turn around, and they replaced the pivot hardware at the same time. I've found cracks on the carbon shock mount twice but Scott got warranty front triangles to me in a couple days (a year on each front end before finding the cracks). After 2 years I found cracks on the link's shock mount and it was also warrantied in a couple days.

Besides using it for the kind of epic trail rides that have enough descending to want something more than my normal trail bike I've used this for countless Super D and Enduro races and one DH race where the course was mellow enough to be faster on this than my V10c.

Last week I swapped from Hope/Flow wheels to DT 240/Light Bicycle carbons. It's currently sitting on its "XC" tires, Conti MKII 2.4"s and weighing in at 28.3lbs

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I'm still riding my Genius LTc almost daily, heading out for a 2000ft climb followed by descent in just a minute. I love it on the downhill and wouldn't want to climb on any other 7" bike. I've had the shock rebuilt once a year for free by DT USA when it sucked air into the oil and wouldn't fully retract. Very quick turn around, and they replaced the pivot hardware at the same time. I've found cracks on the carbon shock mount twice but Scott got warranty front triangles to me in a couple days (a year on each front end before finding the cracks). After 2 years I found cracks on the link's shock mount and it was also warrantied in a couple days.

Besides using it for the kind of epic trail rides that have enough descending to want something more than my normal trail bike I've used this for countless Super D and Enduro races and one DH race where the course was mellow enough to be faster on this than my V10c.

Last week I swapped from Hope/Flow wheels to DT 240/Light Bicycle carbons. It's currently sitting on its "XC" tires, Conti MKII 2.4"s and weighing in at 28.3lbs

so i ended up getting a genius lt carbon.
have is now at aroudn 14kg (bone stock with 2.35 hans dampf).

AWESOME bike... took me a few miles to set it up right... and now i got 90% the performance i got from my gambler plus the ability to climb...
i dont jump much anymore (5ft drops and 15 ft doubles at most)... so i dont think durability will be an issue.

how is it you got it down to 12.xxkgs???? how much does your LB carbon wheelset weights? how much does it cost?

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
It took some careful parts picking and $$ to get that light. Lightning cranks are much lighter than anything else, have double spacing, but take normal bolt patern rings and bash guard. Light Bicycle wheels start around $500 but DT hubs and bladed spokes cost extra and bring the weight to 1400ish grams. Formula brakes with Kettle Cycles rotors drop almost a pound from XTR Trails. Those MKII Protection tires that I use during the winter and for XCish stages drop nearly a pound from the 2.5" DHF/2.4" Ardent EXOs I run for gnarlier stages and most of my summer riding. Titec Pork Rinds foam grips are the only other unusual, light part. The rest is standard, high end trail build.

Glad you like the bike but a word of warning: Keep and eye on the shock shaft. If you notice that it isn't retracting all the way back into the body that means air got past the piston and it needs a rebuild. It's okay to keep riding on it but you'll probably want to adjust your spring rate and the bike sits lower/slacker and has less travel available. DT USA in Grand Junction, CO has always done free rebuilds for me the day they get the shock. They also sold me a spare for when I'm at races. Over 3 years some shocks have gone 6-8 months before doing this, others 3 days. It starts as a little bit of shaft showing and gradually gets worse. It hasn't been a big deal for me cuz I live close to Grand Junction but if you have to mail the shock you'll want to notice when it starts showing and then plan a time to send it in when it won't be missed for a week.

Also, rear tire clearance at bottom-out is too tight for the 2.4" Ardent I use. The tire hits the shock's mud guard so I had to trim all of it off except the travel indicator that sits to the side. When installing a new and biggish tire drop the air pressures to 100/50 and bottom it out to check.

If you bought the bike complete you got a special fork damper with lockout, regardless if your model has a Fox or Rockshox. Ditch that damper and get Fox's RC2 or Rockshox's equivalent. Front lockout isn't very useful, you'll lose one cable and half the remote lever, and you'll get control over low and high speed compression.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
With Formula organic pads bite and power are reduced some compared to stock rotors with sintered pads. However, Formula The Ones have plenty of power to spare so it's still alright. I should have their new carbon pads soon which are expected.to have more bite and longer life. They have been fade free and stayed dead straight.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The shocks on those things suck nuts! Is yours making a nice clunk on bottom out yet or has it died completely?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, OK didn't read that, Australia doesn't have such a quick turnaround with the shocks so any Scott with a fancy shock is best avoided here. How does the LT go in regards to pivot bearing life?

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
The pivot design is good with large diameter axles and slanted washers that radially load the bearings. It's easy to work on which is nice for breaking it down to travel or regreasing the bearings. There are dust caps built into the bolts but no secondary seals, just the cartridge bearing's own seals. The bearing are made by Enduro and have been lasting me one season before service. The first year I replaced all the bearings but since then I've just been popping the seals off and regreasing them. Keep in mind I only ride in mud when I have to and never use a high pressure hose on the bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cool thanks, a mate has one so I might grease the bearings up then, I know a lot of the earlier Scotts flogged bearings out in no time and bent pivot bolts, so much so that a LBS dropped them because of it(and the local distributor).

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
I'm trying to decide what bike to race next year and I've considered the new LT but the chainstays grew over a 1/2". I really like the short stays on my current bike. I'm also debating whether I want to switch to 650b. I may stay on my LT for a 4th season but if I go for bigger wheels the new LT will be on my short list with the Bronson and Mach 6. Say, Scott has no presence on the US Enduro circuit. I've been the only pro racing a Scott (to the occassion local win and national top 10s). My decision would be made if Scott wants to supply me a 2014 race bike....

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm trying to decide what bike to race next year and I've considered the new LT but the chainstays grew over a 1/2". I really like the short stays on my current bike. I'm also debating whether I want to switch to 650b. I may stay on my LT for a 4th season but if I go for bigger wheels the new LT will be on my short list with the Bronson and Mach 6. Say, Scott has no presence on the US Enduro circuit. I've been the only pro racing a Scott (to the occassion local win and national top 10s). My decision would be made if Scott wants to supply me a 2014 race bike....
Yeah, I too like short stays. My Gambler is always in the 425mm setting. I thought it might be an issue but I am completely loving this bike. I was also on the fence about 650b but after riding it all summer on my DH bike and getting completely used to it, I now see it as an advantage.
I can give you a contact in the US if you would like to look into the possibilities.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well... my shock isnt retracting fully.
contacted DT Swiss, and they said the have to service the shock in the US or Brazil.

It sucks to send the shock (and having to deal with customs once it comes back), but I will have to schedule my riding in the next few weeks around that. Hopefully, it should take less than a month to send the shock to the US and back.

Guess I will be using my Gambler for 3-4 weekends in a row; or I will schedule some weekend getaways with the wife....