Quantcast

Lightest V-10?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Dude...

My Sunday is soooo lightweight it levitates in it's own field of anti-gravity....

It weighs -43 lbs. and and is made of stardust and dreams.

The only thing that weighs less are the tormented cries and gnashing teeth of the soul of The Montashu...

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The point being made by the non weight weenies is that losing a pound or two isn't NECESSARY, you can learn to compensate for the little bit of extra weight. If you're into taking away however much weight you can, then go for it, but you don't NEED your bike to be lighter so you can handle it, it's just all technique.
So say you find yourself 50lbs lighter and not nearly as strong as someone else in your class. You will more than likely notice your bike dropping a pound more than he will. Sure you can learn to live with it, but why handicap yourself by having a bike just built like his?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Yes it does, idk where this 37lb comes from, thats a rediculously light stock bike, but for 6 g's it better be damn lite.
For the average racer I'm sure they'd rather have a fairly light bike that will last them most of the season and be fast as balls than a really light bike that they will destroy. I think the guys at IH have found a pretty good balance with the WC.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Its called Common Sense. Doesn't take a genius to do the math and figure out your bike ain't under 40.

For the record, my commencal had much lighter parts then yours, and was 40.2 pounds, which is why I call bull**** on almost everybody in this thread, and give them a nutpunch. :)

i agree with dropmachine 100% on calling bull**** on most peoples "claimed" bike weight.

i know with complete accuracy that my Orange 224 with Boxxer WC and XC tubes weighed between 39 and 40 pounds.

he build was solid but not at all heavy (truvative, thompson, e13, hadley mavic, maxxis, etc).

how you guys get bikes to weigh 5 pounds lighter than this built on frames that are almost 2 pounds heavier than mine in a mystery only the you must know... because it does not exist in the real world.

considering you are starting with a heavier frame (and have the same fork as me) you would need to drop 6 pounds off the other components.

time to get new scales guys... 35 pound V-10's are not race bikes (yours might be a race bike but is no where near 35 pounds)

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
dw siad it was 39lbs with dh tubes.
swapping out the bars, stem, cranks, seat, post and, guide. could shave 2 pounds easily.

easton carbon bars (not much savings but way stronger)
syntace stem (although i dont know if i would sacrifice the weight over a direct mount)
cranks to xt or hone
lg1 guide
i-beam seat and post combo

then you could do ghetto tubeless which would save about 2 pounds

i think its pretty safe to say a 36 pound build is easy with that bike, same parts on an orange and you got a 35 pound bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
swapping out the bars, stem, cranks, seat, post and, guide. could shave 2 pounds easily.

easton carbon bars (not much savings but way stronger)
syntace stem (although i dont know if i would sacrifice the weight over a direct mount)
cranks to xt or hone
lg1 guide
i-beam seat and post combo

then you could do ghetto tubeless which would save about 2 pounds

i think its pretty safe to say a 36 pound build is easy with that bike, same parts on an orange and you got a 35 pound bike.
Doh! I mis-read the weight in the catalog.

One thing is you can't put XTs on that bike 'cause of the 83mm shell. I dunno about Hones though.

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
Could you post some pics?
Here she is with the practice wheels on her:

The E13 light guide and Swinger 4-Way Air

And the front end

I think it is about 38 pounds like this and with the race wheels but with 2.5inch DH tires it is about 37.5 pounds. When the 2.35 inch 2-ply kevlar beaded tubeless Maxxis Highrollers go on it drops to 36 even. That is the only way I have ever had it on the scale but I know I dropped 0.5 pounds with my race wheels from this DT Swiss 440 / 6.1 wheelset. And the 2.35 tires are 1.5 pounds lighter than 2.5's (per pair).

What do ya think?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How does the swinger air feel compared to DHX coils and DHX airs?

I ran an 04 4way coil for a while, and it felt quite active to me for the most part, but I noticed that 05 and 06 swingers felt much more sticky with way too much SPV. Not sure what changed, but is the swinger air like that?

Would just be interesting to hear, as the swinger air comes in better sizes than the DHX air (8.75x2.75) and also has a better form factor IMO - both factors together mean that it will fit far more frames than the DHX air.

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
How does the swinger air feel compared to DHX coils and DHX airs?

I ran an 04 4way coil for a while, and it felt quite active to me for the most part, but I noticed that 05 and 06 swingers felt much more sticky with way too much SPV. Not sure what changed, but is the swinger air like that?

Would just be interesting to hear, as the swinger air comes in better sizes than the DHX air (8.75x2.75) and also has a better form factor IMO - both factors together mean that it will fit far more frames than the DHX air.
I never tried a DHX air but compared to the coil the swinger was way way better. I ran my ProPedal turned all the way off but it was still to much. On my Swinger it was like I had 3 more clicks of propedal to turn it off. I posted my swinger set up earlier on this thread.

See my full comparison report I did for my bike shop titled
"Santa Cruz V-10 Shocking News" Find it here: http://blogs.ebusiness-apps.com/steedcycles/?p=135

I will have to confirm that I am still running 155psi spring pressure. In my earlier thread I said 175psi. I weight 180 pounds myself and I set the spring pressure to give me 40-45% sag and then still found I could back out the SPV volume adjuster all the way without bottoming.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
Doh! I mis-read the weight in the catalog.

One thing is you can't put XTs on that bike 'cause of the 83mm shell. I dunno about Hones though.
supposedly there comming out with an 83mm version for 07.

i dont know if the shaving headtube was in this thread but you can see on that v10 that hole top part minus 1mm can be safely ream'd and faced off