Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I am looking to lighten my freeride rig, and am in search of some lighter tires, but I don't want to sacrifice performance (too much, at least)
I currently have a
26 x 2.5 Mobster 50A on front (1235g)
24 x 2.7 High Roller 60A on rear (1300g)

I am looking at the following:
Front:
Specialized Roller Pro RS wet conditions 26 x 2.6 1151g
Specialized Roller Pro RS dry conditions 26 x 2.7 870g
Hutchinson Octopus Team Comp 26 x 2.5 1100g
Continental Diesel ProTection 26 x 2.5 780g
Kenda Blue Groove 26 x 2.5 870g
Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.5 870g
Rear:
Specialized Roller Pro RS dry conditions 24 x 2.7 790g
Arrow Prime Bite LT 24 x 2.7 1030g

Any other suggestions? I know Maxxis makes some single ply stuff, but I don't think they come wider than 2.35", and I'm not sure that's wide enough for me. I am totally open to suggestions though. What I really want is performance comparisons while keeping weight in mind. And for those of you who know, these tires are primarily intended for Snakeonia, Exit 27 and Woodlot (I usually skip the biggest stunts).

I have a Mavic EX721 on front (28mm wide), and an Arrow FRX on the rear (27mm wide)

I do freeride, trails that are mostly dirt w/ a rock here and there, and some roots. Occasionally wet, but it's summer now. I do not plan on using these tires for Whistler, the tires I am looking to buy are for pedal-powered freeride: drops, jumps, steeps, but nothing ridiculous.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have always wanted to try out those panaracer Fire FR tires - the look dope. I had their XC tire on my HT for a while and they where some of the best tires I ever had.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by Ice Bullit
I have always wanted to try out those panaracer Fire FR tires - the look dope. I had their XC tire on my HT for a while and they where some of the best tires I ever had.
I just put a 2.4 Panaracer FR on the front of my Bullit yesterday. The tire is just massive......especially on a mavic 321. Light weight, under 1100g. Rode it last night and was very impressed with the traction. Looks like a great freeride tire.

mtnbikej

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I thought the same thing IceBullit... my roommate had a set of FireFR 2.4's w. kevlar beads. He didn't seem too thrilled, and when he replaced them with a Minion and a High Roller, he was like "aww hell no I ain't rollin' no Panaracer's no mo!" But thanks for the post yo :)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Kenda 2.5-2.6 single ply sticky rubber tires: Kinetics, Nevegal, Blue Groove. Unfortunately the 24" tires are only available in the heavier DH casing.

www.KendaUSA.com

Takes a big man to pedal around 1000g+ tires for long. I respect anyone who does, while wondering how much faster they'd be if they didn't! ;)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by BRacing
WTB makes some really lightweight tires in big sizes. I believe their Wierwolf is 2.5 and less than 700g.

-B
Thanks for the idea man. Unfortunately, I own a 26 x 2.5 Weirwolf with kevlar bead, and I hate it. Well, I hate it for anything wetter than dust as well as on loamy soil. Never tried it on hardpack. I guess I will :)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well I hate to bust you bubble here but I can guarantee that at least half of the weights you have listed are incorrect....go with the tire that suits you best...maybe try and save weight with tubes instead or other parts...JMO....D

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
ive got a roller pro, and while it has great traction, GOOD LORD THIS THING DOES NOT ROLL. i dont like it. i dunno if its hearvy, or just has a high rolling resistance, but i cant wait for my new wheel + tire.

