Quantcast

light shuttle rig

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
hey, Im sure you guys have heard this a thouand times but Im lookin for a bike. i want a dh/fr frame but its gotta be different then the majority of bikes out there, im 5'9" i only weigh 135 pounds and im pretty smooth so heres some of my preferences:

it has to be light and easy to move around

has to have 6 or 7ish inches of travel, i dont like a monster bike

it has to jump well

i like a low bottom bracket and slack angles

it has to be simple and reliable

i had a balfa bb7 before and besides the fact that it was big i also didnt like the fact that it rode 'in' the trail, as in it was meant to plow through things. i dont weigh enough to us my momentum to push through things, i would rather skip over them. so i want something that is nimble and likes to be in the air.
other then that ya i pretty much only ride whistler, so riding uphill isnt a concern. i dont 'race' dh but sometimes i like to prentend im in a race on the local trails so i like that dh type geometry.

so does anyone know if there is a frame like this out there!??!?
thanks

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
2007 should have a few bikes like what you're looking for coming out pretty soon... Most notably offerings from Iron Horse and Intense....

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The commencal 6'' bike or even their dh bike

Ironhorse type 6 when it comes out

specialized sx trail

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
woa just found the thread on the type 6, the type6-SSO looks dope but if they arent going to produce it no luck there. tried an sx trail, felt OK, rear end felt spongy. and yeah commencals look killer, dont seem to be many up here though, i think there is one dealer on the other side of the country (ontario?)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
SX Trail, Intense SOCOM, Commencal Supreme or Supreme DH, Transition Bottlerocket, Turner Highline, Santa Cruz VP-free with a shorter shock.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Punkassean has an S-works Enduro with a DHX Coil. Combined with a 160mm 36 fork it's money!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Have you read anyone's posts? There's a bunch of listed bikes that would be good.

Also check out a Turner DHR or a Morewood Izumi. DH bikes, but very flickable ones.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would suggest you call a Specialized dealer about the 2005 Enduro.

6 inches front and rear that was speced with a 5th Element Air, but they were upgrading you when you ordered the bike to a DHX Air for $50.00 more. Sick spec, sick price...6 inches and a "bit" lighter than the SX Trail.

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
Have you read anyone's posts? There's a bunch of listed bikes that would be good.

Also check out a Turner DHR or a Morewood Izumi. DH bikes, but very flickable ones.
yup read the posts, both the enduro and the sx-trail dont really have the DHish geometry that im looking fork. intense socom looks cool but a bit too pricey. apparently the ironhorse SSO isnt happening? ive been thinking about a dhr, like you said they look as though they ride very lightly, but they are still pretty big bikes

any info on the sinister's that are coming out dexter?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
yup read the posts, both the enduro and the sx-trail dont really have the DHish geometry that im looking fork. intense socom looks cool but a bit too pricey. apparently the ironhorse SSO isnt happening? ive been thinking about a dhr, like you said they look as though they ride very lightly, but they are still pretty big bikes

any info on the sinister's that are coming out dexter?
Why don't you just buy a DH bike and put a shorter rear shock on it and a 6inch single crown fork?

You will end up with a 6/6 or 6/7 bike with Dh geometry and a very low bb.

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
ya that sounds like a good idea, but it also seems like a lot of time and money to buy a frame, sell the shock, and buy a new shock. id rather just buy a frame that comes set up right to begin with

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would consider the SXT DH geo. 66 degree HA and a fairly low BB w/ short chainstays. I think it rides pretty good.

The short shock would rock.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
ya that sounds like a good idea, but it also seems like a lot of time and money to buy a frame, sell the shock, and buy a new shock. id rather just buy a frame that comes set up right to begin with
But you might not have any option atm. Maybe buy the frame without shock, or get them to put a shorter one in for you.

Not many people are making DH worthy 6inch bikes with Dh geometry. Most 6 inch bikes are trail bikes with steep angles and not so low BB's and are not made to be pounded into rocks at full speed.

Good luck with it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
How about no? It's way too tall IMO for real DH, it doesn't have the slack, low "feel" I like.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
VP-Free too steep IMO, 6.6 or Nomads are really nice, the new SOCOM would be dope. I think SOCOM is your best option.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
transition bottlerocket
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148479

i came off a small bb7 which i loved, except for the fact that it was a plow and tough to trail ride (as you noted).

my bottlerocket is built with heavier parts (i break stuff) at 39.5 lbs. at your weight, you could cut some lbs from the cranks and wheels and bars, and... just about anywhere. you could probably have a 35lb build without much of a problem.