Quantcast

Lights under $100?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey all...

I'm going to be riding the 24-hours in the Old Pueblo come this February. I'm going to need a handlebar light but I'm really not sure what I need, other than I can't spend over $100.

I've got a small Cat-Eye light (3 AAA) that lasts around 15 hours, but I'm not sure it will cast enough light. Because I'll be camping as well, I won't have easy access to electricity to charge batteries, etc.

Can anyone recommend something that might suit my needs?

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
thats a tough one, most lights in that price range that cast decent light only have in around 2 hours of use per battery.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Yeah, I'm finding that out. I suppose I could buy three or four of the batteries and have them all charged and use them as needed. Hmmmm.... thanks for the the help.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have an old Cyglo-lite(sp?) two 10w halogen bulb unit and it was like $60 back in the day and ran off of 6 regular c-cell batteries. I got tired of buying batteries and cut the battery cage off and put plugs on to run off my 6 C-cell RC car batteries I had from when I was in Highschool. They quick charge in about 15 minutes and cost about $20 each if you get just basic ones. With the regular batteries the light was so-so but with my RC batteries...man that thing is bright. :D

Just a thought. You could get a $60 unit like I have and 2 additional batteries. (assuming you have a charger or could barrow one) for $100... You could probably buddy up to someone with a generator to charge them. And keep the regular battery cage as a backup with the same connectors the RC battery uses.

I hope some of that made sense. :o:

Good luck

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Have you done this event before? With the amount of cacti on the Old Pueblo course you want to be real sure that you have a decent bright light. Lap times from my experience are usually in the 1 hour to 1.5 hour range on an average.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If you are doing a 24hr race, they usually have a charging station setup. One 10w light is not going to be enough. I having been using one helmet and a bar light and getting by OK. I would go with the Jet light rental thing. They include two batteries with it. Or see if they are renting lights at the race.

btw - spare nightrider batteries are ridiculously expensive.

splat

Nam I am
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2225

are you handy ? Home made is always an Option. I ran Home made light for over 15 years , before a I broke down and got a HID . one of the big advantages to Home made , if it Breaks down , you can fix it ( even on the trail ), the disadvantage , is well some times funny things happen , like fire! ( only once , the 2nd time it only Smoldered a bit. )

if you willing to spend a little more but get a lot more! a little over $200 and get HID
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1395
I know a couple people who went thisroute, the only thing that hadan issue with was the mounting system needed help , ( the Velcro Sucked )

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Hey all... No, I've not done anything like this before. I did ride the course last week (in daylight) so I know what to expect. Cool thing is I just got an $80 gift certificate from the El Tour de Tucson folks for raising a chunk of money, so I'm gonig to throw that at it, along with some of my own money.

I want to go for a helmet AND a handlebar if I can... I'll see what I can find.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I have been involved with lots of 24 Hour racing. the best setup i have seen for charging is a team that had a deep cycle marine battery and an inverter. Plenty of power for charging batteries overnight and quiet too!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Sigma Sport Evo headlight

10w/5w dual (separate) set up. NiH battery, Hbar mount, helmet mount, Hbar extending mount (straps to stem and provides clamping surface if Hbars are full), extension cable for helmet set up, and 6hr charger.
$90
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ATVDX4/102-3581868-0267332?v=glance
$100
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=1620
I have seen it online for under $100. CHecked it out at a LBS and was impressed with the brightness (in a lit showroow). Only thing that might be suspect is the Hbar clamp

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
the best deal I've found so far is the Light and Motion Solo light:
- 13w halogen
- overnight trickle charger
- helmet and bar mounts
- NiMH battery (2 hour burn time)
- $120

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
G-Cracker said:
Hey all... No, I've not done anything like this before. I did ride the course last week (in daylight) so I know what to expect. Cool thing is I just got an $80 gift certificate from the El Tour de Tucson folks for raising a chunk of money, so I'm gonig to throw that at it, along with some of my own money.

I want to go for a helmet AND a handlebar if I can... I'll see what I can find.

with that extra cash, I would seriously think about buying HID

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3436&Catalog=39&sort=price

call wheelworld, sometimes they can sell cheaper but are not allowed to post that low of price

Huph

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Out on the trail
I've been running a home made light set up for years now.

It evolves every year or two.

Started with a 20w IRC halogen bulb and a 4 amp hour SLA battery.

I'm now running 35w IRC and as well as the SLA I have built up a 3.3 amp hr Nimh battery pack, plus I have a 3w superbrightLED.

Night riding rock bigtime.