Quantcast

Light & strong wheelsets?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Halloo monkeys! My MudHunny and I are building up a new bike for her ("New Frame" thread in Mud Hunnies forum). I think we've nailed down all of the details except the wheel set. I don't much pay attention to the lighter things in life...they always break!:rolleyes:

We're looking for suggestions for a good strong set of rims for a rider who is 5'2" and weighs b/w 115 and 120lbs. Weight is definately a factor for us here...they must be warranteed for disk use as well. No racing, but serious trail abuse is the calling these puppies need to answer. Thanks yawl! :thumb:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Mavic 317 disc. 395 grams so you won't get much lighter than that. My wifes much heavier than yours and rides those rims hard on the Shore. I don't think I've trued them more than once in two years. There are many other good rims too. I think Bontrager are selling a UST rim as are Mavic. The Mavic is 450 grams though. Even taking the 20 grams that a rim strip weighs its heavier than a 317.

Go with 15-17 butted spokes, alloy niples and hubs like King, Hugi 240 disc or maybe American Classic and you'll have a stinky set 'o' wheels.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I've heard the 317's are good, but I've never checked them out. We'll probably stay away from the UST thing...still gives me some pause:think: ! Thanks for the info tho.

PS: what tires is she running?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Various tires. Panaracer Trailblaster 2.1, 2.3 Conti Survival Pro, 2.4 Motoraptor. We both like the smaller lighter tires for all around use. The bigger heavier ones ones climb like slugs and make the bike handle slower too. But if we're doing a big rocky descent like Ned's Atomic Dustbin, the fattys go on even if the climb up will be longer.

R

RideMonkey

Get the UST. You can still run a tube and regular tire on the rim, and it will allow you to try out the UST system which is really quite good.

Mavic wheels are THE BEST.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Gotta say "no" to the mavic sentiment brother. I rip through their offerings like no one's business! I found love with the RhinoLytes and good set of 2.3 Conti's/2.5 Maxxis. Mavic just hasn't wowed me with any mid-weight rims...their heavy duty stuff is nice, as is their racer stuff...just my stinky opinion.:D My lady, on the other hand, would probably love the 317s from all that I've heard (I checked some out finally). Anyone have any input on the hoops from CaneCreek? Thanks.:monkey: :thumb:

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
www.notubes.com , why go with mavic? This is both lighter and more versitle, the liquid latex will seal punctures, and it can be run with either regular or UST tires. As far as wheels you should check out http://www.oddsandendos.com/ I would take a look at american classic hubs with either the mavic 317, velocity vcx, or yeah, I cannot remember the other.
My $0.02

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:wink: I have to admit that I am a huge fan of the good ole' XT hubs, and wince at the thought of shelling out for the King's or AC's...whats the point?. The (cheap) Shimannos have served me and mine well for many a year:thumb: . Besides, the sound of the King freehubs nearly drives me into a killing frenzy every time I hear one!:crossbone At Pedro Fest last year, it seemed like evryone there was riding them...the place sounded like a bunch of mini-bees trapped in a big tin can!!!

It looks like its gonna be 317's on XT disck hubs w/ Avid mechanicals...we make it to spend it don't we!?:rolleyes: :D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You said LIGHT and strong. XT disc hubs are heavy. The Hugi240 disc hubs front and rear weigh less than just the XT disc rear. XT is reliable, cheap and easy to find parts for and work on. But not light.

I knocked a pound off my bike weight by changing hubs to 240 disc from xt disc, DT revolution spokes and slightly heavier Tioga XC rims.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I hear ya, but at some point we have to factor in cost, I was thinking more of the rotational weight. She was running a RnLt set up...NO NEED!! Put a decent piece of rubber on those rims and shes turning a good chunk of wieght! :eek:

How much did you drop on the 240's? How have they lasted for you maintenance wise?

Who knows, perhaps with the new rig, she'll start dropping huge, and need to go heavy duty!:D