Quantcast

Lighter tire similar to Swampthings?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I love Swampthings on my DH bike, but unfortunately Maxxis doesn't make non DH versions. I'd like to find one tread that comes in ~700gram and ~900 gram versions with similar ride characteristics - awesome in the mud yet breaks loose very predictably on hardpack. A lot of my winter riding involves deep clay based muck which transitions right to hardpack then back to muck. Medusa's may fit for the trail tire, but the side knobs look like they may fold over - anyone tried them? HR2s let go too suddenly for my tastes. Conti Barons 2.3s look very promising as an AM tire but they don't make a lighter version for trail riding. Conti Mountain King 2s look promising as well, although I'm not sure those side knobs would clear that quickly.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Haven't tried the Muddy Marys, but I've heard enough reports about drifting not being that predictable on hard pack. Seems like the same story as a HR2, but with stupid side knob angling. I may try them at some point anyways, but the highest priority is a 700g tire, and they don't make em that light.

Last edited:

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
I love Swampthings on my DH bike, but unfortunately Maxxis doesn't make non DH versions. I'd like to find one tread that comes in ~700gram and ~900 gram versions with similar ride characteristics - awesome in the mud yet breaks loose very predictably on hardpack. A lot of my winter riding involves deep clay based muck which transitions right to hardpack then back to muck. Medusa's may fit for the trail tire, but the side knobs look like they may fold over - anyone tried them? HR2s let go too suddenly for my tastes. Conti Barons 2.3s look very promising as an AM tire but they don't make a lighter version for trail riding. Conti Mountain King 2s look promising as well, although I'm not sure those side knobs would clear that quickly.

Suggestions?
Swamp Things are awesome. They are really underrated I think. They grip and roll really well in all conditions really. But I've ridden Medusas for years as my winter/mud tire on my trail bike and love them. The knobs are actually really solid on the sides and they don't fold at all. The tires grip like crazy obviously and the amazing thing is how well they roll. I tried Ignitors as a winter/mud tire on my trail bike but they are so slow! Medusas are the way to go...try 'em out!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Swamp Things are awesome. They are really underrated I think. They grip and roll really well in all conditions really. But I've ridden Medusas for years as my winter/mud tire on my trail bike and love them. The knobs are actually really solid on the sides and they don't fold at all. The tires grip like crazy obviously and the amazing thing is how well they roll. I tried Ignitors as a winter/mud tire on my trail bike but they are so slow! Medusas are the way to go...try 'em out!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll grab a pair to try.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
WOW...sold. Looks like a light version of the Hillbilly.
The only thing I noticed is that it's a 2.0, but probably true 2.0, which is probably good for a mud tire. I want some, but don't know where I could use them!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Last edited: