Quantcast

light for night jogging

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone jog/trail run at night? I need a light, but not sure if a headlamp (petzel or whatever) be steady enough on the trail to be effective. Any recommendations? It will only be used for trail running and camping - no cycling.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I want to start trail running, but the only time I have is in the morning before work, and at that hour, it's still dark out, so...

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
jacksonpt said:
Anyone jog/trail run at night? I need a light, but not sure if a headlamp (petzel or whatever) be steady enough on the trail to be effective. Any recommendations? It will only be used for trail running and camping - no cycling.
I've tried trail running with a few different lights. Headlamps are ok - I've run with both a Petzl Duo and Petzl Zipka. I prefer the even light of the LED Zipka, but it's not quite bright enough. A brighter LED lamp would be a nice choice.

The main problem, though, is depth perception. Headlamps tend to wash out your depth perception and make it difficult to differentiate roots from rust, etc.

I've tried running with a hand held light, but find it very uncomfortable to run while holding the light.

I have a planet bike helmet lamp, which has a very small and light lighthead. I've been intending to make a chest strap for it so that I can try running with the light at chest level. While that'd be incredibly dorky looking, I think it might work out well.

Give it a try though, it's fun.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
grundy said:
I've been intending to make a chest strap for it so that I can try running with the light at chest level. While that'd be incredibly dorky looking, I think it might work out well.
you could be Iron Man

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
jacksonpt said:
so you had OK results with a headlamp?
yep, OK, meaning good enough to get out on the trail, but sub-optimal for fun trail running. I run on narrow, steep, rooty trails, and I'm just not really inspired to get out there with a headlamp- too much loss of confidence. It's fine for nice, smooth fireroads though. On the techier stuff I'm concerned about twisting an ankle.

headlamps are great though, you should use that as an excuse to get one. even if you don't use it for running, you'll love having it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
Jackson I have a Princeton Tec "Scout" and have gone running with it with no problems. www.princetontec.com
I have the EOS. I love that thing. I don't use if for jogging though. I wear it when I walk the dog in the dark, for grilling in the dark, and for general outdoor use when I need light. It's one of my favortie toys. :)