Quantcast

Lighter wheelsets

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
What wheelset would you choose for your less demanding riding? ... maybe like super-d, freeride, all-mountain type stuff.

Shimano XT enduro
Mavic Crossmax SX
DT 1750
...probably some others that fit in that category that I'm not aware of.

UST is a plus as are non-DT rims so really I'm not considering the 1750's, just curious how you would compare them to the others if you have ridden them. I didn't find the engagement points of those wheelsets, or the inner rim width of XT enduro wheelset.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
WTB LaserDisk FR or the LaserDisc Trail. Ill be riding the FR this weekend in keysville testing them out

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
mavic wheels are good but hate the freehub bodies there new hubs witch will have 3 pawls instead of 2 should be better just see a lot of problems with them the rims are the only ones i would run though

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
mavic wheels are good but hate the freehub bodies there new hubs witch will have 3 pawls instead of 2 should be better just see a lot of problems with them the rims are the only ones i would run though
Do the SX's have the 3 pawls or will that be a later version?

Since they just began making the SX with the 21mm wide rim, I wonder if they will offer an 821 rim within the year.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I-9's are da best...after that you're picking brand image, they're all pretty similar in quality/performance.
I'll just wait longer and get the I9's if there was any word that Mavic would release a 21mm rim soon. I'm confident in an 819 being strong enough for light dh and 2.5's will fit it fine for the front, but I would be hesitant with one in the rear.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm gonna lace up some singletracks to Hope Pro2s for my slalom bike, I know STs aren't the best rims, but at 17 bucks a pop I had to pick up a few. If I like the Pro2s I think I'm gonna do another set laced to MTXs for my DH bike.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
i never thought much of the crossmax sx's until i just got a set they are sick light and ultra fast rolling.

i'm thinking twice about running some deemax's on the bigger bike instead of the 823/hadley's i have....

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I just built up a strong/lighter setup, too.
King rear, Hope ProII front, CXRays, with Halo Freedom Disc hoops.

I really like these hoops. Identical to Syncros DS28, made in the same factory. Same width as a Mavic 521, but lighter, stronger, and cheaper.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I just built up a strong/lighter setup, too.
King rear, Hope ProII front, CXRays, with Halo Freedom Disc hoops.

I really like these hoops. Identical to Syncros DS28, made in the same factory. Same width as a Mavic 521, but lighter, stronger, and cheaper.

Any thoughts on the DS28 for DH use?

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
Crossmax SX's. I've had mine for everything from Diablo days, to 30 mile xc/all mountain rides. Light and strong. Can't say enough. I'm getting Deemax's for my DH rig.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Crossmax SX's. I've had mine for everything from Diablo days, to 30 mile xc/all mountain rides. Light and strong. Can't say enough. I'm getting Deemax's for my DH rig.
I'm with this fella! I just wish the SX's came in diff colors.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm with this fella! I just wish the SX's came in diff colors.
I wish a 32 hole version of the SX rim was for sale. Until then, I'm going to wait. Although the SX's are awesome and I would get them if I didn't want to mix and match wheels with my current red I-9/823's.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
How exectly do I9s compare to anything else?

Surely the majority of a wheel's weight is in the rim. Folks are saying it doesn't matter what rim you use, just make sure its I9s!

These I9 hubs must be something out of this world to use that claim!

I just can't see how a single hub can be that much better...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco

Surely the majority of a wheel's weight is in the rim. Folks are saying it doesn't matter what rim you use, just make sure its I9s!

They have a super quick engagement, they're light, strong, look good, and they are fairly local being based out of NC.

Just lace them up to whichever Mavic rim fits your need and you have a good wheelset.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
balfarider, your getting on well with the stans rims then?

Are you using them for full on DH use? - im seriously considering a set as im 69kgs and im not a part breaker.

Rick

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
How does the 21mm SX rim compare to the Easton Havoc AM 28mm rim? I am reptty sure those are inside and outside measurements, respectively but it is not very clear.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
How does the 21mm SX rim compare to the Easton Havoc AM 28mm rim? I am reptty sure those are inside and outside measurements, respectively but it is not very clear.
Biggest difference would be that the SX is UST tubeless and the Easton Havoc AM is not.

I haven't heard anything bad about Easton rims, but I've personally only ever had one of their wheelsets on my road bike. I've had plenty of Mavic rims over the years since I started biking and I've never had a complaint.

balfarider22

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Lansing, New York
balfarider, your getting on well with the stans rims then?

Are you using them for full on DH use? - im seriously considering a set as im 69kgs and im not a part breaker.

Rick
rick, im using the flow wheelset for my dh race wheelset. i weigh about the same as you and really like the wheels. stans rims are much stonger than sun rims for example. im sure you would love them as much as i do. also it is very easy to run tubless with them. just yellow tape the inside of the rim and then stick in a valve and you're on your way.

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008

also being straight pull off the rim gives them better side stiffness.

i am use them on the ds28 syncros rim and they feel faster than my old mavics on hadleys

May 25, 2006
For my little bike, I run 719 rims on Hope ProII hubs. I think they are brilliant wheels, and I went with double butted spokes on the front. No idea exactly what they weigh, but they feel good and still solid. In fact, I want to try them out on my big bike at some point, just to see what it would feel to drop a pound or more on both wheels.

If I had the cash to throw around, I would try the Stans Flow rims and would run some single Ply Maxxis tires as tubeless. It would be fun to see how they would hold up for my riding. I think I would go back to my 721 wheels (with Michelin 16s), or at least swap the tires for rougher days (rockier terrain and such).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
also being straight pull off the rim gives them better side stiffness.
i am use them on the ds28 syncros rim and they feel faster than my old mavics on hadleys

Where do you people come up with this stuff????

You should not believe that just because you spent $1000 on wheels, that somehow the laws that govern physics are somehow changed.