Quantcast

Light parts thread

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm starting this thread because I'm on a quest to make my custom Ti cross bike as light as possible without compromising performance. I've been crawling Weight Weenies (http://weightweenies.starbike.com) and meticulously weighing each part while disassembling my bike. So far it's been interesting. Has anyone else done something similar? Any hardcore weight weenies? My DeSalvo is a 55cm traditional frame and weighs about 1530g w/brake studs. I'll post all of my part questions in here instead of creating new threads.

Does anyone on here race cross with a carbon bar/stem? Do they hold up to the abuse as good as aluminum?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Why? Do you really want to spend lots of money and constantly worry if your bike is going to survive the next lap?

You can easily build an aluminum bike to the low 15's with race wheels and normal Thomson stuff. Ti isn't light, so you're already starting at a disadvantage, but still, what's the point? I wouldn't worry one bit about ENVE stuff up front, but I wouldn't trust my teeth to any other brand.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Why not? To each his own. I won't compromise performance for weight. I'm riding a Ti frame due to sponsor obligation, otherwise I would be on a plastic bike.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Like Mickey says, if I was going carbon up from id go enve. With that said is it that important in cross. My bike starts out around 15.5 pounds and ends up around 17.5 with the added mud.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Like Mickey says, if I was going carbon up from id go enve. With that said is it that important in cross. My bike starts out around 15.5 pounds and ends up around 17.5 with the added mud.
Half or more of our races are in dry conditions. In the mud, weight doesn't matter.

<edit> I'm surprised you all are giving me grief for wanting to lighten my bike :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think the problem is it gets to a point where you've got diminishing returns on weight savings at the expense of durability/affordability, so if your bike is already fairly dialed and there are no big areas to save weight, it just gets stupid.

While putting thought into what you're running so you're not hiding an unnecessary pound or two probably has its merits, but your new ti derailleur bolts aren't gonna make you faster.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
General thoughts on Thomson Masterpiece seatposts?

Are Shorty Ultimates considered light? They're pretty awesome.

My Zipp Service Course SL stem is 20g lighter than a WCS of the same length.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd ride DH on a Masterpiece if I cared enough about weight on my DH bike to buy one, so sure. I dunno what Shorty Ultimates weigh, but they're really good brakes. That's one where I'll definitely take a little weight over lessening performance.

As has been noted, Enve stuff is awesome. Beyond that, what are you running for wheels? I don't think I'd dare run carbon rims for cross, not because I don't think they can't take it, but just because I don't want to have such expensive wheels on a bike I'm going to flog. **** happens, and writing a carbon rim off is a tough pill to swallow. Something like Ksyrium SLs would be nice though. They're not THAT light, but not bad, and in my experience are pretty much indestructible.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I run a mix of carbon and aluminum wheels (typically crosser, I have many sets). I just ordered a set of Short Ultimates because they are supposed to have the best performance. They claim about 110g per wheel, which isn't bad.