Quantcast

Lightish 29" Alloy Rims?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm running ex174 front and rear with 1.5 revolution spokes and have to retension them every few months, regardless of how high I tension them. They stay relatively true though. And you can feel it when it's time to get out the tensiometer.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
you have the 30mm/25mm combo?
if you wanted to lighten it up perhaps 1.5mm front spokes, and xm421 25mm rear w/1.8 spokes would be suitable
Yes, 30mm xm481 at the front and 25mm ex471 at the rear.
For lighter duty I have Newmen xa25 front and rear with 28 light butted spokes. The rims are quite ding-resistant but I have to check the spokes tension regularly...

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
What's the tire profile of a maxxis wt tire like on a flow MK3 rim? And might a 2.6 be OK as well?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yes, 30mm xm481 at the front and 25mm ex471 at the rear.
For lighter duty I have Newmen xa25 front and rear with 28 light butted spokes. The rims are quite ding-resistant but I have to check the spokes tension regularly...
What are your thoughts on the mixed widths?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've had no issues with a 2.5 WT DHF, 2.4 WT DHRII and 2.5 Assguy on a 27" EX471 in the front. I don't run inserts. But I am not the best at cornering or weighting the front, so moving to 30mm up front is a priority for me. On the rear I'm totally happy with 25mm inner.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'd like to point out something I noticed going from 25 to 30mm front and rear.

I think the U shape being more supportive also by the same amount makes small bump sensitivity
worse........

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I've had no issues with a 2.5 WT DHF, 2.4 WT DHRII and 2.5 Assguy on a 27" EX471 in the front. I don't run inserts. But I am not the best at cornering or weighting the front, so moving to 30mm up front is a priority for me. On the rear I'm totally happy with 25mm inner.
I am deciding between the mk3 or a 35 mm inner width rim for a 29 front wheel for a mullet hardtail. Those are the rims I can easily get at a friend's shop. I already have a 2.5 Assegai and maxxis tires are relatively cheap over here but I'm also thinking of trying a wider tire in the future. The mk3 is cheaper as it came off a barely used bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I can't really see a reason to go w/ the OG at this point, the only downside to those was always the weight and the Vesper corrected that. Most likely vesper...
I'm definitely interested in Vesper's potentially for a future build. I was also looking at the upcoming Box One Stealth hubs, but they're a little heavier. However, I don't think they'd have the slip issues which Vespers can sometimes have under stronger riders in steeper terrain.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'm definitely interested in Vesper's potentially for a future build. I was also looking at the upcoming Box One Stealth hubs, but they're a little heavier. However, I don't think they'd have the slip issues which Vespers can sometimes have under stronger riders in steeper terrain.
I have a OG onyx on my other bike and it is probably one of the single best component purchases I've made. The silence and instant engagement changes the experience for me, esp when I am riding solo...Everything is dead quiet only the sound of tires on the dirt.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I've heard tales of slipping with the Vespers as well, but also haven't seen many in the wild so hard to get a sense for how prolific the issue is for most guys.

Onyx does make a Cam Zink version of the hub which appears to be somewhere in-between the OG and Vesper in terms of weight. I took advantage of Onyx's old partnership with NOBL to buy one of the NOBL hubs, which had additional machining that not only looks nice, but drops another 40-50 grams or so over the OG. No price increase (actually, cheaper in my case), but not sure they can be found anymore. I've honestly never had a hub perform as well as this thing, 2 full seasons later and the bearings are still perfect. It's insane.

Major pro for the Vesper btw is the lack of microspline compatibility for the older model.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is interesting feedback, I wasn't aware that the zink model was different in anyway. I think I am going to get silver regardless so that might be something to look at. I also had not heard of the slippage w/ the vesper, need to do some thinking, weight is def a concern of mine w/ my new wheels.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Vesper also have less fancy bearings.

I need another pair of wheels for my gravgrav bike, just haven't decided on rims.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This is interesting feedback, I wasn't aware that the zink model was different in anyway. I think I am going to get silver regardless so that might be something to look at. I also had not heard of the slippage w/ the vesper, need to do some thinking, weight is def a concern of mine w/ my new wheels.
I'm just going on empty beer, wheel forum chatter. I haven't looked for a while so it might just have been early models.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd like to point out something I noticed going from 25 to 30mm front and rear.

I think the U shape being more supportive also by the same amount makes small bump sensitivity
worse........
I think I agree with this sentiment. Unless you lower tire pressure. But then you get more rim strikes if you ride fast and hard. I'm not sure Im totally sold.