Quantcast

Light and Motion Solo Light

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jacksonpt, Nov 29, 2005.

1. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Anyone have any experience with this light? Seems like a decent buy:
    • 13w hallogen
    • 7.2v NiMH battery (2 hour burn time) I'm betting these are pretty similar to the batteries used in RC cars and such, so easy to find spares/replacements
    • helmet mount, bar mount, and trickle charger
    • $120

Link

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Zark

Zark Hey little girl, do you want some candy?

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 7
    Pretty sweet, I thought the Solo was only 10w..

Solo Logic ($199) is a little brighter and has adjustable brightness for a longer burn time.

Get the Solo Logic Turbo includes the better charger that you can leave the light on the charger w/o screwing up the battery.

The turbo charger alone is $100, get it with the light and its less.

3. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    the Light and Motion stuff is all cool :thumb:

I want the ARC

4. adurham

adurham Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    honestly HID is the way to go it may cost a lot more but the difference is amazing

5. ghostrider

ghostrider 7034 miles, still no custom title

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    I have that exact light and it has worked fine for me. Tons of use and some seriously inclement weather in Arizona this year.

6. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The turbo charger is definitely nice, but my goal is to get out of this cheap without ending up wiht a crappy light. I can deal with the trickle charger assuming it's as easy/cheap to get new batteries as I need them. For the extra cost of the turbo charger, I'd spend the extra $40 or so for an HID with a 4 hour charger.

I'd love to go HID, but no way am I spending that much money on something that I'm not 100% sure is going to get much use. If I end up using it a ton and decide HID is worth it, I'll use the hallogen as a second light in a bar/helmet 2 light setup.

ghostrider - are you getting about the cliamed 2 hr burn time from the battery?

7. ghostrider

ghostrider 7034 miles, still no custom title

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    2 hours is about right. All of the night rides I do are less than that, and I've only had one problem with the light running out of juice. In that case I think it was my own damn fault for not plugging it in. Then there was the time I forgot the battery altogether.

8. BigMike

BigMike BrokenbikeMike

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

Don't even bother. You can take it with you as a backup, or let a friend borrow it, but if you have an HID on, you won't be able to see your halogen.

9. splat

splat Nam I am

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 78
    Well Maybe Windows is Bearable ! Unix Rules !
    :stupid:
    I have a HID helmet Mount, and at first I had my Trail Rat ( 10 Watt Halo ) mounted on the handle bars . THe HID over powered it so it made no difference.

THe only One I have seen that Makes a difference is Ben-o approach a HID on the Helmet and a HID on the Bars.

10. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've heard good things about an HID on the bars and a good halogen on the helmet

On a side note... anyone know if any 7.2v NiMH battery will work with this thing? The LM battery is $100 - can I pick up a regular 7.2v at radio shack or wherever and have it work?

11. splat

splat Nam I am

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 78
    Well Maybe Windows is Bearable ! Unix Rules !
    I don't see why it wouldn't , a basic halogen Light and a Battery is not exactly rocket science.

12. Wumpus

Wumpus makes avatars better

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 154
    That's a waste of the HID. You can ride with only a helmet mount HID, but it is a bit sketchy with just one halogen, though, the jet lite 20w was decent.

Min AH = 13w / 6v* = 2.17 A So using the 70% rule, you will need a 3200 mAH battery.

*remember they use a 6volt light then overvolt it with a 7.2v battery to increase brightness.

13. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yea, that is my thought as well. Would probably have to change out the connector(s) on the battery to fit the LM setup, but...

I was looking at these if I decided I need backup batteries:
    two 7.2v 3300mAh for $35

14. DHS

DHS Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    i've had my ARC since it came out. love the thing to death. the turbo charger really takes about 4-6hours to fully charge it. and the light on low burn is still stupid bright and lasts over 4hours.

15. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    I have the Solo Logic with the turbo charger. Best bang for your buck...awesome light. I race 24 Hr with it on the bars and have never had any issues, and the burn times are as advertised. I think I had mine go for 6 hours on the "low" setting.

16. ito

ito Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    How fast are the recharge times on that light? Would it be enough for a solo 24 hour race?

The Ito

17. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    I'm not sure, I've never been stuck in a jam with it not having charged in time. Running it on low and medium on the downhills I got through a solo 24 with 2 batteries.