Quantcast

Lightest V-10?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You sir have hit the nail on the head.
Loren "The Montashu" is not by any means an aggresive rider. Not to be rude, but my wife is faster than he is on her hardtail and she never rides. Loren likes to talk the talk, and on the internet he is anonymous in a sense that most people on here don't know him. I do. His weight weenie-ism is like big truck syndrome for most...compensation. I love Loren but his methods are questionable and his language sounds legit so it can be very deceiving. Just trying to shed some light.
Dude, it has literaly been 2 years since I last rode with you....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Awww, maybe we should get Sanjuro in on this...then his former AND current co-workers can bash on him. I'd really like to know how you conjured up your weight with a 40 and a coil rear shock.

:cheers:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What does "need" have to do with any of this?

He's 135 pounds and likes a long travel bike. At his weight he can run the lighter stuff and not break it. Who cares if someone's wife is faster?

Ah true, good point. I'm just used to see what the local guys here do to their V10s and there's no chance that they could run those parts. Kram weighs about 135lbs and he's killed a V10 frame and atomlab wheelset. Put him on that spec and it'd be gone in no time. However, to be fair he's a serious contender in a state where having 4 World Cup winners and World Champions show up to a race of 80 people isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Good on this Montashu fellow if he's light and smooth enough to get away with that spec. I know I'd have trouble keeping it in one piece and I'm not really a wrecker myself.

My Turner DHR weighs a shade under 40lbs, and I do like a light bike. But eventually for me the $$$ cost per gram saved and the added fragility of the overall ride wouldn't work for me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You sir have hit the nail on the head.
Loren "The Montashu" is not by any means an aggresive rider. Not to be rude, but my wife is faster than he is on her hardtail and she never rides. Loren likes to talk the talk, and on the internet he is anonymous in a sense that most people on here don't know him. I do. His weight weenie-ism is like big truck syndrome for most...compensation. I love Loren but his methods are questionable and his language sounds legit so it can be very deceiving. Just trying to shed some light.
Yeah, that is a bit of an odd comment to make. I take pleasure in teasing Loren, but I avoid making personal statement about my friend.

It has been a while since you ridden with him. You might want to check your opinion until you ride with him again.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i have a mountain bike. it is white. is has suspension, and tires with knobs. christ, it even has hydraulic disc brakes! it weighs between 35 and 45lbs. i can go off drops with it. i once took it off a jump too. ooooooooo i also race it. will you guys be my friends?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
In fact I do, I am 135 pounds there is no way in hell im ganna be able to throw around a 45-50 pound bike easely.

Oh whatever. Lift some weights instead of your purse and you'll throw a 50 pounder around no problem.

There are local riders not much bigger then you riding much bigger bikes and rockin the hell out of them.

Maybe if you get some muscle on you we can stop having this goddam lame ass 35 pound bull**** v10 turn thread pop up again. ;)

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
You know, I started this thread talking about a 36 pound V-10 but I should have just said a 36 lb DH race bike. If you check the bikes being raced on the WC circuit they are all a lot closer to 36 pounds than they are to 50 pounds.

Tires are the biggest factor and have to be picked for the course and your comfort level. Gazzaloddi 3.0's are long gone for a reason!

I am interested in hearing what others have done to make a lighter bike and how it is working for them. I am a resposible adult; I can decide for myself if it will work for me.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I think its great that people are building lighter bikes. In the last few years the average weight of a dh bike has probably dropped by a few pounds. I too like to see what components are used and the result.
On here there seems to be a safe zone for bike weights... say 37-42lbs.
If your bike is lighter than 37 lbs your weight is bs or it might self destruct when you actually ride it, but if its heavier than 42 lbs, people ask why it weighs so much... :)

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
suck it up. i weigh 130 and had no problem with my m1, which was around 45 lbs, this season.

I know it's cheaper to ride heavier parts, but not everyone needs cranks designed to hold up to badly executed 20' drops by a 200 pounder. You're carrying extra weight around needlessly, and would probably really benefit from picking your parts a little more carefully. But why would you, when you can claim to be a man b/c your bike weighs so much. :rolleyes: Just like the monster truck syndrome mentioned earlier in this thread... :happydance:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I know it's cheaper to ride heavier parts, but not everyone needs cranks designed to hold up to badly executed 20' drops by a 200 pounder. You're carrying extra weight around needlessly, and would probably really benefit from picking your parts a little more carefully. But why would you, when you can claim to be a man b/c your bike weighs so much. :rolleyes: Just like the monster truck syndrome mentioned earlier in this thread... :happydance:
It is possible that gnurider is a very aggressive rider and would break anything lighter than what he has.

Sep 17, 2006
I was just about to post the same thing... I ride DH and MX, and at 135 lbs I can comfortably whip a 270-pound enduro bike and can say that my 225-pound bike feels plenty light.

One of my riding buddies has an old (1997) cheeta prowler with whacked out geometry due to 8" of travel front and rear, which weighs in at 53 lbs and it feels like riding a toothpick to me. I'll admit, I'm not really THAT strong either, I am quite boney. It's all about proper technique, having a super nice bike might help your riding a little but not nearly as much as time and practice. I find it better to work your way up to a better bike as your skills increase, that way you can learn the techniques along the way. Just my .02

It's all about proper technique, having a super nice bike might help your riding a little but not nearly as much as time and practice. I find it better to work your way up to a better bike as your skills increase, that way you can learn the techniques along the way. Just my .02

just like how you always told me, "yeah, dude, these shinguards just totally boost your confidence"...
yeah, they may boost your confidence, but they dont make you a better rider.
having a really nice bike will do the same thing, you may feel like youre better now that you have more confidence in your bike, but it all depends on you...

somebody tell me to shut up, i'm just posting to post... this has probably already been said... well, F.C.D.H pretty much just said it....:bonk:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
it was around 45 with xt cranks. i'm not bragging about how heavy my bike is, i like riding light bikes. i'm just telling him to shut up about needing a light bike because he is a light kid.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why do people who don't like light bikes always have to jump into a thread about 'em and complain?