they also run wider than most tires

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by BMXman
well I hate to bust you bubble here but I can guarantee that at least half of the weights you have listed are incorrect....go with the tire that suits you best...maybe try and save weight with tubes instead or other parts...JMO....D
Thanks for the advice man, but I figure two things:
A. The weight can't be that far off, but yeah, there will be differences because a tire is a hard thing to make weigh the same every time.
B. I already have saved a lot of weight from other parts. The only places I have left to save weight are the saddle (100g max), the bottom bracket (80g), the rear hub (not an option) and cranks (100g).
Now, as far as weight savings per dollar, tires are about as good as it gets. I would not really look forward to getting a lightweight XC saddle to save weight. A new BB is $55, and mine works fine. Cranks are about $70, and again, mine work fine. Hence why I am looking to replace tires (also, tires are the most influential piece of weight on your bike since they carry more rotational mass than anything else). Not that I need to convince you, but it's not like I haven't thought about this. I run a titanium rear axle for pete's sake.
Since I can save upwards of 400g on tires alone, I figure this is the way to go... heck, the DH casing on my Maxxis tires are probably too much for my needs anyway (no such thing as a rock garden in freeriding around these parts).

Oh, and by the way, I have a Nokain 24" tube (about the lightest 24" tube out there that will still fill a 2.7" tire, and a XC front tube (about as light I am willing to go, especially if I want to run lighter casing tires w/ less pinch flat resistance).

Bottom line, I didn't ask for ways to save weight on my bike. I asked for tire suggestions. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not stupid :D

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by SebringMGB
ive got a roller pro, and while it has great traction, GOOD LORD THIS THING DOES NOT ROLL. i dont like it. i dunno if its hearvy, or just has a high rolling resistance, but i cant wait for my new wheel + tire.

they also run wider than most tires
Thanks for the heads up... do you know which roller pro it is? Is it one of the RS's I listed, and if so, what width? Or perhaps just a roller pro, or an evil twin?

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Originally posted by erikkellison
I am looking to lighten my freeride rig, and am in search of some lighter tires, but I don't want to sacrifice performance (too much, at least)
Bottom line, I didn't ask for ways to save weight on my bike. I asked for tire suggestions. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not stupid
Umm...yeah :confused:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Yeah.

Edit:
Why do I always start threads that turn into arguments? I think there's something wrong with me.

I just wanted to be clear that yes, I was looking to lighten my bike, but I was planning on doing that via lighter tires only.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Yeah.

Edit:
Why do I always start threads that turn into arguments? I think there's something wrong with me.

I just wanted to be clear that yes, I was looking to lighten my bike, but I was planning on doing that via lighter tires only.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, your logic just didn't make sense there.

In case you haven't already seen it, here's a review of the Kenda's you're looking at http://www.nsmb.com/gear/kenda.php

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Thanks for the idea man. Unfortunately, I own a 26 x 2.5 Weirwolf with kevlar bead, and I hate it. Well, I hate it for anything wetter than dust as well as on loamy soil. Never tried it on hardpack. I guess I will :)
I've got some too, they roll so slow, made my bike feel heavy. And that was after running 3.oo 24" arrows.
I'm watching this thread too for LT FR tires but they must roll fast.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by dhmtbj
michelin comp 24.1 lite, in the 800g range I think and a proven tread pattern!!
:stupid:

Love the Comp24's, and the lite models lose a couple hundred grams worth of sidewall with the same great rubber & tread pattern...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Oh yeah, let's keep this centered on freeriding. I don't care about how a tire "performs" on the uphill. As long as it's lightweight, that's all that matters. Performance is in the downhill. We're not XC riders here :)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I thought "freeriding" meant you pedalled your rig.

I prefer "shuttling" or "downhilling" or maybe "black diamond" riding for the kind of stuff you're talking about.:p

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Since everyone is loving Comp24 tires. Can anyone post me a link that shows a 2.2 Comp24.1 lite that is 700g???

Also.... every michelin Comp16/24.1 etc etc... is insanely soft compound that will wear out like hell on tarmac transition rides? Thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by math2014
Since everyone is loving Comp24 tires. Can anyone post me a link that shows a 2.2 Comp24.1 lite that is 700g???

