Quantcast

lights for towing a trailer

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
So, I have a 1.25" hitch I installed on my vehicle which is a 2002 Saturn Vue for about 2 years now. It's only use is for my bike rack. But I now want to be able to tow a small utility trailer when need be but do not have a light harness to plug into. After calling the local trailer shop, the guy says to me that he could order a harness in and have it in a day and it would be 60 bucks. He also said he " thinks " it's the kind that I would also need to connect to my battery. Not really having any experience with this, is this the only option?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you don't have any kind of harness from the factory, then you will need to install one. They are cheap at any auto parts store, but will be a bit of pain to install as you need to get power from the brake lights and both turn signals.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is an awesome kit at NAPA, but it was like $50. It uses factory pigtails so you don't have to splice into wires. I got one for my Toyota and will never go back to the old wire splice ones again.

You just have to pull the tail light, unplug the harness from the light, plug it into the pigtail, then plug the light into the pigtail and reinstall the light. Both sides took about 20 minutes.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
I doubt that there is a plug and play harness available for the VUE.

I believe you will need something simple like this. I put one in my Saturn Wagon. i just pulled out the taillights and found the correct wires and used some quick taps to connect in to it. It is just 5 wires(left turn, right turn, brake, parking and a ground)

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEB~118130.htm

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I doubt that there is a plug and play harness available for the VUE.

I believe you will need something simple like this. I put one in my Saturn Wagon. i just pulled out the taillights and found the correct wires and used some quick taps to connect in to it. It is just 5 wires(left turn, right turn, brake, parking and a ground)

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEB~118130.htm
Yupper...I don't think there's a Plug & play harness either. Etrailer is great though...I've ordered from them a few times and been very happy with the service and product!

Jul 16, 2019
I am looking for a trailer for my bikes I running a towing company Rite Way Towing NYC we are looking for a trailer which has the capability to take 3 motorcycles at a time, and also trailer must be durable and reliable anybody has a recommendation for me?