Quantcast

Light and wide flat or low-rise bars

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
What are some wide flat or low-rise bars? It seems that either they are lightweight carbon bars that are xc narrow, or they are wide, but somewhat heavy for a flat or low-rise bar.

For some guidelines, something lighter and at least as wide as the Easton Monkeylite DH (225 grams @ 710mm wide)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
don't think you'll find a dh worthy bar lighter than that. the gravity carbon dh is about the same weight & width & available in a 25mm rise. i believe that's the lightest decently low bar out there.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Yeah, just got the gravity. Nice bar, came in lighter than expected too, around 210 in the low rise.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What are some wide flat or low-rise bars? It seems that either they are lightweight carbon bars that are xc narrow, or they are wide, but somewhat heavy for a flat or low-rise bar.

For some guidelines, something lighter and at least as wide as the Easton Monkeylite DH (225 grams @ 710mm wide)

You should add this to the mfg request forum along with cheap ti springs, mg gearboxxes, and free bikes.

They all fit in the same catagory as they do not exist.

If you want 'wide' bars (that is generally considered over 28"), the lightest are burgec @ ~$120 plus shipping from the UK...next are the sunline V1 @ ~$70 and about 30g heavier (300g approx).

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The gravity bar just isn't worth it to me, it is only .5" lower than my Easton bar. The Salsa looks alright and is reasonably priced, but it's also heavier than the Easton bar that I have so I don't see it being worth purchasing, but definitely more so than the Gravity bar.

Aren't flat bars a stronger shape by design? So they should be able to be lighter for the same width and strength?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
You should add this to the mfg request forum along with cheap ti springs, mg gearboxxes, and free bikes.

They all fit in the same catagory as they do not exist.

If you want 'wide' bars (that is generally considered over 28"), the lightest are burgec @ ~$120 plus shipping from the UK...next are the sunline V1 @ ~$70 and about 30g heavier (300g approx).
I don't see why you think this. Low and wide bars seem to be the trend these days and Easton makes a light and strong 1.5" riser bar in a 28" width, so I don't see what is so unreasonable about them making a flat version of that bar.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I ran the eastons last year, the gravity is noticeably lighter. What stem are you running? Flip it or run a lower integrated version, the sunlines seem to be the lowest atm.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I don't see why you think this. Low and wide bars seem to be the trend these days and Easton makes a light and strong 1.5" riser bar in a 28" width, so I don't see what is so unreasonable about them making a flat version of that bar.
It is not that "I think this"...it is reality. Industry takes a long time (in the consumers eye) to react to trends, plain and simple. The bigger the company, the slower to react...unfortunatly, the only companies that are able to push that kind of envelope on weight/strength are big co's with lots of $$ who dont care (that much) about the bike biz.

As an example, the low and wide trend started about two years ago. The first bars to be offered to the public that offer both attributes became available only a couple of months ago, ans many co's are still promising their offerings at this time. Ther are still plenty of mfg that have not figured this out (way more than have). For example, Answer does not offer a bar wider than 26" that is 'low rise'. Many mfg STILL think that wide and tall go together....as do low and narrow.

Easton arguably makes the best carbon bars....but do a search..they DO break! Easton also is a company that makes a LOT more money from business other than bikes. So new, up to date (this years trends) bike bars are certainly not going to be on the front burner for them. The could ahve made a wider version of any of their bars years ago if they wanted.

Just because you want bars that are so light as to comprimise safety, (or some how pushes the current materials technology) does not mean that mfg are willing to make them.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that what you desire is wrong, it is just that reality dictates that what you are asking for is not going to be 'here' for a while if ever (and by that time you will be on to something else most likely).

as mentioned above, ther are many more options for lowering bars, from headset stack height (the most important reason for 1.5 IMO) to stem height, to spacers, etc. I have seen pics of bikes here with 1" of headset spacers and the owner asking for lower bar options....

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I ran the eastons last year, the gravity is noticeably lighter. What stem are you running? Flip it or run a lower integrated version, the sunlines seem to be the lowest atm.
Easton Vice, but I want to get the Risse 1.5 Fox 40 crowns before summer and get an integrated boxxer stem. I was looking at the e.13, but haven't looked at many other stems with the boxxer integrated stem mounts.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Easton Vice, but I want to get the Risse 1.5 Fox 40 crowns before summer and get an integrated boxxer stem. I was looking at the e.13, but haven't looked at many other stems with the boxxer integrated stem mounts.
Why would you want a 1.5 steerer on a DC fork? A standard 1 1/8 can save you at minimum 1 inch in stack/bar height. IIRC the vice bars were ~ 2" rise and not that light. The e-13 stem is also has some rise to it, that you could get away from.

I dont get what you are trying to do. A sunline, or thomson stem with EA70 low or sunline V1 would be lower and lighter than what you are running. If you want a integrated stem, go with a go-ride top crown (for a lot less $$ than the full risse set-up) or a risse top crown and a sunline integrated boxxer stem.....again lighter and lower than what you are currently running.

Whatever you do, going to a 1.5 steer tube, vs a 1 1/8 with a flush mount headset will add weight and at least 1" to your front end.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Why would you want a 1.5 steerer on a DC fork? A standard 1 1/8 can save you at minimum 1 inch in stack/bar height. IIRC the vice bars were ~ 2" rise and not that light. The e-13 stem is also has some rise to it, that you could get away from.

