Quantcast

lightweight 2.3 xc tire

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by wood-dog, Aug 27, 2005.

1. wood-dog

wood-dog Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Can anyone give me some advise on some lightweight xc (true)2.3 tires?
    They will be used for all mtn. and aggressive xc riding. Thanks for any imput

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Whoa, are there ANY tires at 2.3 that can still be considered "XC"? Back in the day there was the Ritchey Z-Max, but last I've heard they don't come in that size anymore. And, they're not Stans friendly - skinwalls.

Edit: I'm running some IRC Trailbears right now for my trail riding rig - 2.25 and semi-Stans friendly (they leak a bit and require attention once a week).

3. joelsman

joelsman Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    i like my minions. ignitors look good also. maxxis tyres!

4. wood-dog

wood-dog Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have looked into maxxis tires, however they are inaccurate reguarding the tire size. 6 weeks ago I ordered some 2.3 for my DH and when the tires came in they said 2.3 on the sidewall but they were actually 2.1's. I have lost faith in maxxis tires as well as nokian for the same reason. This is why I am looking for a TRUE 2.3. But still, thank you for your input

5. chicodude

chicodude The Spooninator

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 1
    I have a ritchey 2.3 Zmax millinium (sp? I am super tired) And they work great, and they're pretty light too

6. The Rose

The Rose Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Try something a bit different and look into the continental gravity. I run the vapor and It works well in most conditions.

7. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    246 / 1,869
    They're still making the Z-Max 2.3. I've got 'em on the front of my Giant. Who cares about Stan's anyways - just run tubes. :p

8. JRB

JRB Guest

Rep/Likes:
    0 / N/A
    I'm liking some Kenda Kinetics USTs in 2.25. I like Trailbears ok, but like Paully said, not so good with latex.

9. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    437 / 2,767
    They are hard too find but Mosquitos come in a quite large 2.3" and they are very light. That being said they will not last long around sharp rocks. They are my favorite tire for wet roots though.

10. MMcG

MMcG Ride till you puke!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 4
    some of the WTB weirwolf tires come in a light "race" type of casing. I think they come in around 700 grams or so - not too shabby for a 2.3 if you ask me.

11. McGRP01

McGRP01 beer and bikes

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Kenda BG/Nevegal 2.35's. :thumb:

12. jsigone

jsigone Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
  13. Carbon Fetish

Carbon Fetish Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I've been riding the 2.4 on my Heckler with Stans and they been holding up fine. That would be my top choice of tire for that size and weight.

14. jsigone

jsigone Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    How's the cornering grip on those tires? I Like the weight of those tires. I can knock of 1/2lb just from those tires and still have the fatness I want for the rock gardens and cornering grip needed for racing Super D @ Big Bear.

15. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The 2.4 Mutanoraptors are good tires. They roll very very fast but are just a touch unpredictable in the corners. Especially if you push the front end and don't hold it all the way thru.

The Tioga Blue Dragon 2.3 are really good. They wear pretty fast and roll reasonably well but are as predictable as they come in the corners.

Weight wise they are about the same.

Its really a toss up performance wise (one rolls better one corners better) but I've stuck with the tiogas. As the more consistent cornering is more important to me. Though I've burned thru two sets in the time it took to wear out one set of Mutanoraptors...

16. Andyman_1970

Andyman_1970 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 5
    I've been running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs for over a year and a half with no problem - they are pretty specfic to dry hardpack conditions, but corner great.

17. def

def Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I've been running conti vertical pro's for a few years now. I try other tires and keep going back to these. They are labeled as 2.3, but seem a tad smaller - 2.25ish. (if anyone wants to be that anal)

18. Carbon Fetish

Carbon Fetish Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Like what DRB said, "...roll very very fast but are just a touch unpredictable in the corners."