Also.... every michelin Comp16/24.1 etc etc... is insanely soft compound that will wear out like hell on tarmac transition rides? Thanks.
Not 700g.. dunno where you got that number. 800g range is what dhmtbj said.

http://cycleus.webmichelin.com/tires/comp24light.htm

Yes, they're soft. But they're no softer than any other soft/sticky rubber from other manufacturers.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Silver
I thought "freeriding" meant you pedalled your rig.

I prefer "shuttling" or "downhilling" or maybe "black diamond" riding for the kind of stuff you're talking about.:p
Freeriding does mean pedaling your rig. But it does not mean that you get your kicks from pedaling uphill. The pedaling is only a means to an end. I think what you're referring to is called "cross country" or perhaps "all mountain" riding. Shuttling does not involve pedaling to the trailhead. Downhilling usually involves shuttling or lift service, or a long walk (again, no pedaling). And black diamond? I should slap you for using that MBA-creation. I freaking hate that mag just because of their unwillingness to use the term freeride, which is what EVERYONE else calls it. I thought "pedal powered freeriding, w/ drops, jumps and steeps" was pretty specific. But in case we all weren't clear on what the prospective tires are meant for, we are now.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by binary visions
Not 700g.. dunno where you got that number. 800g range is what dhmtbj said.

http://cycleus.webmichelin.com/tires/comp24light.htm

Yes, they're soft. But they're no softer than any other soft/sticky rubber from other manufacturers.
Thanks mate.

Unfortunately i cant find the proper UK distributor to check what models they offer. Here i see only listed a comp24 which is 1150gr or something... :(

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So I was just at Supergo and Downhill Zone, checking out tires, and taking care of some miscellaneous business. I observed the following:
Tires with XC sidewalls that will not do much good for pinchflat/rim protection:
Kenda kevlar (both Nevegal & Blue Groove)
WTB Weirwolf
Tires with that much-admired middle-ground sidewall, not to thick, not too thin:
Hutchinson Octopus Team Competition
Michelin 24.1 LT
Specialized Roller RS Pro's

No one seemed to have the single ply Maxxis tires in stock, nor does anyone around here carry Arrow. Thought some of you might like to know my findings as far as sidewalls are concerned.

Oh, and on a side note, Supergo has 2003 Giant AC frames on sale for $599 w/ a Swinger 4-way. Too bad they're not dual crown compatible, otherwise I'd be kicking myself for paying $800 for a new Bullit.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
WTB Mutano raptor 2.4 tires might be worth a look. They weigh in at 690g and are fast rolling. The side walls are thin so you can't run low pressure in them. I am going to try them on my Heckler.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Well, as far as I am concerned, a freeride tire is a tire that has an ideal balance between large size, good grip and light weight. Some might say that weight doesn't matter though, and that's a freeride tire too. The only difference between those and DH tires are that freeride tires don't necessarily roll fast, whereas DH tires necessarily should. Dang, I hope that made sense. If not:
good grip
good sidewall able to take nasty hits
large size to soak up trail irregularities
light weight (more leaning toward pedal-powered freeride)

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Specialized Evil Twin 2.4 ?

Also, 2.3 Nokians DHs are nice tires.

I'd like to try the Michelins though. They look vy. quick.
Anyone know how are flats... are w/ these being so light ? Can you run them at lower pressures ?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
So my current thoughts:
I am leaning toward the Specialized Roller RS Pro 24" x 2.7" in the rear because it is currently dry out, and will be for at least 5 months, and not the Arrow because it is more of a "bite deep in soft dirt" kind of tire, and weighs more than the Specialized by a couple hundred of grams (supposedly). If the Specialized weight is a lie though, and ends up weighing close to the Arrow, I'm going to get the arrow.
For the front tire, I am thinking about the Diesel 26" x 2.5" as long as the rubber is decently soft and the sidewall isn't thin. But I am guessing that it won't be too thin since the version I want is the "super sidewall reinforced" model, and is still lightweight. If the sidewall on it sucks, or the rubber is rock hard, I'm just going to go with the Hutchinson since the tread looks good for summer, and it is relatively lightweight, good sidewall (really good), and hey, it's something new and different.
There isn't much else in the 26" x 2.5+" tire range that weighs less than 1100g and still has a good sidewall. The Kenda Cortez looks interesting, but I bet it has the same sidewall as the Nevegal and Blue Groove, which would rule it out. Maxxis tires are a tad too narrow if I'm running a 2.7" rear (why not run a wide tire and keep the pressure up to reduce rolling resistance for pedaling if the tire is lightweight?), as is the Michelin (though if I had a dual 26" setup I'd run those Michelin Comp 24.1 Soft Lite's in a minute).
Hope this rant helps some others, too.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
get a hasnventure tire set in 2.35 or 2.5 in the 40/50 compound and your golden, single ply also. lighht uber grippy and woprk almost everywhere. couple that with tubeless and lifes awsome