I wouldn't go into a thread about a BMW or something and complain it's heavy (although not all BMWs are heavy).

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
Why do people who don't like light bikes always have to jump into a thread about 'em and complain?

I wouldn't go into a thread about a BMW or something and complain it's heavy (although not all BMWs are heavy).

I guess its because most of us read this kind of thread and think they're dressing up a barbie doll rather than tapping that sh!t!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Now you guys are picking on him because he's weak? I don't think you realize how stupid you all sound. Weekly there's a thread either trashing Montashu for having a light bike or trashing some bike setup that you found on Pinkbike because it's different. Stop being such princesses and go have fun on your bikes.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Now you guys are picking on him because he's weak? I don't think you realize how stupid you all sound. Weekly there's a thread either trashing Montashu for having a light bike or trashing some bike setup that you found on Pinkbike because it's different. Stop being such princesses and go have fun on your bikes.
Word dude.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Instead og people critisizing eachother I would like to hear more about how to build a light V10 !!
i remember a few years back we came to the concensus of that an extremely light build was 25lbs, add your frame and you have your bike weight.

that almost completely holds true today, only difference is that the boxxer wc dropped 1lbs off the 25lbs figure.

take these v10s for instance, 11lbs frame, 25lbs build, subtract 1 for the boxxer wc. add 1lbs because of not being able to run XTR cranks and the 150mm rear hub. then subtract 3lbs because theyre running single ply tires and FR rims(course specific, imho) and you end up with 35lbs.....

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the tearm throwing around a bike only makes stuff more complicated.
if you are big and strong, you can ride agresively and man handle a bike. but if you are light and weaker,you most proably would be smoother and ride with the bike. you wont be able to man handle a bike and your whole riding style would be difference anyways.

so comparing your weight to your bikes weight doesn't prove anything. kids on moto-x bikes being a great example, so do see them 'throwing around' their bikes like how the big boys do.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
if you are big and strong, you can ride agresively and man handle a bike. but if you are light and weaker,you most proably would be smoother and ride with the bike. you wont be able to man handle a bike and your whole riding style would be difference anyways.
Don't agree with you there.
I've just recently dropped my DH bike from ~41 to ~37 and can notice a pretty big difference in how easily I can manoeuvre the bike.

I used to very much be one of those "ride with the bike" types, being skinny and not weighing much. Now I find I can pick the bike up and throw it around pretty easily, corner more aggressively, and just have a lot more control over the bike in general (rather than vice versa).

I think weight savings are going to be MOST noticed by the smaller/weaker guys, and it can be quite beneficial.

Sep 17, 2006
The point being made by the non weight weenies is that losing a pound or two isn't NECESSARY, you can learn to compensate for the little bit of extra weight. If you're into taking away however much weight you can, then go for it, but you don't NEED your bike to be lighter so you can handle it, it's just all technique.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Don't agree with you there.
I've just recently dropped my DH bike from ~41 to ~37 and can notice a pretty big difference in how easily I can manoeuvre the bike.

I used to very much be one of those "ride with the bike" types, being skinny and not weighing much. Now I find I can pick the bike up and throw it around pretty easily, corner more aggressively, and just have a lot more control over the bike in general (rather than vice versa).

I think weight savings are going to be MOST noticed by the smaller/weaker guys, and it can be quite beneficial.
hmm, i really need to work harder at making my posts clearer.

of course you would be able to flick the bike better with reduction in weight. i know, i am 121 lbs with a 42 lbs bike. but at the end of the day, your riding style when compared to a big strong guy would still be way different. of course small changes make a difference, and differences that you can feel. like you said, be more agressive ect.

i guess i have a diffent point of view, of course weight will help you handle the bike better, but at the end of the day, nomatter how much weight you saved, you aren't suddently going to change your riding style from go with the flow to man handeling the bike like kovaric.
just IMO.:)

guytzuv

Chimp
May 16, 2006
you have got one pair of accurate EYES!

these kind of remarks makes me feel like I'm in some kind of kinderngarden forum

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
The point being made by the non weight weenies is that losing a pound or two isn't NECESSARY, you can learn to compensate for the little bit of extra weight. If you're into taking away however much weight you can, then go for it, but you don't NEED your bike to be lighter so you can handle it, it's just all technique.
To go faster, the best way to spend your money is on a riding course like Mad March Racing etc. :cheers:

The rider is probably 95% responsible for his race time and the bike only 5%. However, DH races are won and lost by margins of less than 1%. Still there is no question that a better rider can whoop your *ss with much heavier bike than yours.

But heavy bikes are NOT faster. They may be more reliable and you do have to finish to win.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
you have got one pair of accurate EYES!

these kind of remarks makes me feel like I'm in some kind of kinderngarden forum
Its called Common Sense. Doesn't take a genius to do the math and figure out your bike ain't under 40.

For the record, my commencal had much lighter parts then yours, and was 40.2 pounds, which is why I call bull**** on almost everybody in this thread, and give them a nutpunch. :)