Quantcast

Light DH riders & light components…

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I weigh around 150 pounds and used sun singletracks for a few seasons. I only wrecked one in a hard crash but as long as you are smooth and true/tension them frequently they'll be alright.

I'm currently running 729's but switching to 721's converted to tubeless for next season.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Truvativ Stylo cranks are pretty good for light dh racers
I would tend not to recommend them just due to the fact we tend to get the majority of the Truvativ external BB crank sets returned in the end. There seems to be a problem that if then get a big shock you can never get them tight again. Or even if they have just worked there way loose they never seem to be right again. I would tend to stick with Shimano or FSA for external BB. Or there are some good ISIS BBs out there these days and then you can get the likes of Middleburn cranks that is very strong and light.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
What about the "hope pro 2 hubs"?
Are there any good for DH?
(Qr20 front & 150x12 rear)

What about nipples and spokes? What is light and strong?
And cassettes? (Ultegra maybe?)

I'm a hard chargin 235 and I can't break 721s.
You must not be trying to hard. I come in at 135 and gaurentee I could if I really wanted to. (Although I do think Mavic EX 721s are some of my favorite rims of all time, the EX 823s are pretty sweet too).

Truvativ Stylo cranks are pretty good for light dh racers
Don't know about that, my old roomate back in Durango completely snapped the arm in half CLIMBING on a single speed. I would never reccomend these for any dh application.

As mentioned by someone above: strong, light, cheap... pick two!

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I am 180 and I run big boy parts, but my girlfriend weighs considerably less and can save weight in a lot of places.

-all mtn carbon bar, these are narrower and lighter, which work great for a smaller person

-2.4-2.1 tires. with the right combo, a lighter rider can run a smaller (lighter) tire and not have to worry about pinching.

- XC/all mtn rims. once again, for a lighter rider, they will be fine.

-XC clipless pedals, save a little weight, sacrifice very little strength

a shorter travel frame. my girlfriend is 5'4, she has no need to be on a 9 inch travel DH rig. a good freerid bike fits her very well, and will be more than sufficent. next year she will be on a transition Syren. maybe you should look at a lighter frame as well.

Kyle,

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Your the first positive opinion I also see about them. Maybe I don't ride as light as I think but still I'm pretty pissed about trowing to trash sth I bought a week before.

At 135lbs, I think the Industry 9 wheelset with Mavic 721s would be a killer race wheelset. Emphasis on "race set" I doubt I'd run this setup for general thrashing. The Deemax are definately legit too. I've never run any of the dt rims, I think they are too soft, but the hubs are great.

I have seen my bro "barrel roll" with the same Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset several times this year on his hardtail as well as bail on rolls and failed 360s etc. Same wheelset all year, indoor bmx racing in the winter, WC 4x, dirt jumping, etc... and he weighs in around 180lbs. I thought that was pretty impressive for a superlight wheel to survive though, lots of forces coming at wierd angles. Plus, they are still rolling true.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
At 135lbs, I think the Industry 9 wheelset with Mavic 721s would be a killer race wheelset. Emphasis on "race set" I doubt I'd run this setup for general thrashing. The Deemax are definately legit too. I've never run any of the dt rims, I think they are too soft, but the hubs are great.

I have seen my bro "barrel roll" with the same Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset several times this year on his hardtail as well as bail on rolls and failed 360s etc. Same wheelset all year, indoor bmx racing in the winter, WC 4x, dirt jumping, etc... and he weighs in around 180lbs. I thought that was pretty impressive for a superlight wheel to survive though, lots of forces coming at wierd angles. Plus, they are still rolling true.
The issue for me with running AM/XC oriented rims is the rim widths are too narrow.

I've found a happy medium with the Laser Disc FR wheels. The rims is a fair 30mm wide, weighs 570g and has an I-beam down the middle for ridgitity. Never had any denting or warping problems.

Better yet is that the entire wheelset with 150/12 rear hub weighs in at a nice 2070g(4.5lb)...

Tomorrow I'm going to be rebuilding my DualDutyFR's with new spokes and nipples for bring the weight down even more. I picked up a couple boxes of AeroLite spokes and some anodized alloy nipples(stock nipples are brass). Swapping spokes and nipples should save me roughly 150g(1/3lb), but I still have a 30mm wide rim with eyelets, a ridgid I-beam, 2 quality hubs with the rear one being the larger 150x12mm and a wheelset that sits in at 1920g(4.2lbs).

