Quantcast

Lightest DH worthy pedals?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I'm looking to shed some weight from my dh bike and I know my old 646s are on the heavy side. Shimano is preferred, but I'm willing to branch out for a better weight:durabilty ratio.

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
Well Im still having troubles to find a pedal that will actually hold up to some abuse. But Ive never tried shimano. Times are light but they break easily of rock. The mallets m is pretty light to but again, the damn spindles are only 8mm wide so if you hit them of anything there gonna break. If your looking to shed some weight, dont look at pedals, do rims and tires, everything else is just kinda useless.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
DK Distortion (mag) 17.6oz Ti or cromo spindles
Drive Pro (CNC'd alu) 15.3oz
Wellgo MG-1 (mag) 16oz
Primo Balance (mag) 16.5oz
Xpedo MX force 410g

I perfer BMX style pedals, cheaper, better, sometimes lighter.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Also consider, the pedal is sometimes rotational weight, so that means it is more important than say... a shock, in terms of wieght.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Dufault01 said:
Well Im still having troubles to find a pedal that will actually hold up to some abuse. But Ive never tried shimano. Times are light but they break easily of rock. The mallets m is pretty light to but again, the damn spindles are only 8mm wide so if you hit them of anything there gonna break. If your looking to shed some weight, dont look at pedals, do rims and tires, everything else is just kinda useless.
Been there, done that. Short of going single ply, I've max'd out that option within reason.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Is it possible to adjust the spring tension on the Crank Brothers pedals? And from the design, it appears that any impact from below will push apart the X hold the cleat, thus unclipping you. Does this actually happen?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Xpedo mx-3 are great pedals i got them towards the end of last season and they grip amazingly with the huge spikes and are light as all get out. Watch pedaling into rocks though as the little crossparts will break off if u hit one at a good speed, but xpedo warrantied them for me and sent me all new pedals and some other goodies fast.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
bikenweed said:
Is it possible to adjust the spring tension on the Crank Brothers pedals? And from the design, it appears that any impact from below will push apart the X hold the cleat, thus unclipping you. Does this actually happen?
ya the mallets are way to easy to come out of. so get the time's their customer service is pretty good

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm still perfectly happy with my red Shimano DX-636 pedals, but I'm hoping to get a pair of the new, resin body DX as soon as I or a family member wins that lottery. The new DX are soooo smooth and comfy, plus Baggs hasn't managed to break his yet. That says something right there.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
bikenweed said:
Never happened to me with my mallets.

I don't feel that adjustable tension is necessary on a pedal. Seems like with adjustable tension pedals (shimano in particular) it is easy to get out when you want to, and even easier to release when you dont want to. Or it's difficult to release when you don't want to, but it's even more difficult to get out when you actually want to. Also, Crankbrothers pedals allow you to change the unclipping resistance without affecting ease of clipping in. The reversible cleat seems to work very well for that purpose. Not to mention that Crankbrothers pedals shed mud/dirt perfectly.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i would have to believe that any of the crankbro's stuff is the lightest or at least up there in the first three

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The 5050xx's didn't weigh that much, if you wanted to stay Crank Bro's.

The Shimano DX flat's I have are light. Sure the pins aren't the greatest but they are light. I got the 5050xx's and the DX's. I like them both equally.

Clipless I have the.........hell I don't even know the name or why I have them (incase I ever want to go clipless I guess). They are the.....454's They were just your basic shimano clipless pedal with a cage. I thought I could use them with flats as well but there's no traction for that. Plus my skill isn't up enough to be riding DH clipped in.

I really do like the quality of Crank Bro's stuff. Plus they are thin and feel great under your feet. Same with the Shimano. I had some Zulu's from Ringle and they didn't feel near the same as these 2 pedals.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
bikenweed said:
I'm still perfectly happy with my red Shimano DX-636 pedals, but I'm hoping to get a pair of the new, resin body DX as soon as I or a family member wins that lottery. The new DX are soooo smooth and comfy, plus Baggs hasn't managed to break his yet. That says something right there.

^^^me too

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I love my mallets, the way the clip in/clip out. They never unclip when I dont want to, and I can always get out of them when I need to.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Kanter said:
Xpedos are the lightest flats I could find and they are super strong.

thats a magnesium pedal, either technology has gotten the better of me or it just cant be as impact resistant as an Al alloy pedal.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
vitox said:
thats a magnesium pedal, either technology has gotten the better of me or it just cant be as impact resistant as an Al alloy pedal.
:stupid: I run those exact pedals on my trail bike - if I plan on hitting any trail that has a lot of rocks I have to switch them with burlier pedals or fear of breaking them. Just the few times I’ve hit them on trails rides was enough to already rip a pin or two rights out of their threads.

Light yes - but IMO no strong enought for DH application. Works great for DS/DJ or XC tho…

Another :thumb: up for the Tioga MX pedals – light, wide, cheap and strong.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Anyone who is running the Xpedos... have you changed the pins?

I have the MX-3s and find them to be much less grippy than the Wellgo MG-1s. I haven't been able to find the replaceable pins that Xpedo says are available, so I'm going to be trying some standard set screw-type pins in the Xpedos in an attempt to make them grip better. Right now they are on my urban bike because they're not grippy enough for muddy trails...

At any rate, I'm hoping it's a pin issue and not due to the lack of concave on the Xpedos.

Another question: where can I get a replacement bushing for the Wellgo MG-1s? I have a 2-season old pair that has gotten a little sloppy.

-rob

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The Azonic A Frame Lites (Mag and Ti) are what I used as a race pedal last year. Super lite, and very grippy. They are more fagile than an Aluminum pedal though. I used them for racing only, switching to a standard A Frame for normal riding.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't really like A-frames. They have a tall profile and aren't grippy compared to Tioga's.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
amateur said:
Any thoughts on the Time ATAC's?
Mine have held up fine, but they usually only get bashed riding up stuff or from flying rocks. Using regular(sidi) clipless shoes they don't offer much in the grip department -- the clips are higher than the platforms.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Mallets with steel axles and Al bodys, worked alright for me this year, the axles did bend a couple times. Crank Bros had a new set at my door with in a week no questions or hasles, free. So amazing service, great feel in and out. The cleats wear out kinda fast. I used 2 sets this year @ $20 a pop. Oh they were the cheapest option for me.

Most people I ride with (http://www.asilvertouch.com/DX review) run DXs and love them, no problems. So when I need some new pedals Iam goin to try DX. Thats saying abit seeing how its the only Shimano that will be on my bike.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Syncros crmo and Stainless weigh a ton. Not sure about the new Ti ones but they are probably pretty expensive. I had great luck with my mallets and Crank brothers is a great company so they get my vote

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
lightest i have had/seen where my old welgo mags with ti spindles from some euro company and alternating pins. they where light as a feather and lasted a year and a half of dh. i love my nycfreeride racelites. they are super burly, have a perfect plateform, and are not to heavy. andy doesnt recomend them for street/dj bikes due to the weight so that should say something and their weight.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i have the 5050xx pedals they seam light, but i don't really know. I think they are great all you have to do is change the pins and they seem like they will last forever.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
O by the way, my friend just bought the 5050xx pedals, they really suck, there pins are worthless, he evan had to call speed play to get them to send him some of there drillium pedal pins!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
hey oliver the pins do suck but the pedals are great. the speedplay are ****, they are huge so they are easily hit against rocks like yours and for 130 dollars they are way over priced and easily damaged, once damaged they are un rapairable and you loose the ability to but new pins in.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
DMR v12 mag. Very light, and good pedal. Ti-axels can be fitted, but I'm not sure if Ti-axels are up for dh abuse... Anybody tried it?