Quantcast

Lights for Night Riding? Sorry...*Bike Related*

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
To make a long story short, it's been pretty hot and humid lately...so I have been staying indoors instead of on my bike.:trophy_br I was thinking about starting to ride at night for a while for three reasons:

1. Cooler
  2. Cooler
  3. Less Rattlers at night due to the cooler weather? No idea if this is true or not..

From what I can tell, nobody likes their lights.....so I will ask this - What do you use? What brand? Helmet or bar mounted? Both?

Info is appreciated!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Jet Lites Phantom w/20w bulb and the "smart" switch for 5w, 10w or 20w selectable output (actually that might be 10, 15, 20). Helmet mounted. 2 hour burn time at 20w which is about right for me. I like the color of the light. HIDs are super bright, but the light looks weird to my eyes. The yellowish-white light of this halogen works for me. Night riding is fun!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Question - Will you be purchasing one light or two? Ideally, you would like a helmet and a bar mounted light, but if your budget doesn't allow for that, I would suggest a helmet light.

HID lights have always been too bright for my tastes. I have a digital light from Light & Motion. It works, and well.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
reflux said:
Question - Will you be purchasing one light or two? Ideally, you would like a helmet and a bar mounted light, but if your budget doesn't allow for that, I would suggest a helmet light.

HID lights have always been too bright for my tastes. I have a digital light from Light & Motion. It works, and well.
I'd purchase one to start - If I liked it I would buy a second light. Thanks for the relpy!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
From what I've been able to gather, the more light the better. End of story. But when I got my light, I wasn't willing to drop a ton of cash on something that I wasn't sure would get much use.

I went with a Light and Motion solo for about $125 (helmet mount). I'm happy with it - good light for the money, works well enough for my needs.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Niterider Storm II (HID) w/a bar mount and Vistalite code 5 for the helmet (5 watt halogen)

I'm happy / no problems

But If I had the $$ I'd upgrade to something better for the helmet, and get a 2nd niterider battery (for all night adventures)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
splat said:
I had used Home made for years ! Never really had a Probelm ( if you don't count 2 small fires ) , But I got a Niterider HID Helmet Mount Love the Light , But it has Failed me 3 times leaving me in the dark . the last time at Monkeyfest.

but that was a wire issue (@ MF), correct?
and did you buy the NR new or used?

splat

Nam I am
douglas said:

It appears to be a Wire yes. does that matter it is still part ofthe system sold by Nite rider and if it fails you are still in the dark. it has been repaired by Nite rider twice , and Yes I did get it used. But I think Knuckles only used it 2 or 3 times , I use it at least 1 -2 times a week all Year long .

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
moff_quigley said:
Jet Lites Phantom w/20w bulb and the "smart" switch for 5w, 10w or 20w selectable output (actually that might be 10, 15, 20). Helmet mounted. 2 hour burn time at 20w which is about right for me. I like the color of the light. HIDs are super bright, but the light looks weird to my eyes. The yellowish-white light of this halogen works for me. Night riding is fun!
:stupid:

I've had this for 2 years and it works well. I need an extra battery for it though for races.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Trainwreck said:
Lume Strada wide beam HID, bar mount. 3.5 hours on the money and NO Niterider flicker. I've been pleased with this light.
I use my lume on my helmet, but the light ships with both mounts.

Less expensive HID option --> http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1395

HIDS have heavier light units than the halogens, because the HID ballast is attached to the light head. I like how the Lume and some other lights let you mount the light on the top of your helmet. The old(still used?) night rider mount was to the front which I dodn't like.

splat

Nam I am
douglas said:
Yup , here it is , the circled part is where the break is that happened at Monkeyfest.

as you can see the wire coming out of teh battery pack doesn't look good , that has been fixed twice before , once by Me and once by Night rider at Dalton last year.

I also Have a Trail rat that the wire has broke on too :(

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I ride a lot at night. So I kind of consider myself an expert. HID lights eff me up as I am colorblind. They throw off my depth perception. I tend to crash a lot while I am using them. And find the annoying on group rides because of the overshine/tunnel effect.

If your not in front using a HID. Then turn it to the low setting as a favor to everyone else. That said....

I use hot halogen bulbs and any Ni Mh battery system. They last forever, are very durable, and with a helmet mount. Work very well.

*edit* Home made or factory...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Man, I had a light... a Marwi Elite w/ helmet mount. Back in the day it was a good light. It caught on fire one day so sent it to Marwi and the fixed it and sent it back. Never has worked properly since then, turns itself off and on while I'm riding.

If I ever get a light setup again I'll be sure to get a set that includes a bar mounted light AND a helmet light. It was always kind of strange riding with just the helmet light because objects had no shadows and no depth... it was always hard to read the trail... and with a bar light you cant see where you head is turned. Anyway, thats my advice I guess... that and dont get anything from Marwi.