Quantcast

Lights

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
How do you guys get enough lights without spending tons of money. I have a nice light but what about another one, and spares, and extra batteries, and chargers? How can you get enough lighting equipment to ride without spending well over $1000?

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
How do you guys get enough lights without spending tons of money. I have a nice light but what about another one, and spares, and extra batteries, and chargers? How can you get enough lighting equipment to ride without spending well over $1000?
Well, you can approach some of the smaller light companies about helping to sponsor you (keep in mind, you are asking for HELP, not FREEBIES!). Also, usually a quick charger isn't too terribly expensive, and if you have two sets of lights, one can charge up while you're out on a lap with the other (this does require electricity, though - but some quick chargers will run off a car battery). If you're racing on a team, two sets of lights might be enough. You can also go the cheapest way out and try to borrow lights from your non-racing friends (this will require the purchase of beer, etc., as a bargaining chip:D )

I have six lights - each with its own battery and charger; no extra anything - just six complete sets. For racing solo, that seems to work out well. I did graciously receive some price breaks from my lighting company, but it was still a bit pricey, but then, so is solo racing:eek:

Also, at some of the larger races, some of the lighting companies do bring quick chargers themselves, and many will loan you extra lights/batteries/quick chargers for the asking (and maybe a small fee).

Hope this helps!

tammy

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
A couple light companies usually "sponsor" the races and some even give out FREE loaners, yes FREE! I got two sets last year for FREE but you have to call and reserve them as soon as you can. I also went the borrowed route and mooched off friends that had lights but weren't racing.