Quantcast

Light(est) 35mm clamp, 50mm length stem?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Damn it I forgot this was for 35mm bars, anyways, Gamut are clearing stock and have their
crazy light Cillios 31.8mm Stems down to $25.
I think the matte red looks pretty sweet-
1578999087398.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You are not really calling them crazy light??? Better looking and way lighter and probably more durable too: https://www.newmen-components.de/en/46/mtb/stems/evolution-sl-3184/
Good price for the Gamut though.
Yeah I'm an idiot, read the weight of the 40mm and thought it was for the 50mm stem. Even then it seems I have forgotten how light the other stems in this thread are, it's not even that much lighter than my Profile, hahaha!
It is a properly wide stem with a fair bit of surface area for the clamping area, single piece faceplate stops it looking like a stem off a 20yo Scott XC bike.
I wonder what "Class" the stem is in? This seems like a bold claim- best-in-class longterm durability.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Damn it I forgot this was for 35mm bars, anyways, Gamut are clearing stock and have their
crazy light Cillios 31.8mm Stems down to $25.
I think the matte red looks pretty sweet-
View attachment 140043
what's going on with Gamut? are they winding down operations? haven't heard anything from them lately. edit: i was looking at their chainrings a while back. i'd messaged them inquiring what the offset is (can't find it anywhere) and never received a response.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I wonder what "Class" the stem is in? This seems like a bold claim- best-in-class longterm durability.
From what Newmen has written on another forum, they test their stems and bars according to the "DH Standard" protocol to 200,000 load cycles w/o them breaking.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Deburring a reasonably made sheet metal part via electropolishing seems ok to me. Heck seems better than machining a 45 degree chamfer on some aluminum and calling it a day.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
do we know what flavor alloy the syntace is?
If you are looking for a 31.8 stem then I can highly recommend this one: https://www.newmen-components.de/en/46/mtb/stems/evolution-sl-3184/
Former Syntace employee started the company, they use the same testing procedures and prices are cheaper. I have one 50 mm and a 40 mm, both true to weight. The only drawback is that they look a bit generic, but as you were interested in the Syntace I do not think this matters to you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you are looking for a 31.8 stem then I can highly recommend this one: https://www.newmen-components.de/en/46/mtb/stems/evolution-sl-3184/
Former Syntace employee started the company, they use the same testing procedures and prices are cheaper. I have one 50 mm and a 40 mm, both true to weight. The only drawback is that they look a bit generic, but as you were interested in the Syntace I do not think this matters to you.
That looks very similar to my KS Ether, down to the titanium bolts. Slightly different face place...but very similar.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That looks very similar to my KS Ether, down to the titanium bolts. Slightly different face place...but very similar.
Not really. Symmetric steerer clamp, two piece front plate on the Newmen and it is lighter. I guess if you optimize the structure for the forces the results will look similar between the manufacturers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just buy a syncros. There is no stem.
View attachment 150990
I don't get the joke, but syncros does make a 2014 stem in the length I need
When I bought mine it was listed as 7075 with Ti bolts.
Can't find any info on the alloy type now, even the German sites just say aluminum.
that's helpful. There's no mention of alloy anywhere, but there are a few blurbs that suggest as much.
the newmen is nice and certainly very similar to the syntace, but I don't know why you would select one over the other? I'm a filthy flat-earth american, so the cost to get a newman vs syntace goes up $40 to import a newman vs. ebay snag a syntace.

I'm thinking about scooping up a 60mm stem to stretch out my cockpit a little bit but I don't want to spend a lot in case I hate the handling. I'm piggybacking Udi's thread because I basically want the same thing, except 31.8 and 60mm. I'll take 2014 or 7series alloys and would prefer to keep away from torx in any way possible. I can swap in ti bolts, but I'm a bigger fan of steel...but it's just another step and cost.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the newmen is nice and certainly very similar to the syntace, but I don't know why you would select one over the other? I'm a filthy flat-earth american, so the cost to get a newman vs syntace goes up $40 to import a newman vs. ebay snag a syntace.
OK, didn't realize the Newmen is more expensive for you. Here it is the opposite if buying new. I do not buy Syntace stems used or off Ebay or Amazon because of the fakes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife has 60mm, I have a 50mm Syntace Megaforce2 on our trail bikes, zero complaints.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't get the joke, but syncros does make a 2014 stem in the length I need
I needed a stem AND a handlebar, so I figured WTH. Has worked great for a few seasons now. Out riding the hard-frozen goodness this morning.

1602962382529.png