I dont get what you are trying to do. A sunline, or thomson stem with EA70 low or sunline V1 would be lower and lighter than what you are running. If you want a integrated stem, go with a go-ride top crown (for a lot less $$ than the full risse set-up) or a risse top crown and a sunline integrated boxxer stem.....again lighter and lower than what you are currently running.

Whatever you do, going to a 1.5 steer tube, vs a 1 1/8 with a flush mount headset will add weight and at least 1" to your front end.

Excuse me, I have the Easton Havoc 50mm 31.8 stem.
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/860
My current bars are Easton Monkeylite DH w/ 1.5" rise.
My current headset is FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R
http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=137&pid=254
Is the Orbit Z 1.5R something that you would recommend to drop some height?
http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=137&pid=265

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Excuse me, I have the Easton Havoc 50mm 31.8 stem.
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/860
My current bars are Easton Monkeylite DH w/ 1.5" rise.
My current stem is FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R
http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=137&pid=254
Is the Orbit Z 1.5R something that you would recommend to drop some height?
http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=137&pid=265
Again, not sure what your priorities are.....

The stack height of your stem is 29.8 mm. The other headset you posted is 10.7 for a difference of ~ 19mm. The e13 headset sytem can be as low as 6mm.....lowering your front end 24mm or 1 inch.

If low is the priority, then look at the sunline V1 (or similar) at 19mm rise (drop you another 3/4 inch). It will add about 75g (but that is at 29.5" wide....the 28" bars are lighter by about 30g if you can find them) but you could get rid of that agian if you wanted with a new stem (and the headset).

gotta decide the most important: weight, height, width, $$.....

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The stack height of your stem is 29.8 mm. The other headset you posted is 10.7 for a difference of ~ 19mm. The e13 headset sytem can be as low as 6mm.....lowering your front end 24mm or 1 inch.
What headset would you run with the e.13 reducers?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Burgtec Ride Wide:

· 750mm wide.
· Only available in 31.8 oversized.
· Available in 20mm low rise or 40mm high rise option.
· 9 Degree back sweep.
· 4 Degree rise.
· Weight low 265grams high 270grams.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What headset would you run with the e.13 reducers?
Any 'integrated standard' headset. FSA and cane creek make essentially the same thing under different names, like the FSA IS....ditch the top cap and you have the lowest possible set up.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Any 'integrated standard' headset. FSA and cane creek make essentially the same thing under different names, like the FSA IS....ditch the top cap and you have the lowest possible set up.
Okay that's what I was wondering about. You had mentioned a stack height of 6mm is possible with the e.13 reducer cups, but the lowest stack height IS headset I could find was the Cane Creek IS-6 at 8mm and the Cane Creek Solos IS at 8.68mm. 2-3mm is nothing, I was just trying to figure out what headset you used to come up with 6mm.

Are there any negatives to removing the top cap? If it opens it up to getting crud in it and wearing out sooner then I'll take the extra 4mm and use the FSA Orbit Z 1.5r.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
As for bars, here's the info of the ones you have recommended so far,

Burgtec Ride Wide, 750mm wide/ 20mm rise/ 265g, $120
Sunline V-1 750mm/ 19mm rise/ 260g, $60 ...309g actual weight
Gravity Lite 800mm wide/ 25mm rise/ 406g, $75
Chromag Fubar 710mm wide/ 0mm rise/ ???g, $80
Salsa Pro Moto Flat Bar 710mm wide/ 0 rise/ 261g

I can't find the weight of the Chromags, they're the only flat DH bar that I've found. If they're in the 270g or less range, that's probably what I'll go with. The Gravity Lite's are too heavy even though they are a few inches wider. Anyways, they might be fun to try, but I think they are just too wide to be practical around here.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
IIRC my sunline 29.5s were 309g. I posted it a while ago here if you want to search. Sicklines also has them on a scale but the site seems to be down atm.

The gravity 31.5 are heavy, I posted a weight for mine on here as well a while ago.

I cant find stack height stats for the hope step down, but I am farily confidant that it is not less than 6mm...honestly, any less that that(you would have to make the flanges on the cups thinner), and you risk the cups falling into the headtube...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
As for bars, here's the info of the ones you have recommended so far,

Burgtec Ride Wide, 750mm wide/ 20mm rise/ 265g, $120
Sunline V-1 750mm/ 19mm rise/ 260g, $60
Gravity Lite 800mm wide/ 25mm rise/ 406g, $75
Chromag Fubar 710mm wide/ 0mm rise/ ???g, $80

I can't find the weight of the Chromags, they're the only flat DH bar that I've found. If they're in the 270g or less range, that's probably what I'll go with. The Gravity Lite's are too heavy even though they are a few inches wider. Anyways, they might be fun to try, but I think they are just too wide to be practical around here.
I'll repeat Sanjuro since he was ignored:

Salso Pro Moto flat bar - 710mm wide, 261g. What else do you want? http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=HB8016

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
You are impossible. Put a quarter under your pillow tonight and make a wish to the Bike Fairy for DH components at XC weights.
Well WTF is it?

My Easton Monkeylite DH bar is 225g. It's strong and a good DH weight. At 260+g I would expect it to be DH strong. 400g bars are stupid.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Well WTF is it?

My Easton Monkeylite DH bar is 225g. It's strong and a good DH weight. At 260+g I would expect it to be DH strong. 400g bars are stupid.
Well WTF do you think it is Jack?! How many XC bikes come with 28" bars?!

Guys ride DH on XT cranks all over the place. Other guys ride XC on DH casing tires. You're asking for a clear-cut line that will never exist!