Quantcast

Lights

R

RideMonkey

I've been using these Niterider Digital Headtrips that I borrowed. They crap out every time I use them after about 20 min of riding. I stick them on the charger for the full 15 hours, several days prior to the ride. Is it normal for them to discharge like this over a period of a few days? My old Nicad light doesnt discharge like this.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ridemonkey
I've been using these Niterider Digital Headtrips that I borrowed. They crap out every time I use them after about 20 min of riding. I stick them on the charger for the full 15 hours, several days prior to the ride. Is it normal for them to discharge like this over a period of a few days? My old Nicad light doesnt discharge like this.
No, most of my friends have those lights and it is not normal for them to lose their charge like that.
________
Herbal vaporizer forum

Last edited:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
When they are new you have to do a full charge/discharge cycle at least 10 times, sometimes more, before they hold their charge properly. Some of the older models had a problem with the so-called "Smart" chargers. Problem was, they weren't smart and didn't work properly. They should now come w/ the 5 hour quick charger that does the trickle charge properly.

chrisJohn

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fayetteville, AR
Lead acid Turbocats are the way to go. Seriously, I really don't know why more people don't use these lights. After seeing my friends drop comparable amounts of money on NiteRider systems that cycled through all their modes at their own whim, poor cold weather performance, and short burn times, made the decision to try turbocats after reading reviews and talking to an old hippie riding with some. Not knocking old hippies at all. :)

Turbocats are machined aluminum, no plastic, great hardware, actual realistic burn times, plug and forget chargers, at least for lead acid, and after 200+ complete burn cycles, mine are still just as bright as when new.

R

RideMonkey

Actually theres one BIG reason that I have to use Niterider. Cuz they have the fast charging stations set up at the 24 hour races and will only recharge Niterider lights. This is an essential service. Niterider has us by the balls (or ovaries)!!

How long does a lead acid battery hold a full charge after charging? Could I get 3 batteries, charge them up 5 days prior to the race, and rely on them at the race?

chrisJohn

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fayetteville, AR
Never used multiple batteries with the TurboCats, other than the two that came with the dual source 30 system I bought from them. I usually leave them plugged in, but have taken trips, lets see, three days driving and then had complete burn time. The batteries I have are the endurance Lead Acid which are rated for 1.5 hour at maximum wattage(15) fior both lights. Have a buddy who opted for the macho lead acid battery which I've used for 2.5 hours with no problems. I'm sure if left for 10+ days the lead acids would discharge somewhat, but discharge is greatly lessened by simply unplugging the battery from the chrager and or lights when not in use.

Email Elaine at Turbocat, she's has always answered my questions same day and has been super helpful. They have a 24 hour support program, but I don't have any experience with it.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Actually theres one BIG reason that I have to use Niterider. Cuz they have the fast charging stations set up at the 24 hour races and will only recharge Niterider lights. This is an essential service. Niterider has us by the balls (or ovaries)!!

How long does a lead acid battery hold a full charge after charging? Could I get 3 batteries, charge them up 5 days prior to the race, and rely on them at the race?
Niterider makes a lead acid called the Trail Rat. I use this for my helmet light. I picked up an extra battery for 24 hour racing. You can get the exact same lead acid batt. as Nite Rider for $15 if you buy through an electronics catalog. I can give you the info (phone #, model#) if you want. They will hold a charge for days w/o losing more than a couple of minutes run time. They are pretty compact and don't weigh much more than a NiMH. Plus, the races usually have a neutral charging area with a bunch of outlets. I plug my lead acids in here to top them off.

I run the Dig. NiteOwl on the bars and use the Nite Rider quick charge station. It's nice to have one of each type of light, don't feel like I have all of my eggs in one basket so to speak.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Sounds like the batteries are toast probably because of bad charging. Niterider used to say that you could leave the batteries on charge indefinitely without a problem but they have since changed their tune. If the battery is warm its charged and should be disconnected. They claim their batteries will last something like(if I remember right) 300 charges and discharges. I kept toasting batteries,NiMHs in one season because I left them connected to the charger when I wasn't using them. I used them 4 or 5 times a week. I e-mailed Niterider about this hoping they might offer me a new battery but no response. Maybe I'll e-mail them again and ask for a new battery.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by oldfart
Sounds like the batteries are toast probably because of bad charging. Niterider used to say that you could leave the batteries on charge indefinitely without a problem but they have since changed their tune. If the battery is warm its charged and should be disconnected. They claim their batteries will last something like(if I remember right) 300 charges and discharges. I kept toasting batteries,NiMHs in one season because I left them connected to the charger when I wasn't using them. I used them 4 or 5 times a week. I e-mailed Niterider about this hoping they might offer me a new battery but no response. Maybe I'll e-mail them again and ask for a new battery.
Yeah but isnt the whole idea behind smart charging that you can plug it in and leave it? This is the only reason that I wanted a digital system to begin with.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock

Yeah but isnt the whole idea behind smart charging that you can plug it in and leave it? This is the only reason that I wanted a digital system to begin with.
Niterider has fixed the problem. Last year at the 24hrs. of Moab I had problems w/ my Dig. NiteOwl. they did some work on it at the race. Still had problems. When I got back I contacted them. They wound up replacing the battery, charger and working on the internals of the lamp - all under warrenty. They also included an inline quick charger which has corrected the problems w/ the "Smart" charger. It is now actually smart. There used to be a service bulletin about this on their site, but the last time I was on there they had pulled it. I like Niterider's stuff when it is working, which it has been lately. Testing again tonight.