As for cranks, it's getting much harder find a light set of Isis cranks. Extype is great, but spindle length is limiting with those. I did manage to find a 600g ISIS SS crank, the weight includes 2 arms, 1 steel chainring and an aluminum bashring. Running something like the MRP G2, you can remove the bashring and swap the chainring for something aluminum. Should workout alright.

We'll see. I'll have the bike built with the new components by the end of the week.

-Kevin

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island

Nicolas Vouilloz run Peille downhill race and win other local race this season with front crossmax XL and XM819 or Ex721 rear. In Peille he's riding a comp32 at front (2.8!).

I'm 145lbs and in ride in downhill with hope pro2 /Dt Comp / XM 819 and Minion 2.5" tubeless. Zero problem. Stiffer than crossmax XL (same rim but 32 spokes than 24 and larger wide hub on hope than Mavic) and 140grs more heavy.

julien Camelini ride with Hope pro2/ Dt comp / and mavic 721. if he can run with it and 185 lbs, i can run with 2mm widht less. And the profile of 819 is more stiffer in front impact than the 721.

I test last season same build with Ex823 but it's too stiff, heavy and the auto-directionnal effect is bad. I return this season to XM819 definitly ;)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Nicolas Vouilloz run Peille downhill race and win other local race this season with front crossmax XL and XM819 or Ex721 rear. In Peille he's riding a comp32 at front (2.8!).

I'm 145lbs and in ride in downhill with hope pro2 /Dt Comp / XM 819 and Minion 2.5" tubeless. Zero problem. Stiffer than crossmax XL (same rim but 32 spokes than 24 and larger wide hub on hope than Mavic) and 140grs more heavy.

julien Camelini ride with Hope pro2/ Dt comp / and mavic 721. if he can run with it and 185 lbs, i can run with 2mm widht less. And the profile of 819 is more stiffer in front impact than the 721.

I test last season same build with Ex823 but it's too stiff, heavy and the auto-directionnal effect is bad. I return this season to XM819 definitly ;)
The Crossmax SX rim is not the same rim as the 819.

Crossmax SX's are 21mm, 819's are 19mm (inner diameter)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
All this talk on wheels brings a good thought to be thrown out there, I weigh 240, I run Sun SIngletrack. 31mm wheel. Three years now, no major problems, caside from a major case on the second ride I had the, but I was able to true it back out and go. With that said, no matter what wheel you get, remember no matter what the part that is going to make the wheel last the longest is the build itself. Its gotta be a good buildn with the proper prestressing and proper final tension before the wheel leaves the stand. Other than that, Its all about whel maintanance, Best let to the guy building your wheels, but if you can learn how yourself, youll save some cash, ad My only advice I will really give out for that, is to remember you dont always have to tighten a spoke to true a wheel.

There have ben some good suggestion on wheels in here, but dont underrate a wheels ability, having a wheel fail at the worst time is a terrible feeling. In an answer to your original question, there are alot of parts you can run for DH that are lighter, and that you will be very happy with overall, but dont go crazy with wheels. Dont get me wrong light wheels are nice, responsive, quick accel/decel. But dont sacrifice too much strength to save weight. A good way to go if your looking to shave rotational weight, is to go tubeless. Stans works well if you dont want a UST ready wheel, But if you want a really good UST that will hold up, get a mavic 823. Either way, ride and have fun

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I would tend not to recommend them just due to the fact we tend to get the majority of the Truvativ external BB crank sets returned in the end. There seems to be a problem that if then get a big shock you can never get them tight again. Or even if they have just worked there way loose they never seem to be right again. I would tend to stick with Shimano or FSA for external BB. Or there are some good ISIS BBs out there these days and then you can get the likes of Middleburn cranks that is very strong and light.
I am going to agree, but only on the stylo's. were getting alot of those back, If you are going to run truvatives, get eitehr the Hussefelts or hozzefellers<SP> . But whatever you do, remember these setup different than most any other outboard bb style out there.

Oh just a reminder, there bb also measure differently than other Isis drive bb's, you need to know what chainline your bike has, unless of coarse your running something with an 83 or 100 mm shell, then you dont get a choice

SamB

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
New Zealand
I'll be looking at getting some lighter rims when funds allow it, I'm only about 110lbs so I'm not too hard on rims. Running 729s at the moment but they're on their way out (rear has about 4 cracks and heaps of dents, mostly caused by the previous owner). Might just get some 721's but if I can go lighter without compromising too much strength I'll get something else.