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by dexter
get a hasnventure tire set in 2.35 or 2.5 in the 40/50 compound and your golden, single ply also. lighht uber grippy and woprk almost everywhere. couple that with tubeless and lifes awsome
The Hansventures you speak of are not listed on the Maxxis web site per se - unless all Hansventures are single ply.

Here's what they list:

Buy Part # Tire Size Front Rear TPI Bead Max PSI Weight Durometer Price
TB73572000 26X2.35 60 Wire 65 1050g 50a In, 42a Out
TB73572100 26X2.35 60 Wire 65 1050g 42a In / 40a Out
tb73571600 26x2.35 60 Wire 65 840g 60a

Which are the tires you are referring to?? I have some Hansventures right now - 2003s and I can't even tell which ones they are I think they are the 50a in 42 out ones but I'm not positive.

Can you shed some light because I like the Hansventures I have on my Snipes - but they aren't the lightest which makes me think they are dual ply tires.

Thanks!

Mark

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
As far as I can tell, Hansventures do not come in 2.5". They only come in 2.35", like all Maxxis singleply tires. If you can show me where I can buy 2.5" singleply Maxxis tires, I would be very interested.
Edit:
That does not include the Hookworms.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Oh, and on a side note, Supergo has 2003 Giant AC frames on sale for $599 w/ a Swinger 4-way. Too bad they're not dual crown compatible, otherwise I'd be kicking myself for paying $800 for a new Bullit.
I'm pretty sure the '03 is okay with a dual crown fork, as I understand it only the 2002 and earlier have the warranty voided with a dual crown fork.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by 1000-Oaks
I'm pretty sure the '03 is okay with a dual crown fork, as I understand it only the 2002 and earlier have the warranty voided with a dual crown fork.
Nah '04 is the first year for the DC forks. '03 got different travel, a Swinger, and a slightly different seat tube arrangement, but no DC's.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Sven tha Viking
see if you can get some 2.6 gazzi duals , the have the light casing
I thought the Nokian 2.6s were the Gazz Jr.' s. I can't find any 2.6" duals w/ the light casing anywhere. I think you guys are making up tires...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have been running michelin wildgripper comp 2.5 single ply's front and rear for FR and all purpose on my Bear. They are UST compatible and with a little bit of stans sealant they are pretty much flat proof and stupid light. I am very happy with the traction and just about everything else about them, I wouldn't recommend them for people who live in very rocky areas as the sidewalls are kinda thin, but for wet or smooth or even loose but not jagged rocks they are rad. Don't know the weight but probably like at or under 700gm ea. No 24" though so front only for you.:(

Here's a link to tires sizes and weights for reference...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=usttyres

and for the michelin wildgripper Hot S 2.5

http://cycleus.webmichelin.com/tires/hots.htm

The website only shows the tire in red but I have seen them in local shops in all black recently. And this tire is at least 2.5" wide, it is big and balloon like.

Aside from Michelin, Maxxis tires are great and Specialized are also great but kinda heavy, for light weight I would maybe try their Enduro 2.2, I know it is smaller but it is really like a 2.3 at least and also really light. And has great traction.