What about 819's or 719's? Would they hold up for someone my weight for Dhing? Can you run 2.5" tyres on them without any problems?

Cheers

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
On the topic of the original question, I think that the question of components being overbuilt for a person depends more on their skill, speed and style than it does on weight. I am about 160, ride at expert level and rarely break stuff like rim, cranks, bottom brackets, etc. Guys lighter and slower than me won't run some of the stuff I do. If you break stuff- get something heavier; if you don't- go lighter.

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I am a pretty light DH rider (115) and have squared out DT Swiss, and gone thorugh 5 sets of Azonics this season. Yes, I run extremely low pressure (14 is preferred, 19 on super hardpack), but even at my weight I have not found many wheelsets up to the abuse. on my XC bike I have cross max ST's, and I may use those as DH race wheels. I love them. The I 9 are great, if you have $1200 to drop on wheels. I was looking into the Pimplites-anyone know anything about those?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
What about the "hope pro 2 hubs"?
Are there any good for DH?
(Qr20 front & 150x12 rear)

What about nipples and spokes? What is light and strong?
And cassettes? (Ultegra maybe?)
for light and strong use hopes SS rear with ONLY 6 cogs @ 9sp spacing. http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3804318&postcount=14
i have been using 5-6sp rear fro years. its great, light and strong.
i don't know why more people don't use it.

14-15, alloy of course.

don't cinch on the rim, about 600g

use a kelvar tire. IMO schwable big betty rules!

also a FSA carbon ISIS crank. use on ebay for liek $100.
i have used the same pair for 3 years!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I just put a set of FSA Gravity Light cranks on my 7point and so far I'm loving them. Nice and light but they also seem pretty strong.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
The Fsa carbon's are isis drive, so just buy a good 83mm isis bb and your set.

Middleburns are another similar alternative, how do they compare in weight with each other i dont know.

Rick

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
If I weighed 150 or under I think I could get away with a 30lb DH bike.

Socom w/ air suspension
819 rims w/ 2.4" single ply tires
xc/am carbon bars
xtr cranks
light xc disc brakes w/ 7" front and 6" rear rotor
...just to name a few places that could save serious weight.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Socom w/ air suspension - ok
819 rims w/ 2.4" single ply tires - big no no
xc/am carbon bars - ok ish but not the best place to save weight
xtr cranks - no no
light xc disc brakes w/ 7" front and 6" rear rotor - probably the only one that i would say is legit.

i weight 125lbs and thats just my opinion.

819 rims will give you a horrible tire profile, but they are fairly strong. i would never use a single ply tire, the amount of pressure needed to get a solid feel for the tire in corners would make the ride too bouncy. xc bars, not wide enough and no point taking the risk man. xtr cranks, if you hit a rock, its a force that the crank is not designed for. unless you are willing to change then all the time then its alright.

the brakes i would, i used to run hope minis for a long time, back when i was around 90lbs up until about two years ago. i would use some juicy ultimates or the new hope minis with out thinking twice about it.

the few things that i can say i have got away with are, smaller tires, 2.2 michelins are nice!! but that doesn't save much weight, lighter spokes and alu nipples. thats about it.

i reckon the biggest weight saving for lighter riders would be air sprung suspension and lighter dh frames which are designed around lighter riders.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm ~200 lbs, and I guess would consider myself a smooth rider (rather than plowing? I dunno). On my mini DH/all mountain bike I've been using 819s, single ply 2.35 tires as tubless with sealant, an old swinger 4 way air and stylos for about a year, and riding pretty hard on them.

I don't usually clip pedals very often so that might make a diff for the cranks, and I have noticed that if I corner reeeal hard I can feel something flex, but so far they have stayed problem free.... knock on wood. The swinger however, has started to leak stuff, but I sort of expected that.

I had thought about also going for carbon bars, but couldn't find any that were wide enough and I was a little nervous about jumping with carbon bars.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I'm 1.70m tall,21 years off age and weigthing at 119lbs so i'm realy a ligth DH rider.I ride a Session 10 that weigth's 41.5lbs.888 ATA WC,Formula The Ones,Revox shock 350lbs spring(soon 250lbs) with 40% sag standard some times 45% sag.Im a rider that likes every ride to be super super plush on the suspension feel.I love the plushness off the suspension very motocross feel.What i realy like to have to save extra weigth is carbon handle bars,ligther pedals,mrp carbon bashguard(quite expensive:D ).